Armed Pizza Delivery -- What I have learned...

This is a discussion on Armed Pizza Delivery -- What I have learned... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another life lesson... If you think you're being followed... Find out! Double back repeatedly. It only takes a few moments to do, if you know ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armed Pizza Delivery -- What I have learned...

Another life lesson... If you think you're being followed... Find out!

Double back repeatedly. It only takes a few moments to do, if you know your area.

If it turns out, that they're keeping on you, keep circling, a couple times, to be sure. Proceed to the nearest PD, or, substation / Highway Patrol Post. Call in advance, if you can. MAKE NOISE when you get there, if you couldn't call in advance.
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TattooWings View Post
    Give up the cash, pizza, and hotbag... but never your life without a fight!
    Anymore, I try not to put myself in the position that I have to give up any of those, as it will likely put me in the position to give up my life, too. Deadly force is deadly force. Who's to say the BG wants to leave a witness?

(BTW, sorry for the thread necro, I couldn't type for weeks, due to a severe wrist injury.)
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Been There, Done That, Got the T-Shirt

Good points. I deliverred in Daytona Beach FL back in the 90s while finishing school. It was interesting...

In addition to the gun I always carried OC, folding knife and a 6 D-Cell Mag Light on a belt loop. For normal deliveries in daylight in a "safe" area the flashlight stayed in the car but many times when deliverring into the projects, Bethune Cookman College, MLK Jr. Blvd or other questionable areas the flashlight stayed on the belt in broad daylight. Everyone knew its meaning and it served as a suitabel deterrent. The OC came in usefull for a dog attack at a frat house (it also served to keep the frat boys at bay while I made change with my free hand and got out of dodge).

Some things I came to realize when working the job were...

1. A couple pound gun will never be too heavy to carry.
    2. The spare mag is also not too heavy.
    3. Flashlights are multipurpose tools useful for more than illumination.
    4. ALWAYS lock the doors. Lots of guys would leave them unlocked to get in and out quick... this makes you an easy carjack target.
    5. Keep the windows up. The time I didn't almost resulted in me having to shoot a deranged biker during Bike Week.
    6. Have a map and confirm your entrance and exit routes from "injun country" before you enter.
    7. Turning on your map light makes you visible to all and blind to your surroundings.

I agree with about all the items listed by the original poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Sounds very solid to me. Ninja meter reads zero. It can be exciting. I rode shotgun, literally, a few times with another poster around here (and I expect he'll post soon enough). Of course, here in FL, no open carry but few prohibited places, but the whole exposed in the car thing.... Good luck with that and thanks for posting.
    Sorry for the delay... I just got back from Singaopre and have only checked the boards today.

Yep, Superhouse15 rode with me to the garden spots of Daytona Beach. I still remember his words to me as I exited the car one night in a particularly bad area. As I stepepd out into the darkenned street (lights had been shot out) looking for a house number (most were missing) he looked at me and said "Dude, you're not really going out there?!?!" Those were the days...

Good Posts SQL... Very informative! Richard Davis would be proud!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    Good Post I've never read this thread until today.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by PgSqlQuery View Post
    Just a few things I've learned over the last 10 years...

1) Carry everything on the hotbag, carry hotbag weak side.
    2) Don't stand directly in front of the door. You're a harder target if they have to look for you.
    3) Carry 2 sets of car keys. Lock your car whenever you're not in it, and, lock it when you ARE in it, too....
    4) Tuckable IWB is annoying for delivery. *
    5) Plain sight makes training new drivers fun. *
    6) Always carry a flashlight
    7) Never let your co-workers know you carry. I'm ever so tired of hearing 'SQL, can I borrow your gun to shoot xxx' yelled across the store.
    8) Don't park behind the shop between runs. Park more up front. The first time 2 guys with shotguns come out from behind the dumpster, you'll know what I mean....
    9) Posted hotels are a pain. I always call the guest from the lot, and... 'Hi, this is SQL with ACME Pizza... I'm sorry, but, due to deficient security practices on the part of the Super 8 hotel, I can't enter the hotel at this time, to make your delivery. Would you meet me at the front door, please?' Works every time, and, I think it's resulted in at least one un-posting :)
    10) Delivering to bars is more difficult... I usually just call, and make something up, either about being an alcoholic, or something about being on probation, or, something about policy forbidding me from entering customer premesis... **
    11) A heavy heated hotbag, is a very effective tool you can use to distance yourself from an attacker.
    12) Keep a lockbox in the car. It's great for storing a backup gun, and, your cash / ID / CC's....
    Thank you for the tips. I am currently planning to pick up a part-time pizza delivery job and naturally had some personal safety concerns. BTW...not mall ninja-ish.

