Road Rage

This is a discussion on Road Rage within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heres a situation I've been wondering about the past few days... A friend told me that a couple weeks ago during the day he was ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Road Rage

Road Rage

Heres a situation I've been wondering about the past few days...

A friend told me that a couple weeks ago during the day he was driving to work in heavy traffic minding his own business and some guy is intent to cut in front of him as his lane is ending and he needs to merge left. My friend not appreciating being the one waiting in the line for several minutes while this other guy just rides the shoulder as long as he can, inches his car enough to leave no room for this guy to get in front of him. This other guy now pulls a gun and points it out the window at my friend saying in Spanish to let him in. My friend, who is unarmed, lets this guy in front of him (obvious decision when you are unarmed). Question is, if you are armed, what do you do?

2. Remove Ads

Hit the brakes. Call 911 immediately. He has the drop on you. Getting into a rolling exchange of gun fire is probably a very dumb move. Not sure what language is spoken has anything to do with situation.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diver123 View Post
    Hit the brakes. Call 911 immediately. He has the drop on you. Getting into a rolling exchange of gun fire is probably a very dumb move. Not sure what language is spoken has anything to do with situation.
    Bingo, best answer.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by diver123 View Post
    Not sure what language is spoken has anything to do with situation.
    It matters, because you may or may not understand what is being said. It confuses the situation even more for a non-spanish speaker. He may be saying "pull to the side of the road you are coming with me" for all you know it could be an abduction attempt. My friend is American and its a big assumption that he would understand spanish. In this situation my friend understood what this guy was saying, but that can't be taken for granted. Also keep in mind in this specific situation, 911 is not likely to respond unless shots are actually fired. This is Central America after all.

If you feel you can get a clear shot off quick enough and take cover at the same time, do you take it?

...I think a rolling gun battle is one of the most stupid things with which I could involve my self.
    USM1976, OD* and 9MMare like this.

Let him in. I'm not getting into a gunfight over getting cut off.

I'd also be gripping my Service Six in my console area, cock it into single action and be prepared to fire back if he escalates anything to a higher degree.

He may have threatened my life but he has got the drop on me and I'm no cowboy.
    9MMare likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...I think a rolling gun battle is one of the most stupid things with which I could involve my self.
    Maybe I should have explained this better. It is bumper to bumper traffic. Both cars are essentially stationary. However, I'm surprised at the reluctance to get involved in a "rolling gun battle" under any circumstances, but thats a whole other scenario. I can think of a number of defensive situations that could justify that response, but again I'll save that for another scenario.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Agree, Brake an call 911 with full details, plate # and any other info. possibly follow bg at a very safe distance with 911 on the line.

Would the response be the same if the guy pointing the gun didn't say anything at all? Obviously implying to "let him in" with the gesture, but you can not be certain about his intent...

...someone points a gun at me...his intent's crystal clear...you still don't want to start a rolling gun battle...let the fool in and report him to the police...some things are worth dying for...a place in a line of traffic isn't one of them...
    Sister, msgt/ret, WHEC724 and 7 others like this.

Mind your own business, apologize...wave him in to cut in front of you, get his plate number and call 911 to give a description of the car and driver. Get distance between you and the idiot.
    No good will come from getting involved with 'road rage'. I know it's tough sometimes to suffer a bruised ego, but that's much easier to handle than a bullet hole or an 'arrest for involvement'...what we'd like to dowhat we need to do

I have apologized for the actions of others so as not to get involved in a 'verbal battle'. It can be difficult to do, but I guarantee that you will forget all about it in a while...stay cool and let the idiots have the road.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Again, I should clarify. I would never advocate getting in a gun battle over road rage or pride ever (or even think that a scenario like that is open for debate).

The question here is, without knowing FOR CERTAIN why somebody you don't know is pointing a gun at you, how do you react?

Remember this scenario takes place in Central America in a country with one of the highest aggravated murder rates in the world and this could be an abduction attempt or assassination. A situation like this is not out of the ordinary. At the end of the day, somebody is pointing a gun at you, and you may or may not understand what he is saying (which makes a big difference IMO).

This may be more than just road rage, you do not know FOR SURE. But do you take that chance?

VIP Member
    Everyone is saying the right thing. Back off, let him in, get the tag, call the police. That said, it would be hard to resist making a hard turn into him while drawing and closing distance on the guy. I do not take guns being pointed at me lightly. I'm sure I wouldn't do that, but I'd have to talk myself out of it.

EDIT- I didn't understand that this did not happen in the United States. For all the reason you are trying to justify doing something stupid and getting into a gun fight over someone driving like an idiot there's one big problem. The guy could be saying, in Spanish, that he is a police officer on official duty and to stop being a jerk and let him do his job. Take a shot in that situation and in many Latin American locations you've signed your own death warrant.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member
    The guy pointed a gun at you. Get the plate number and call the police like the others told you to do. If he was acting that crazy he probably already has an arrest record, you would be doing society a favor by getting this guy out of the public.
    msgt/ret and Aceoky like this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    But do you take that chance?
    Yes, you take the chance and let him drive off. It's much easier to let a road rage jerk cut you off and not get into a gunfight than it is to start shooting at a guy because he may want to abduct you.

If he escalates anything further, it's either time for ramming speed or returning fire.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links