Friend's house invaded, thug chased away with unloaded gun

This is a discussion on Friend's house invaded, thug chased away with unloaded gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Short story: Yesterday evening a friends house was broken into, he was sitting on the couch watching TV practicing dry fire drills (with his unloaded ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By john.shewchuk
  • 1 Post By yz9890
  • 2 Post By miller_man
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By farronwolf
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy
  • 2 Post By tdave
  • 1 Post By Stirling XD
  • 1 Post By warbirds
  • 2 Post By NONAME762

Thread: Friend's house invaded, thug chased away with unloaded gun

Short story: Yesterday evening a friends house was broken into, he was sitting on the couch watching TV practicing dry fire drills (with his unloaded handgun) when a man breaks in the front door. Friend stands up, racks the slide of his unloaded (no magazine) handgun. The man runs... fast.

Longer story: First, while I do not have all the details, this is the best I can do with the details I presently have. I will add more details if/when they become available to me.

Yesterday evening around 6:30 at night, my friend was sitting on his couch watching Breaking Bad reruns. With him on his couch, was his unloaded handgun (I don't recall what kind, I'm thinking Glock). As he is sitting on his couch, he is practicing by dry firing (which is a good, and economical, way to hone skills).

Suddenly (and not necessarily out of the ordinary) there is a soft knock on the side door of his house. He gets up to investigate the knock, and within a few seconds, the front door is kicked in. He is certain it was the same guy who knocked on the side that kicked in the front door, he heard them run around the house.

My buddy is now across the living room from a thug in his house. He is still holding his (very much unloaded) handgun, which he immediately, brings up to an admin level, power-strokes (even thought there was no magazine), and levels it at the unfamiliar man in his house.

Now, heres the fun part...

The unwelcome man immediately turns around so fast that he runs head first into the broken door. This, of course, causes him to fall flat on his (probably now soiled) pants.

But wait, it gets better. After popping (pooping?) up from his little fall, he bolts out the door, takes a hard left off the porch to cut across the driveway, and runs his knees straight into the tongue of the boat trailer parked there. This causes him to do a well executed front flip directly into a face plant on the concrete drive. My buddy rated it an 11/10.

And, once again, the guy pops up, and disappears down the street.

I don't know what happened from there. I know he called 911 and reported the break in, but unfortunately I don't know the outcome.

I guess they could always just scout the area hospitals for the guy with a concussion, patellar/shin fractures, facial abrasions, and complete loss of sphincter control....

I'm grateful that this turned out well for my friend. It could have gone south real quick if the man had brought his own piece anticipating a gunfight...

But I guess in the end, it boils down to the fact that guns save lives, and most of the times it's without even firing a shot.

Thoughts?
    Aceoky likes this.

Sounds like the guy even knew your friend was home but broke in anyway. Scary.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Wow, crazy story - glad it worked out for your friend. I'd pay good money to watch a crook kick their own arse trying to get out of dodge after trying to break in.

I do lots of dry fire practice but never while watching tv - no distractions, lots of stories of murdered televisions that way. Tell your friend he needs to reinforce his entry doors so that "kick ins" will just now be a loud thud on the door.
    Aceoky and StormRhydr like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I never dry fire. Something about the "keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot" rule that got drilled into my head from an early age. If I'm watching TV at home, I've got a loaded gun on me or within arms reach.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A more secure door would have given him time to get a loaded magazine and make the very much unloaded hunk of plastic/steel and actual weapon.

Glad it worked out well for him, but please encourage him to harden the points of entry into his home.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Im glad to hear you say that. I wont either. For the same reasons.

I just thought I was alone in that, in todays world, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I never dry fire. Something about the "keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot" rule that got drilled into my head from an early age. If I'm watching TV at home, I've got a loaded gun on me or within arms reach.
    BugDude likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Even an unloaded gun can deter crime, but I bet your buddy won't get caught with an "empty" again.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Sounds like your friend should practice how to load his firearm.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I'm glad your friend is OK, but this is a thank God not a how to.
    warbirds and john.shewchuk like this.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Sometimes even an unloaded gun does the job, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

It's interesting that the guy knocked on the side door but then kicked in the front door. I wonder if knocking on the side door was to further determine if anyone was home or if it was a diversionary tactic. Get the occupant to one end of the house while you attack from the other.
    Aceoky likes this.

I dry fire but I have a loaded pistol on my hip. I never confuse the two. When I practice draws I have no loaded gun on me.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Would you share the city this occured in please?

Glad your friend is OK.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by warbirds View Post
    Would you share the city this occured in please?

Glad your friend is OK.
    This happened in Bryan, Texas. My friend and I both attend Texas A&M University. (Whoop!)

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    I'm glad your friend is OK, but this is a thank God not a how to.
    Ditto what TDave said.

I've walked into miscellaneous trailer tongues before. None too pleasant I assure you
    StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Links