I didn't have to shoot a Pit Bull today...

This is a discussion on I didn't have to shoot a Pit Bull today... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My working line GSD Lisl von Schlaf and I walked over to a large field I use for training this morning about 1030. I had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: I didn't have to shoot a Pit Bull today...

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar

My working line GSD Lisl von Schlaf and I walked over to a large field I use for training this morning about 1030. I had a Kong, a rope with a hard rubber ball tied in the center, and a large plastic bottle of water for her.

I dropped the lead and removed her collar and threw the Kong one time for her to retrieve to stretch her muscles. Out on the through street about 200 yards away there is a lawnmower shop and they apparently have a Pit Bull that was loose on the premises. Lisl and I can see pretty much most of this shop as we walk by on the cross street on the way to the field and there was no dog in sight. I said good morning to the body shop man who owns the business on the corner of the cross street and the mailman coming out of the shop. The mailman proceeded to the lawn mower shop across the cross street on the main thoroughfare and about the time Lisl was retrieving the Kong, the mailman disappeared into the business.

Several seconds later Lisl ran out from me about 30 feet and assumed a protective stance and stared over my shoulder, and as I turned around to see what caused her to do this I saw the Pit Bull running across the field towards Lisl and I. I didn't know what to expect as I've never seen this dog before. It came across the field at a full run, barking fiercely as it got closer. I saw the owner of the lawnmower shop and the mailman both come around the corner of the building trying to call the dog back. At this time I yelled very loudly, "IS THIS DOG VICIOUS!!??" for which I received no reply and then popped the strap on the holster holding my Walther P5 and kept my hand on the Walther but did not draw. The Pit Bull was a second or two away at this point and Lisl was very excited and was unleashed. She did not care for this dog at all. I again yelled at the owner strolling over to retrieve his dog if the dog was mean or vicious and he said no.

I couldn't tell at the time this was happening as Lisl was trying to keep the dog away from her without attacking it (but did try to bite after the dog wouldn't back off) and then the dog started over for me. This was happening concurrently with my again asking if the dog was vicious or mean. Lisl has a very nasty, ferocious, hateful bark when she is upset and the owner may not have heard me over Lisl's barking, but the dog approached me only slightly excited and did not try to jump, snap, or bite. The owner collected his dog and he and the mailman and dog went back to the shop.

This asshat didn't even apologize and has no idea how close he came to carrying his dog back to the shop instead of walking under its own power.

If this dog would have attacked Lisl or I, I would have shot it.

I have been around dogs all of my life and can read most dogs pretty well and the warning signs of an attack or aggressive behavior and this owner is very lucky that I can.

The dog didn't piss me off nearly as much as her clueless owner. This walking dickhead didn't even say a word about his lack of control over his dog, sorry about that, or even an "I didn't know she was loose"

Some people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs. Especially breeds known to be aggressive without handling experience. Frickin' idiot.

Anyway, deep breath, sip of Oktoberfest. Just wanted to relate what happened to me and Lisl this morning. Hopefully, something like this won't happen to any of you here, or if it does, it works out for you as well as it did for the Pit Bull owner.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    All dogs on public streets , grounds , parks should be leashed . With one exception a dog park that is fenced in then maybe . IMO

I too love dogs but its the owners i'm not fond of . Most owners think every dog but thiers should be leashed.
    GetSmith, RichB70 and Aceoky like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Lisl and I were on private property with permission, and this dog owners property is adjacent to the property Lisl and I was using for training.

There's no such thing as a dog park out this far from a city.

But I agree that if you cannot maintain control of your dog with verbal commands or hand signals it should be leashed.

Lisl responded 100% to "come" even as this dog was on her butt and bothering her. The lead and collar wasn't close enough for me to put on her so I had to hold her by her scruff when she came to me. After this jerk collected his dog we continued our training after a bit of play to get her mind focused once again.
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    The only time i have ever pulled my gun was because of a dog,in the edge of my yard one day not on a leash.He did growl but the owner got him.Had he came at me,he would have been a dead dog no doubt.The owner should have had him on a leash,especially if it was aggressive.Like the OP,thankfully i didn't have to.I certainly don't want to shoot one,but i will.I have 2 dogs myself. We have a leash law also.If they aren't mean,i don't care if they are on a leash or not.
    Aceoky likes this.

I keep Chesty on a leash I know he will come when called and behave himself unless there is a rabbit on the run. Dog's got priorities.
    blitzburgh and john.shewchuk like this.

