KFC experience

This is a discussion on KFC experience within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I think it should be. Tonight my room mate (who is into firearms but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KFC experience

KFC experience

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I think it should be. Tonight my room mate (who is into firearms but does not carry) and I were eating dinner at KFC. I choose the booth in the back corner (we were the only customers eating in the establishment), but I sat with my back to the counter, although I could still see the whole restaurant reflected in the windows. I like to sit with my sidearm (Springfield 1911A1) on the same side as a wall in a booth, its wierd, but that is what I like to do, I guess I feel it gives me more protection from people seeing it print or something.

Anyways, I kept watch on the door in the window, and took notice when a scruffy unkempt looking man walked in and started walking towards the back corner where we were. Instantly this raised a flag in my head, and I put down my chicken and put my right hand down on the table, within an easy reach in case I needed to draw from my OWB. We got some story about how he was hitchhiking and just wanted some food (I tried to tell him that we couldn't help him at the start but he kept talking.) My friend and I both told him no, and he kept talking, at which point I told him very firmly "Sir we can not help you." and he seemed to get the point and left the restaurant without talking to anyone else inside.

Wednesday I was eating at a Wendy's between classes (us college kids have such healthy eating styles I know, but exams are next week and time is at a premium). Since I was between classes i also wasn't carrying. And pretty much the same thing happened, man came in, and asked several customers including myself for money, which I again refused, although other customers didn't one kid acutally pulled out his whole wallet and flipped through bills to find a couple bucks to give the guy.

Sorry about the long read, but, what did I do wrong in these situations? Is there anything that y'all would have done differently? The fact that it has happened twice in a week is kinda disconcerting to me, and I'd appreciate some feedback.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you did the right thing. You can't really stop someone like this from asking, just make it as clear as possible that you won't be giving them any money.

Bummer at not being able to carry on campus. I almost went to Ohio State for my PhD (I'm assuming you're an OSU student based on your name and location) but ended up deciding on University of Utah instead. Turned out to be a good choice as far as carry goes.

"No I Can't Help You..."

loudly and clearly...
    Actually, I have helped a couple of guys in wheelchairs who were not really asking...seemed OK, I may have been fooled...at least my intentions were honorable...

We have a bunch of 'panhandlers' in Gainesville...every corner around the campus (UF)...and every off-ramp from I-75...

I've wanted to get real grubby and try begging (with a sign) for a day, just to see what it would take in...then do a story about it and donate the money to some soup kitchen...just curious! I'm afraid some of my high school students would see me...that would be hard to explain...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why say I can't help you? I communicate my intentions as, I will NOT help you, leave me be! Can't gives the impression that you might if circumstances were different. It gives them a glimmer of hope. Will NOT tells them to cease their attempts.

Getting panhandled was an everyday occurrence when I lived in Sacramento. I've actually been asked for handouts a couple of times in the month I've been here in Birmingham.

When they start coming into the establishment where you are eating, it raises a red flag in my mind that they are taking a more aggressive approach to panhandling. It's a lot easier to walk or run away from some threat on the street. But while you're sitting in a booth trying to eat, you're sort of cornered. Gee, I'd wager that these particular individuals have thought this through.

If anyone not known to me approaches me while I'm backed into a restaurant booth, I'd be on orange/red alert, with my hand at the ready. How quickly could this "panhandler" go for a knife/shank/gun/butter knife/broken bottle or other weapon?

You never can tell about the panhandlers though. Out of hundreds, only one ever got an attitude with me when I said "no".

I think you handled the situation perfectly. There's nothing to proove to these people, but a firmer tone of voice is appropriate if they refuse to hear you the first time you tell them "no".

I always come back with something like, "Sorry. Can't help you today man." But look them dead in the eye with the Jedi-mind-trick "I mean business" look.

And never take you're peripheral/scatter vision off of their hands!
    "A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims." - Ayn Rand, The Nature of Government, 1964

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    one kid actually pulled out his whole wallet and flipped through bills to find a couple bucks to give the guy
    Yep, and one day you'll read about that idiot in the paper.

I went to OSU. The number of homeless near and on campus is too numerous to count.

The only thing I would have done different is get extra crispy from KFC and went to McDonald's for a Filet-O-Fish instead of Wendy's.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

I did get extra crispy, and yes, high street is over run with panhandlers. They don't bother me as much there, because I can just keep moving, but them doin it while I am sittin in a restaurant trying to eat really bothers me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

My advice would be to go to school in Ann Arbor or East Lansing, where that is never a problem!

But seriously, did you complain to the store that they are letting panhandlers harass their customers?

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    I went to OSU. The number of homeless near and on campus is too numerous to count.
    Former liberal arts majors?

Panhandlers???....

Heck, come to Vegas if you wanna see hords of Panhandlers/Bums begging for anything from money, food, booze or a cig. (Muchless the hookers) I would gather to say there are probably 5000 of them at any one time along the Las Vegas Strip coridor. This is one reason I dont go downtown anymore. I've been hit up for change, saying "sorry, cant help you" and then the guy/gal (alot of gals) will then ask the next person coming down the sidewalk. I've seen older women open up their purse and dig for change. Talk about not being aware of their surroundings!! I just shake my head when seeing that.

I too, when I go to a eating place, will try and pick the back table/booth and sit facing towards the entry. Infact last nite, at Tony Roma's, had taken my coat off, after I sat down, so my XD40 wouldnt be showing to the world. Heck, the wife didnt even know I was carrying!

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Katmandoo, with all due respect, Muck Fichigan!

No, I didn't talk to the management, because A; on both occasions I was the last one they asked before they left the stores, and B; the management didn't look like they would have cared anyways. If it was somewhere a bit higher class than KFC and Wendys, i probably would have.
    Some of us who post on this forum are liberal arts majors too (history, specializing in North American Military conflicts post 1750, and a minor in criminology, both technically liberal arts). And I dont recognize anyone of em from my classes.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    ...what did I do wrong in these situations?
    Were you prepared to draw your weapon with a hand coated in the Colonel's secret recipe delivery system? Or were you in the middle of a Tactical Finger Lickin'?

I refuse to eat anything that might interfere with my draw when I am out in public.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; December 2nd, 2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Misspelling
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Or were you in the middle of a Tactical Finger Lickin'?
    ROFLMAO.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Here is a different take. I once was riding on the passenger side with one of the niceness and kindest man you want to meet.

He was a multimillionaire that lost his fortune when a major business went bust due to many different factors. Yet he never complained or changed the way he was, always grateful for every day. He was now working has a sales director for a major company but I new he did not make not even a fraction as before and still owed some former vendors and was working to pay off what he owed.

We pulled up on a light of a major freeway entrance and there was a guy asking for money or work, you know the program. When I saw Nick reach into his pocket and pull out a few dollars, and roll down the window and he handed it to the guy.

Has we drove off I told him that most of these guys if not all are just a front so that they can spend their funds on drugs, liquor, or who know what. He looked at me with this kind look that told me he knew that this guy was probably doing the same. The he said this words to me and I will never forget it “You are right but you know I don’t want to miss the guy who really needs it”. He has passed a way and may he rest in peace, but he had a heart of goal. Sometimes is ok to err in doing good, you never know who really needs it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links