In the back of the store when armed robbery goes down?

This is a discussion on In the back of the store when armed robbery goes down? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a new CPL. This scenario has been going through my mind lately. What do you do if you are in the back of ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: In the back of the store when armed robbery goes down?

I am a new CPL. This scenario has been going through my mind lately. What do you do if you are in the back of the convenience store and two gunman come in to rob the store? Stay concealed and let them go? I don't want them deciding to rob the patrons as well when I have my weapon IWB. That could get me killed if they discover I am concealed. Warning shot from behind? I prefer to have my weapon out and ready but I know if they see me before I fire a warning shot then that takes away my advantage.

No warning shots. It's hard to say what I'd do, but it would not involve any warning shots. If I'm in the back of the store, presumably not being seen (depends on lay-out of course), I may be at low-ready and assess things from there.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Welcome from Memphis. BB said it right ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Stay low. Find cover. Un-holster and stay ready. Be a good witness.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Stay Out of it.. JMO.. PS- If you can ; )
    H/D
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I guess I forgot to mention that I carry a double action SIG and I do not keep a bullet in the chamber. I have 3 little ones and it concerns me. So now I am also in the store needing to load the 1st round. I have a feeling that the response on this will be pretty much the same. Keep a bullet chambered. So the slide cocking noise will also attract the ears of the robbers.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    I guess I forgot to mention that I carry a double action SIG and I do not keep a bullet in the chamber. I have 3 little ones and it concerns me. So now I am also in the store needing to load the 1st round. I have a feeling that the response on this will be pretty much the same. Keep a bullet chambered. So the slide cocking noise will also attract the ears of the robbers.
    Ok, let me jump on this before the can of worms blows up and gets all over everyone...

Fine, don't carry with one in the chamber. Go get some weapons training from a qualified instructor, then get more trigger time with your pistol. Once you do those things, you'll trust your weapon and you'll start carrying with one in the pipe because you fully trust that the pistol isn't going to go off on its own and your kids aren't going to somehow be able to cause it to discharge (assuming you always use your brain and keep your firearms inaccessible to them).

Don't get too worked up about the way you carry but do go get training. It'll provide you with skill and confidence and give you the experience you need to make good decisions.

FWIW, I've carried striker fired pistols ready to go, around all my children (from infant stage to now) and none of them have ever been able to come even a little bit close to discharging my firearm.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A warning shot is more likely to unloose a barrage of gunfire. What you will do in that situation is between you and your conscience at that time in that situation. The responses are infinite. Either way, keep one in the chamber.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    All of us have bad mental images in our heads, that we dont even know we have. Ever seen the show "Gunsmoke"?

Marshal Dillion steps out into the middle of the street, facing down a gunman. Draws his pistol, fires one shot, immediately reholsters, and thats the end of that!

Well, that kind of image, in my opinion, is the kind of thing that is apt to get one killed.

Ever wonder WHY a lawman would face down a gunman, and give him a fair chance at illegally killing him??? Well if not, start wondering now, because its b.s.

Like the idea of giving a warning shot, OR, doing something insanely stupid like "yelling" at a gunman so he turns around towards you, so that you dont shoot him in the back.

I wont even bother to write about carrying without one in the chamber.

Get some training. It doesnt just train the body to put holes in paper targets...it trains the mind, to keep you alive.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member
    How many rounds do you have on your person? Have you made the decision to shoot in defense of some person you do not know? Do you know what will happen to the life you live today once you pull that trigger? Israeli special forces do not carry with one in the chamber they draw and rack the slide in one motion. For me and only me. If there is no shooting and people are only going to lose some money I am a good witness. If I am concealed properly the bad guys will never know I have a gun. I watch the news like most of you and see people standing around while someone gets raped or beat. Are these the people you are going to ruin your life to protect or is it the ones that want to take your guns from you that you are going to protect?

For me I am a witness unless my life or the life of my family are in danger. This was not easy for me to come to this conclusion.

I will tell you of a man who sees a woman jumping around on the side of the road. He gets out to help her and she is screaming and withering around so he holds her thinking she is having a seizure. Along comes another man who thinks she is being attacked and starts beating on the first responder. The police arrive and both good samaritans take a trip to cross bar hotel. Note the woman had a 8 year old in the car who had a lizard that got loose and went down her blouse and she panicked. What would you have done???
    Respectfully,
    Bill
    maxwell97, tnlc9 and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I will tell you of a man who sees a woman jumping around on the side of the road. He gets out to help her and she is screaming and withering around so he holds her thinking she is having a seizure. Along comes another man who thinks she is being attacked and starts beating on the first responder. The police arrive and both good samaritans take a trip to cross bar hotel. Note the woman had a 8 year old in the car who had a lizard that got loose and went down her blouse and she panicked. What would you have done???
    Respectfully,
    Bill
    This is why I have a policy of always removing blouses and checking for lizards before doing anything else....
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Everyone thinks and acts differently, so most people will act different when scenarios happen. You can plan for it, but when something happens your body will either go into flight or fight status. Do what feels right at the time.

But never ever do a warning shot. Carrying concealed legally you are responsible for everything you do with your gun. Personally I feel warning shots are the most stupid thing anyone can ever do in a self defense scenario. Only shoot at what you intend to shoot. Warning shots will end somewhere but you have no clue where. Do what you will in the scenario, but for the safety of everyone, never do a warning shot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    nechaev, gatorbait51 and bigpapa like this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Ha Ha........happened to a cousin of mine....he was a refrigeration repairman who was working in a bar when the stick-up guys came in. he was working on the units in the basement and as he was coming up the stairs he looked through the door and saw the place was being held-up....Ha Ha...quickly he went quietly back down the basement and hid behind the equipment until the BG's left........that's it.......he survived....ha ha ha.
    gatorbait51 and Recon1342 like this.

I consider a DA the same thing as revolver which always has a round chambered. How many folks keep the first round empty on a revolver? I have only been carrying 1 week. Someone tried to break into our house @ 1AM in July. He was a 19 year old kid burglarizing cars and the police were chasing him through the neighborhood. He wound up on our back deck trying to hide from them, he tried to come in, door knob checker.. In TN it is mandatory to have a Carry Class and I have been to the range several times and feel comfortable enough to handle my weapon accurately. It is now that I have started to keep it on me (more often than not) that I have started to ask myself these questions. This particular scenario has me asking myself.....about keeping a live round in the chamber. I keep my handgun in a wall mounted safe if it is not on my person. Except when I am sleeping then it is with me under my pillow. The one thing I learned in class is...there are 2 people coming to you after you fire your weapon....the police and the lawyers. The civil consequences has me more concerned than the criminal. So I guess my question is more of a civil question which would be "Did I feel I was in immanent danger?" I guess it depends on what the armed robbers decided to do next. I cant shoot them in the back, legally. I would have to wait on them to turn their attention on me and then it would be too late if I am sitting their without a bullet in the chamber.

It depends on the situation, but unless there's some reason to believe the robbers plan to kill everybody, I'd say it's best to play the odds and not start a gunfight that probably wouldn't happen otherwise.

I tend to listen to Massad Ayoob on such matters, as he's much better informed than I could hope to be. His take: two plainclothes armed officers are sitting in a Starbucks when a robbery occurs. One says to the other, "look, they're robbing the barista." The likely response, if no physical violence has taken place: "Yes they are. How's your latte?"
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    Me, I would stay concealed and stay out trouble as long as possible. I'm not going to let loose bullets to save a store the $324.67 in the register and a rack of twizzlers.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links