Armed Pizza Delivery -- What I have learned...

This is a discussion on Armed Pizza Delivery -- What I have learned... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a few things I've learned over the last 10 years... 1) Carry everything on the hotbag, carry hotbag weak side. 2) Don't stand directly ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Just a few things I've learned over the last 10 years...

1) Carry everything on the hotbag, carry hotbag weak side.
    2) Don't stand directly in front of the door. You're a harder target if they have to look for you.
    3) Carry 2 sets of car keys. Lock your car whenever you're not in it, and, lock it when you ARE in it, too....
    4) Tuckable IWB is annoying for delivery. *
    5) Plain sight makes training new drivers fun. *
    6) Always carry a flashlight
    7) Never let your co-workers know you carry. I'm ever so tired of hearing 'SQL, can I borrow your gun to shoot xxx' yelled across the store.
    8) Don't park behind the shop between runs. Park more up front. The first time 2 guys with shotguns come out from behind the dumpster, you'll know what I mean....
    9) Posted hotels are a pain. I always call the guest from the lot, and... 'Hi, this is SQL with ACME Pizza... I'm sorry, but, due to deficient security practices on the part of the Super 8 hotel, I can't enter the hotel at this time, to make your delivery. Would you meet me at the front door, please?' Works every time, and, I think it's resulted in at least one un-posting :)
    10) Delivering to bars is more difficult... I usually just call, and make something up, either about being an alcoholic, or something about being on probation, or, something about policy forbidding me from entering customer premesis... **
    11) A heavy heated hotbag, is a very effective tool you can use to distance yourself from an attacker.
    12) Keep a lockbox in the car. It's great for storing a backup gun, and, your cash / ID / CC's....

*In Ohio, we must carry in the car, in 'plain sight' by law. We accomplish this, by tucking the shirt behind the firearm, usually. It's a pain, but, hopefully, in 90 days, it'll be over.
    ** In Ohio, you cannot enter premises that serve alcohol under a class D permit, PERIOD.

IANAL / YMMV, of course...

I'm sure there's more.... I'm also sure there's other 'pizza guys' out there :)

(I don't deliver so much anymore, but, I did for somewhere near 10 years... I still do it on occasion, when I have to....)
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

It's good that you take precautions but the post sounds a little 'mall ninja' ish.

Heh, dunno, I've been in more than a few 'uncomfortable situations' in this job...

Administrator
    I'm usually one to jump on people if they are being mall ninja, I don't think so in this case. I delivered pizza in high school, and know that it can be a rather eye opening job, more so than many realize.
    SQL, if you don't mind sharing, what part of Ohio are you in?

Right now, I'm north of Delaware county.

I did 5 years delivery in Downtown Columbus, 2 in the Northland area, and 3 in Westerville :)

At least 2 of those, were very very bad choices, on my part...

For what it's worth, I don't think you sound like a mall ninja either.

In fact, it reminds me of one of the stories in The Ayoob Files. Rich Davis (who went on to develop the kevlar vest) was delivering pizza when three kids tried to hold him up with a .25 automatic. He shot two of them with a .22 revolver and was shot twice with the .25 in return (all involved survived).

Pizza delivery and cab driver are two occupations that just seem to scream, "Ambush me!"

I wouldn't want to deliver pizza around OSU's campus, although I suppose I'd be kinda sad if they stopped doing so. Up North of delaware is a nice area, with a couple of pretty decent Ranges up there. Doesn't sound mall ninjaish at all, in fact if you remember, one of the lawsuits that helped Ohio get CHL was done by a pizza delivery guy.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yeah, I love it up here by Delaware :) GREAT place to live :)

I did a couple 'can you help the other shop' shifts over on campus... All I remember of it, was it was VERY confusing.... :)

I said 'ish'.

Interesting

Sounds very solid to me. Ninja meter reads zero. It can be exciting. I rode shotgun, literally, a few times with another poster around here (and I expect he'll post soon enough). Of course, here in FL, no open carry but few prohibited places, but the whole exposed in the car thing.... Good luck with that and thanks for posting.

Lead Moderator
    sound like a reasonable posting to me. Stay safe out there delivering hot pies.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sorry no jump on my "Ninja Meter" here. Of course I have had the upleasant task in my lifetime of trying to get a Pizza Deliveryman to the ER in order to save his life. I was an ambulance driver and also had the same experience with two Cab Drivers. All were ambushed, shot, and left to die. The most that was taken in all three instances was less than $50.

IMO any delivery/service person should be allowed to carry----Period. At least they have a fighting chance. More than a "Hot Pie" in the face anyway.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

No ninja reading here. As someone who has worked in pizza places, on and off, since high school ( A long time ago) I'd like to see more drivers able to defend themselves.

Back then, we had one driver beaten with a bat in our parking lot. They ended up taking his $$$ and the pizza he was about to take out on a delivery. He was in the hospital for several days, and was never really the same after that. Not long after that, the same punk, along with a couple of his buddies came back to hit another driver, who happened to be my older brother. He saw them before they could get close, got back in the store, and the owner, who always carried, and a few of his employees, including me, went out to kick them out of the parking lot. They started to advance on the owner, and he pulled his gun. everyone froze, waiting for someone to do something. we all stayed like that until the police arrived. They arrested the punk who beat our other driver, and took the other ones off (I'm assuming to some shocked parents).

These days, my wife runs the kitchen in a local pizza place, and I will go in and help out from time to time on the weekends. Once or twice a month I'll end up driving, and even here in northern Michigan, there are several homes where I would feel more comfortable with my Sig. (Can't carry yet. Still waiting....)

"Can you make sure the driver has change for $100?" always makes me nerveous.

(Sorry for the long reply)
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Yeah, my brother is currently a pizza delivery guy who carries. Seeing where he delivers, it's not a bad idea. The pizza shop is like a little slice of what America should be. My brother carries, and most of the employees are legal immigrants or recent citizens who all either have been medically disqualified from military service, are reservists, or are currently trying to enlist. And everyone loves America and our way of life. Too bad you need to hang out with Turks and Palestinians to find people who think America is the greatest nation on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Sounds very solid to me. Ninja meter reads zero. It can be exciting. I rode shotgun, literally, a few times with another poster around here (and I expect he'll post soon enough). Of course, here in FL, no open carry but few prohibited places, but the whole exposed in the car thing.... Good luck with that and thanks for posting.
    Plain sight, in my opinion, isn't really as bad as it sounds.... so long as you don't carry at work.

There's been a couple times now, where the customer has been mowing his lawn, and ran to meet me at the car, and, I have to cover up REAL quick, but, outside of that, it's not really been that bad.

Then again, when I train new drivers, I have to duck out, and switch to weak side, before I take them out on the road...

Anyhow, some of my perspective, and, experience, are based on the fact that I've been robbed / assaulted more than a few times, and, wound up getting shot in one of them.... (It was nothing serious, however. Went right through my thigh muscle... IIRC, I spent less than 5 hours in the ER...)

Although, the most serious injuries I've ever sustained on delivery were due a collision (In hindsight, I probably shoulda just hit the dang deer, instead of swerving off the road...). Also happens to be the only way I've ever lost co-workers....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links