Armed Pizza Delivery -- What I have learned...

This is a discussion on Armed Pizza Delivery -- What I have learned... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also delivered pizza's in high school. I remember having $300-$400 bucks in my pocket or money bag a night, weekends possibly more I can't ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armed Pizza Delivery -- What I have learned...

I also delivered pizza's in high school. I remember having $300-$400 bucks in my pocket or money bag a night, weekends possibly more I can't remember. We couldn't get rid of it until the shift was over and they tallied everything we owed for pizza's delivered. The left over was the tip's and "driving money", can't remember the exact amount! I think $2.00 per delivery or some such. I remember bringing home from $75.00 to $150.00 a night depending on the night/weekend whatever just in tip's and "driving money" back then, not bad for 10th grade. Never had a problem but I think I was more lucky than anything.

Looking back I can't believe that we were allowed to carry that much cash with/on us. We were responsible for all of it too. I remember a kid that lost his money bag one night, I can't recall the amount he owed but it was substantial and ended up working for free several night's to make it up.

I'd never do that today nor let my kid do that. It was crazy to be honest, I was just lucky to live in a decent area that nothing really ever happened that caused concern enough to think twice about it back then.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

2. Remove Ads

Good post, non ninja.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    IMO any delivery/service person should be allowed to carry----Period. At least they have a fighting chance. More than a "Hot Pie" in the face anyway.
    Now there you go being reasonable! Having CCWed as a Paramedic at times, when permissible, I must say that it should be formally allowed by your employer, and it would help if CCW laws recognized that some people can't just disarm before entering a prohibited area. Can you imagine a Paramedic or delivery person saying, "Hold on, I need to lock up my piece before I come through the door?"

Suppose you are working a Paramedic zone car, respond to the local jailhouse for an injured prisoner. Do you declare your weapon at the sally port and use the gun locker? Do you leave it in the zone car, that will be driven to the hospital by someone else? What do you do? (I won't tell you what I did, Fifth Amendment!)

Suppose you respond to the courthouse for a medical emergency in a courtroom?

Suppose you respond to a person injured in the kitchen area of a bar?

OK, these are the only 3 places I KNOW I'm barred from in VA, but I know every state is different.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Nope

Zero Mall Ninja Rating from me. Not even Mall Ninja ish. Thanks for the post SQL.

Sounds like I need to recalibrate my mall ninja meter because it's still getting readings.

The Richard Davis incident in 1969 was a pizza delivery nightmare. It's well described in the book "The Ayoob Files." Many of the above steps would apply to guarding against just this sort of ambush, assault.

Thanks for the thoughts and tips, SQL.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Several years ago the Newport News PD (VA) tried a sting of pizza delivery robberies. The undercover delivery man was forced down into a prone position by several BGs. His weapon became uncovered and he was summarily executed.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Which is why I moved out of that particular Newport News, VA condominum complex. Yes I did live there (back in the day... '93 as I recall.)

It's right up there with driving a cab.

I too had a couple of "eye openers" while slinging "round cuisine" on a couple of occasions. It became plain that a deadly force threat can appear almost out of nowhere in a slit second, especially at night when your job takes you into areas that you'd rather not frequent at any hour.

Those pizza jobs always stuck in my mind and only added to the list of reasons why I carry, even decades later.

Give up the cash, pizza, and hotbag... but never your life without a fight!

Good luck out there.

(+100 on the car safe. Hope you have a remote unlock on your fob.)

Off The Topic...

but I used to deliver pizza for a guy named 'Tom Monaghan', in Ypsilanti, Michigan, when his place was called, Dominicks...back in the 60's...

I was a young college guy trying to make a few bucks, he was trying to start a business. Anyone know who he was/is?

It was a lot safer then too!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Anyone know who he was/is?
    Of course. A pizza making legend. He was the first to say, "Hey, we'll get it there in 30 minutes or its free." Owned the Tigers for a while too.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Armed Pizza Delivery -- What I have learned...

Quote Originally Posted by PgSqlQuery View Post
    Heh, dunno, I've been in more than a few 'uncomfortable situations' in this job...
    Keep doing it the way you describe. There is absolutely nothing 'Mall-Ninjahish' about it. You show extraordinary commons sense and judgement.

I also have a side gig as a delivery guy. one thing I have pretty much insisted on is not using those stupid roof signs or flags on my car. it just screams "Money inside! Rob me."

I once delivered for Dominos when I started college. And unfortunately, it was a town (in the mid-west) where 80% of its residents were here illegally. No, Im not kidding 80%!

The biggest tip I ever got was $3.

So, with gas, car maintenance and other expenses, it wasnt really worth it.

Hell, even some of the big rich fancy houses never tipped.
    I made sure they could tell I wasn't pleased.

What's wrong with people?

But I carried also. It was against the stores policy, but oh well. That was my life on the line.
    Needless to say after a couple of weeks I said screw that line of work.

Im sure I could have made some good money if I ha lived in a deferent town.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Good stuff....and I don't think it's at all mall ninjaish. I was robbed at gunpoint as a pizza driver before I could carry.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I also have a side gig as a delivery guy. one thing I have pretty much insisted on is not using those stupid roof signs or flags on my car. it just screams "Money inside! Rob me."
    It's funny.. My rationale at first was, 'It scratches my paint"....

It was only way LATER (and, far too late), that I realized what the sign's real danger was.

To address any possible ninja-ness....

To clarify the doorway thing. I try to stay away from the peephole. ESPECIALLY at hotels. In bad neighborhoods, I keep the hotbag weak-hand, and the pie-side straight at the door. I keep my strong-hand under my shirt, with a thumb touching the butt of the gun. Make no mistake, I have a plan to shoot the person that answers the door, if need be. I don't do it on every run, just the ones that seem 'suspicious'. I.E. 20 papers in the driveway, LONG grass, for sale signs, no lights on outside, no lights on inside, or, that just give me the heeby-jeebies... I'm not sure, exactly, why I like to stay out of the peep-hole, it just makes me feel better....

Not parking in the back: One day, I'd just finished a Quad (4 runs at once.... we LOVE it! :) )... pulled into the back, and, a couple guys came out from behind the dumpster. At least one had a shotgun, I think. My stupid butt was already out of the car, thinking too much about that next run on a busy friday night. Anyhow, Thug 1, hits me in the side of the head with the shotgun THEN demands my money. I spose I'm lucky, that I was able to pull it together enough to give it up. From then on out, I park where I can be seen from the street, and the girls at the front of the shop.

Also, an tip that I forgot. Keep a list of payphones in and near the bad parts of your areas. Criminals aren't terribly smart, and, will often use payphones. They often even give the number to the payphones. Personally, when starting a new area, I get the #'s, as I go, and, keep a list in the car.

Oh, and, some of you that have ever worked a Pizza Hut (I don't, but, did long long ago) may be familiar with this... 'When in doubt, ive a shout!'.... If you're not comfortable with the run, back off a block, and call. Pretend you are lost, ask that they turn on the porch light. If porch light isn't available, ask that they come outside, and wave to you. Yes, sometimes you look like an idiot. I'd rather look like an idiot, that be proven one.

Anyhow, HTH someone out there...
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links