Are you legally required to call the cops after shooting someone in self defense?

Are you legally required to call the cops after shooting someone in self defense?

This is a discussion on Are you legally required to call the cops after shooting someone in self defense? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are you legally required to call the cops after shooting someone in self defense? The reason I ask is because I heard a story where ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Are you legally required to call the cops after shooting someone in self defense?

Question Are you legally required to call the cops after shooting someone in self defense?

Are you legally required to call the cops after shooting someone in self defense? The reason I ask is because I heard a story where the homeowner shot a burglar and the burglar sued him and won. It's so dumb...

VIP Member
    Would you just let the body rot in the entryway of your bedroom until fully dessicated, at which time it become a morbid conversation piece?

Check your state laws. Don't seek legal advice off the Internet.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

We just leave them lay curbside until the trashman comes along...

I assume it wasn't a serious question, hence the not serious answer. Seriously, I can't imagine the "shooter" wouldn't have called the cops, unless maybe it was a BB gun or an air gun of some sort. If it was something between a .22 and a .50 cal, yeah, I'd call the cops.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Why would you not?

Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    Are you legally required to call the cops after shooting someone in self defense? The reason I ask is because I heard a story where the homeowner shot a burglar and the burglar sued him and won. It's so dumb...
    I always just leave 'em for the carnivores and thus the circle the "circle of life" is maintained.
    Drgnfly, LostScout, tdave and 5 others like this.

There are lots and lots of legal issues that can arise from pretty much any shooting. There are instances where the burglar can sue and win, if the homeowner was legally in the wrong.

To be honest, I can't imagine a good reason NOT to call the police. And neither will the judge, if it comes to that.
    Daveditchdigger and RoadKill like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It would behoove you to call 911 ASAP regardless of whether it's "required" or not.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Would you just let the body rot in the entryway of your bedroom until fully dessicated, at which time it become a morbid conversation piece?

Check your state laws. Don't seek legal advice off the Internet.
    It'd certainly be cheaper than getting sued. ;)

But, no it's a serious question. If you let someone bleed to death after shooting them in self defense, can you be held liable legally/criminally for not reporting it right away?

In Indiana, you must report a dead body (regardless of scenario) within 3 hours to either a local LEO, the Indiana State Police, or to a DNR officer. Failure to do so is a Class B midsemeanor and can bring up to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine. If you commit a homicide in Indiana, you still legally have up to 3 hours to report it but you would serve yourself well to do so much more quickly.

In Indiana, you have no duty to render first aid (in any scenario) but you must notify one of the 3 listed above that someone has received a serious bodily injury within a reasonable amount of time or you can be charged criminally and certainly sued civilly. Both criminally and civilly, I wouldn't want to push my luck if involved in a shooting. Call immediately.

This is only here. Iowa has its own codified law. I'm sure it's readily available on the Net.

Administrator
    If you shoot a burglar and the burglar dies instantly you can be sued by his family or his Wife no matter if you called the Police or not.

If you shoot a burglar and you do not call 911 because you intentionally want the bad guy to bleed to death then FOR SURE you are going to get sued (or worse) by somebody because the penalty for BURGLARY is not DEATH and you (in effect) by your intentional inaction would have acted as Judge, Jury, and Executioner and you NOT calling 911 will have resulted in his premature and untimely death.

When you call 911 and report a shooting where the bad guy is shot/injured he will receive the same medical treatment that you would get if you were shot.

They will patch him up so that he can have his day in court and he will hopefully get "put away" for a while.

That is the way our system works....and it still works more often than not.

If you shoot AT a burglar and you miss - you can be sued by your landlord for putting a bullet hole in his wall.

Pretty much anybody can sue you for anything these days.

Just do the right thing and call 911 A.S.A.P. and as quickly as it is safe for you to do so.

I am not a lawyer but, that is my common sense answer just being based on me being an ordinary law abiding citizen.

So take it for what it's worth.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't get legal advice off the internet.

Personally I will call ASAP. If you're going to get sued, you're going to get sued. It's better than somebody else calling in a report of gunshots first and getting 3 in your center mass from a LEO.
    Drgnfly likes this.

I have a friend who is a funeral home director.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    Are you legally required to call the cops after shooting someone in self defense? The reason I ask is ---------> because I heard a story <---------- where the homeowner shot a burglar and the burglar sued him and won. It's so dumb...
    Move on, just a rumor

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you shoot a burglar and the burglar dies instantly you can be sued by his family or his Wife no matter if you called the Police or not.

If you shoot a burglar and you do not call 911 because you intentionally want the bad guy to bleed to death then FOR SURE you are going to get sued (or worse) by somebody because the penalty for BURGLARY is not DEATH and you (in effect) by your intentional inaction would have acted as Judge, Jury, and Executioner and you NOT calling 911 will have resulted in his premature and untimely death.

When you call 911 and report a shooting where the bad guy is shot/injured he will receive the same medical treatment that you would get if you were shot.

They will patch him up so that he can have his day in court and he will hopefully get "put away" for a while.

That is the way our system works....and it still works more often than not.

If you shoot AT a burglar and you miss - you can be sued by your landlord for putting a bullet hole in his wall.

Pretty much anybody can sue you for anything these days.

Just do the right thing and call 911 A.S.A.P. and as quickly as it is safe for you to do so.

I am not a lawyer but, that is my common sense answer just being based on me being an ordinary law abiding citizen.

So take it for what it's worth.
    That would certainly depend on the state. Several states have civil immunity in cases of justifiable defense.

ETA:
    Self-Defense Immunity Laws | Some States Protect More
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Also, depending where you live, if the police find out you waited for somebody to bleed to death instead of calling in 911, you could possibly get manslaughter even if you have justifiably used your weapon. It all depends on what can be proved and what the district attorney thinks about your actions.

Do you really want to open yourself up to judgment by a DA? I don't think so.

Call the police AND request an ambulance. It's the only reasonable way to handle the situation assuming you know you are no longer threatened.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links