The doctors office

This is a discussion on The doctors office within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You're sitting in the doctors office waiting room reading those old magazines waiting to be called for your appt. when a man bursts in office ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: The doctors office

Sponsor

The doctors office

You're sitting in the doctors office waiting room reading those old magazines waiting to be called for your appt. when a man bursts in office door with gun in hand.

He rushes to the receptionists desk demanding to see the doctor RFN. He's not threatening the receptionist nor the other patients in the waiting area, but he's obviously agitated, and acting aggressively.

He's ignoring you and the other patients, his attention is fully on the receptionist. His back is to you, but he has the capability of potentially seeing you or other patients in his peripheral [ if you move from the chair, he may see that movement or may not ].

The receptionist has called the doctor to come to the front desk per the gun toting mans directive and did not notify him of the potential impending doom he is about to meet.

You've dressed for the doctors visit that morning, what do you do?
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Leave

What do I do? I know what I do not do... Hypotheticals....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Hard to say not being in that situation and hope i never am

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I hope it is the doctor's brother wanting to show him his new pistol.

I would get another magazine, because your wait just increased by A LOT.
    Tzadik, Gearhead, niks and 9 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    What do I do? I know what I do not do... Hypotheticals....
    It's something that could happen anywhere in the US, forethought goes a long way, thus not just hypotheticals, but realistic hypotheticals.
    USM1976 likes this.

I'm cancelling my appointment, because I heard the Dr. was having an affair with the agitated man's wife.
    Hopyard, oldnfat and Sister like this.

Hopefully, you are cc and cool headed.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    ... a man bursts in office door with gun in hand.

... not threatening the receptionist nor the other patients

... obviously agitated, and acting aggressively.
    Until it gets to the point of outright threats of murder, IMO the best bet in a small, typical reception room like that is to either (a) exit stage right, or (b) be fully prepared to rapidly engage if defending against it is required. For those willing to step up to the bar in a third-party situation they feel they can alter, then a third option might be to attempt to either talk down or take down the assailant. With gun in hand, it's elevated to a deadly situation, potentially, and some would argue that's all that needs to be know, but without outright threats being made it's a fine line as to whether it'll go there.

In a reception area, there aren't likely to be places of cover. Exiting through the door is likely to draw the attention (if not outright ire/aggression) of the assailant. Preparing to draw or even drawing and waiting could be seen by the assailant and spark a gunfire inside that reception room. And if there with family or others, the options get "minimalist" pretty fast.

Can't say what I'd do, exactly. I've certainly thought about such situations in smaller rooms with one entry point like that, such as offices, small restaurants. Not a lot of options, beyond waiting it out, exiting, or preparing to fight.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Until it gets to the point of outright threats of murder, IMO the best bet in a small, typical reception room like that is to either (a) exit stage right, or (b) be fully prepared to rapidly engage if defending against it is required. For those willing to step up to the bar in a third-party situation they feel they can alter, then a third option might be to attempt to either talk down or take down the assailant. With gun in hand, it's elevated to a deadly situation, potentially, and some would argue that's all that needs to be know, but without outright threats being made it's a fine line as to whether it'll go there.

In a reception area, there aren't likely to be places of cover. Exiting through the door is likely to draw the attention (if not outright ire/aggression) of the assailant. Preparing to draw or even drawing and waiting could be seen by the assailant and spark a gunfire inside that reception room. And if there with family or others, the options get "minimalist" pretty fast.

Can't say what I'd do, exactly. I've certainly thought about such situations in smaller rooms with one entry point like that, such as offices, small restaurants. Not a lot of options, beyond waiting it out, exiting, or preparing to fight.
    :thumsup

Preparing to draw or even drawing and waiting could be seen by the assailant and spark a gunfire inside that reception room

Excellent point sir, In this scenario, how many could draw their firearm without drawing attention to themselves based on where they carry it from seated? In my own case, the BUG 640-1 in the back pocket could be easily drawn and concealed without showing furtive movement.

In this scenario, with his gun openly displayed, I'm not waiting to get a gun in my own hands asap. Things can go from bad to worse in a heartbeat, and I can't draw in a heartbeat seated, let alone standing. A gun in the hand beats any draw stroke time.

The BG has presented a deadly threat when he walked into the docs office with gun in hand. It appears to me that AOJ is in play here. I carry when Im at the docs office. I also carry AIWB, I check for my foreground and background, then engage with extreme violence.. In my state I am allowed to defend a third party. I am not waiting around to see if I will become his victim...

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    In this scenario, how many could draw their firearm without drawing attention to themselves based on where they carry it from seated? In my own case, the BUG 640-1 in the back pocket could be easily drawn and concealed without showing furtive movement.
    Again, it depends on specific circumstances ... proximity, direction the assailant is facing, the level of his attentiveness to the room of people. It might well be utterly simple to draw and hide the drawn gun in full preparation of rapid engagement. It might well be possible to exit stage right, depending. But if off to the side of the assailant at the desk, within his peripheral vision, as you point out it's altogether likely the movement will be seen and reacted to as provocative/threatening.

At some point, though, it's entirely possible for the situation to "go green" and at that point you, likely, either keep as clear as you can or engage. It'd depend on the size/shape of the room, whether one has family there, whether one is close enough to make a difference, whether the room's full or empty of others. Any of those factors could alter things.

One nice thing about larger practices is that the reception rooms tend to be larger, with more entry/exit areas. Seating well away from the reception area is something like sitting with back to the wall in a restaurant, affording a good view and potential rapid exit if needed. If up close and personal, the options would be drastically cut down, I'd think.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Depends. For all I know, he is disappointed in the performance of the handgun he bought off the doctor on Craigslist yesterday and wants his money back.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The BG has presented a deadly threat when he walked into the docs office with gun in hand. It appears to me that AOJ is in play here. I carry when Im at the docs office. I also carry AIWB, I check for my foreground and background, then engage with extreme violence.. In my state I am allowed to defend a third party. I am not waiting around to see if I will become his victim...
    Man Mistakes Hero for Attacker, Kills Him in Doctors Office - Lansing, MI

(AP) Lansing police have arrested Harry Ball for voluntary manslaughter after he shot and killed a man who had just saved 3 women from being abducted from the business next door. Police say 27 year-old John Hero, a legally armed citizen, had just intervened in an abduction at the Curl Up & Dye Beauty Salon moments before entering the doctor's office, still carrying his legal weapon in his hand. Hero had gone to the doctor's office to seek the immediate help of Dr. Smith for one of the women who has stabbed by the assailant during the confrontation at the salon.

When Hero entered the waiting room of the doctor's office, police say that Ball completely misunderstood the situation and, in what police chief Paul Bunyan described as a classic example of why civilians shouldn't be allowed to carry guns, shot and killed Hero while Hero was desperately trying to get the doctor to come next door to help the woman who was stabbed. Police say the woman subsequently died of her wounds.

Ball was heard muttering something about he has the right to engage with "extreme violence" at any time he chooses....... Watch for a follow-up story on tonight's news at 11 when station manager Joe Libtard talks about ciitizens and guns and why Ball is a perfect example of how the whole 2nd Amendment rights cry has gotten so very far out of hand.
    robhic, Jake228, Tzadik and 5 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links