Glad all is well and you didn't have to put the pup down.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The dog's priority is the command they must follow when you give it to them. Rabbit, bicycle, pedestrian, or squirrel, it doesn't matter. They must obey the command 100% of the time. That is what the training accomplishes. Apparently the owner of the Pit Bull could not or would not teach his dog this.

Got home from church yesterday morning & while exiting my truck, saw my neighbor, his grown son & both of his grandsons going for a stroll. They were thirty forty yards down the street walking away from me. Just about that time a rather large shepherdish looking dog ran from between the houses & crossed the street at a run barking loudly. I sat my Bible & study materials on the hood of my truck & untucked my shirt tail. Fortunately the dog wheeled & went back the way he came. He was just greeting them evidently. The grandsons are 3&1 years old. The one year old was in a stroller presumably strapped in. I was definitely concerned for all of their safety.
    We have discussed protecting each other on more than one occasion.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

VIP Member
    Thats why i say all Dogs should be leashed .......... only cartoon dogs know how to read Private Property signs
    OD*, Sister, Secret Spuk and 1 others like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

My dogs name is stupid. He's a huge 4 month old mongrel. And he's stupid. He thinks everyone wants to play. I'd be quite upset if someone did something dumb to stupid.

Pit bull's arent that easy to put down. They are some tough dogs.

Being retired from LE, I have sat through countless court cases and learned of many more, mostly in the Detroit area.
    I remember a case of a couple who were just 'out-for-a-walk' in their neighborhood with their Cocker Spaniel, when a Big, Scary Rott-type breed charged right up to them and destroyed their little dog.
    The husband, a 40ish engineer, pulled his concealed revolver and shot the attacking dog (he was afraid he and his wife were next).
    Cops got called, report made and man ends up in court for 'discharge of a firearm within City Limits' and 'Reckless Endangerment with a Firearm'.

The RE charge was a felony and the use of a firearm was a 'mandatory 2 year prison sentence'. Then he was sued in civil court by the dog's owner and lost.
    State law makes dogs 'property' and deadly force cannot be used to protect 'property'. He could not legally shoot a dog for what it 'might do'.
    Bottom line: Man lost his savings & house to attorneys and appeals. Served his two years in the State Pen, wife left him and he is a convicted felon who can never own a firearm again.
    He got Law, not Justice.

This is one of the reasons I am always telling people to get an "Intermediate Weapon"; I use Fox Labs 2 oz, 5 Million SHU O.C. Pepper Spray.
    I got 'hosed' with it when I was in LE (they called it training), It saved me a LOT of grief about 35 times, while on duty. Stuff REALLY works within seconds.
    You can't shoot Bullies who are looking for a serious fist-fight at the gas station or shoot dogs who 'seem' to be attacking you, but haven't sunk their teeth into you yet.
    Once you get into the 'System', anything can happen.
    One time, I saw a mostly female jury give a 'Not Guilty' verdict to a twice convicted Serial-Rapist for no apparent reason.

Much always depends on the Political environment/jurisdiction you live in. I moved to a very Red State when I retired. Still don't trust the CJ system.

Having used this field many times in the past nine months I had no idea there was a dog on the premises of this lawn mower shop. Had I known that I might have had the can of FOX party size can from my bicycle on my person. We have never been bothered by another dog in this town for as long as I've had Lisl.

I'm not a trigger happy cop that will kill a dog on sight because I think it might attack. If I were that way that dog would already be dead. I know dogs fairly well and can read their intentions most of the time. This whole episode lasted less than 20 seconds and both dogs and the Pit Bull's clueless owner all walked away and no one even knew there was a firearm close in hand.
    Aceoky likes this.

I carry OC for dogs. Hate to shoot one due to owner incompetence.

VIP Member
    OP, how about you carry some mace or wasp spray. Actually, wasp spray would do the trick and it will shoot at least 20'. I guarantee if you shot it with some wasp spray that dog would run from you when he saw you and your dog coming next time.

I carry my gun and mace when walking my dossal black lab, she's not a fighter but would to protect me. There are some dogs in the country where I live I'm unsure of but had rather mace them than shoot them.
    MattHawkins likes this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    You can't shoot Bullies who are looking for a serious fist-fight at the gas station or shoot dogs who 'seem' to be attacking you, but haven't sunk their teeth into you yet.
    "Heck" I can't wrt dogs and there's also disparity of force.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links