Man aiming a gun at an ice cream truck in front of kids...what would you do?

This is a discussion on Man aiming a gun at an ice cream truck in front of kids...what would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please see the article Children run after resident points gun at ice cream truck . This happened in my neighborhood on Sunday. Here is the ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Man aiming a gun at an ice cream truck in front of kids...what would you do?

Man aiming a gun at an ice cream truck in front of kids...what would you do?

Please see the article Children run after resident points gun at ice cream truck. This happened in my neighborhood on Sunday.

Here is the bulk of it:
    According to police, as the victim was selling ice cream to the kids, Hill became agitated, went into his home and retrieved a 9mm pistol. Authorities say Hill then walked outside with the gun and pointed it at the victim as he yelled obscenities at her.

A police report states Hill said ,"Get the (expletive) out of here" and "There is no (expletive) soliciting in the this neighborhood" and other obscenities.

The victim said she and the children, who witnessed the incident, took off around the block.
    Would you have done anything while carrying, or let it play out under the circumstances? I think I would have let it play out since I don't know if there was immediate danger, but what would you have done?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Depends on whether it was one of mine he pointed the gun at.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    carracer, 40Bob, rigel42 and 2 others like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Aim at my kids/grandkids? That = dirt nap.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Of course the correct answer is either "Walk away" or "Be a good witness" because, after all, we aren't cops.

Poker night
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

It would depend where I was at,If I could call 911,get behind cover and prepare to intervene if necessary.If I felt there was imminent danger,and in this case in Texas you would be justified to take him out.
    we aren't cops
    Your right Cops arrest people.I'm not planning on arresting anybody,chances are some raving lunatic thinks the way to deal with an Ice Cream truck is to grab a gun and confront them has crossed a line,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep. Kentucky Law also allows intervention on behalf of non-familiar "others". But you lose the definitional protection of "self defense" so, by law, your best guess better be RIGHT. What if it was an undercover cop serving a warrant on a child-predator ice cream vendor?
    robhic, Ianthin and oldman45 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Apparently Hill the man pointing the gun called it "a dumb mistake" I guess that does make him a master of understatement if not himself.
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Yep. Kentucky Law also allows intervention on behalf of non-familiar "others". But you lose the definitional protection of "self defense" so, by law, your best guess better be RIGHT. What if it was an undercover cop serving a warrant on a child-predator ice cream vendor?
    Would the undercover cop being pointing the gun in the direction of a lot of children and complaining about soliciting?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Through-out history, the "dumb mistake" sure has cost a lot of... lives.
    USM1976, 357and40 and oldman45 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Really, they guy is in his own yard brandishing and threatening, which is an aggravated crime. In my state this would probably be a good shoot, even though he's standing on his own land, but that doesn't mean it's the best course of action. The icecream person did the absolute right thing, and if leaving deescalates the situation that is way better than a confrontation. There is no reason to take it up a notch, only to be ready to take it up a notch if this idiot starts shooting. Clearly he was concerned with the vending truck, and not the kids (not that they couldn't easily be unintended casualties), and shooting at him would probably endanger them allot more than yelling at them to run.

911 for me is the only course of action in that situation. Yell at the truck and the kids to leave (as if you're on his side) and deescalate, deescalate, deescalate. I think introducing another pistol into this situation is a bad idea. If I decided to do that, and was in my home, I'd answer his pistol with an AR, and if he didn't drop it I'd drop him, but again, this isn't the best course of action IMO.
    Aceoky, Dennis1209 and Buler like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I would think pulling a firearm on the the guy while children were around would be a bad idea. If by pulling my own gun I caused him to open fire and a child was injured or killed, I don't think I could live with the guilt. Even if I was justified. I think the best thing to do would be to try to defuse the situation. "Put the gun down and let her leave. Let's not settle this with all of the children around." But staying out of it and calling the police would also good approach as well. That guy definitely needs some jail time.

What I would have done depends on the degree of threat I see, how "real" I think the risk of murder actually is by this guy (or, merely threats), and whether I think I can actually make a difference. I'm not in the business of capturing miscreants, on a daily basis. But I almost surely won't allow a murder to occur right then and there if there's something I can do to stop it.

Trick is, knowing it's a "valid" SD situation, knowing who the BG is. If coming from down the street, who's to say a new arrival would get it right? If having been right there with kids then this guy storms off and returns swearing threats, it'd depend on the believability of the threats. Sure, a gun itself is threatening, obviously. But there are blusterers and there are folks crossing to the real deal.

For me, it would depend on what I perceived that situation to be, whether the kids were out of the way, whether I believed I could make a difference, and I'd have to know for certain the players in the situation (not merely seeing a gun and hearing yelling). Unless those conditions existed, I'm pretty sure my choice would be for calling 911 and herding the kids out of the way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Never, ever, run out of chocolate!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with Jaeger along with StirlingXD. I also think 9mm man needs some serious head shrinking.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links