JD
    Administrator
    I wish I had been old enough to carry when I drove pies...

I always had a mag light, pepper spray, and a pretty big knife.

I delivered pizzas many years ago in a low crime area. PgSqlQuery is is just doing what is required to stay alive to cash his paycheck. I would not do this job in most places without someone riding shotgun (loaded with 00).
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    It's good that you take precautions but the post sounds a little 'mall ninja' ish.

Not to me! I have not done that job, but I think the poster is extremely prudent.

Pizza guys are perceived as easy targets in my town.
    The Marshmallowist

To those thinking of a job deliverring pizza...

As I already stated, I did the job. Looking back at it I would have to say it was one of the DUMBEST choices I ever made. Seriously.

To take a job with lousy pay (nobody is buying a house on pizza delivery tips), that requires you to drive to stranger's houses in questionable areas in the middle of the night while carrying food, money, deliverring a functional car, and advertising the whole thing with a big "Rob Me Pizza Delivery" sign is dumb. You might also want to look into exactly what type of protection your auto insurance gives you while using the car for delivery service becasue the store almost certainly depends on you to maintain your own...

Seriously, I did the job and have some stories I tell from it to this day. Looking back I would rather not have had the experiences which generated those stories. Dog attacks, deranged bikers, pissed off drunks, and attempted ambush/carjackings are NOT worth the tips you are going to make.

We often talk about situational awareness and not going places where you are lokoing for trouble. Pizza Delivery IS looking for trouble. I did it and chalk it up to having been young and stupid. It was a bad decision and at least I had the brains to make other decisions that kept me alive.

Get another job.

I delivered for two years in the Los Angeles area while going to college. We had a mix of poor and gated communities as well as nationalities.

A big mix of nationalities in the stores. The Mexicans were the most mature about the risks and many carried .45s with them illegally. I did not carry anything but was super fit and could outrun anything and I always left by a different route than I came in if I had to go on foot and took a circuitous route if I could.

I had two attempted robberies but both times I saw the BG before they saw me. I was able to run away from one group and the other I came up behind them while they were waiting for me and quietly left them alone.

One of the drivers was chased by some BG but he got to his truck and then chased them, running one over. The PD loved it.

I made good money as a driver and really enjoyed the people I met and worked with. I learned the area cold and could double and triple up on deliveries just by looking at the addresses as they came from the phones.

A lot of drivers did not like to deliver to the poorer areas, but I liked it. The moms were usually splurging for their kids and the kids were really excited to have pizza. So what if there was no tip. There were some gang bangers in the area some times, but I said hi to them if I could and tried to show them respect. As a result I never had any problems in the Mexican areas of town.

I delivered to a few batchelor/batchelorette parties. Its quite a shock to deliver pizza at 1 am when the door opens to non-dressed lady-entertainers then go back at noon the next day to the same house for a pizza sold on a coupon on the previous delivery to a mom with three kids ( who ALL were NOT there that night ) and the house all cleaned up.

Pizza Ninja!

We could have baked shuriken into the pan pizzas.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    NEWARK, Ohio—A pizza delivery man who was killed while delivering an order that turned out to be false was identified this morning as 41-year-old Robert Swick of Newark.

The employee of Papa John's Pizza was shot in the chest outside 59 Jefferson St. about 11:35 p.m. yesterday, Newark police said.

The part-time delivery man was found on a sidewalk and pronounced dead at the scene. The resident of the Jefferson Street house said he did not order a pizza, police said.

Swick apparently was accosted after leaving his vehicle, but police did not say whether he was robbed.

Newark police said they had no leads in the slaying; they are asking for help from the public.
    http://www.columbusdispatch.com/disp...11/newark.html
    Last edited by SelfDefense; July 11th, 2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: quote incomplete

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links