A walk in the Park

This is a discussion on A walk in the Park within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets say that you are walking in a park and you stumble upon a young BG raping a woman in front of her two young ...

Thread: A walk in the Park

A walk in the Park

Lets say that you are walking in a park and you stumble upon a young BG raping a woman in front of her two young children, what do you do in this situation? The BG has no visable weapons, and assume that carry in a local/state park is legal where you live.

Do you call the police and be a good citizen and let the ordeal continue, go H2H with the guy, shoot him, or any other possibilities that y'all can come up with.

And no, I didn't just come up with this sick scenario in my head. http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/312040030
    That park is three miles from my parents house, two miles from my brothers house, and in a rather nice, middle class community.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

To answer your question, I would do all of the above. I would call the police, be a good citizen and let the ordeal continue, then I would go hand to hand. When he had enough of my fists of fury I would then shoot him, only when he was running away. I love shooting BGs in the back!

Actually, if you want to know the truth, I would probably call the police. I don't frequent parks too often and if I came across something like that how would I know it was a rape? Would I be close enough to hear screams? Too many unknowns and what ifs for me to ponder. Wouldn't want to shoot someone's boyfriend.

Ohio is a sick sick place.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

The damage is done by having the poor children (the oldest being 9 at most given that the mother is 21?) see their mother being raped. I guess, at that point I up the ante and kick the bad guy in the head to get him off of her and then be prepared to shoot if needed.

Being that children are present, if it's consensual and this is just a boyfriend then my actions are no more inappropriate than his.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I believe that in most states that sexual assault is a class "A" felony. You could simply walk up and shoot him.

Would I ??.........probably not. But I would draw,safety off, and do something to his head. I usually have my SAP or ASP in my back pocket. -------

I am only going to say that I think rape is the most disquisting act and people who commit deserve to die.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    A word of caution when helping others. You do not know the whole story and you MAY be putting yourself at risk to help a person who does not want your help. Also, people are sick and twisted, many “victims” will turn on you and suddenly you are the BG for helping. I am not saying you should never get involved, just try to CYA.

Regardless, in this situation I would call it into 911 and remain on the phone and at the scene until the police arrive. I would make an attempt to "scare off" the attacker by announcing my presence and giving an authoritative command to STOP, but I will NOT draw unless he becomes a threat to me. I do not want to be seen as unnecessarily escalating the situation, if I do not have to.

If this is a rape, the rapist most likely will run away when he knows I am there, or he will try to attack me. If he runs, good I have stopped the attack. If he attacks me, it MAY be the last thing he ever does.

In the unlikely event the "would be rapist" continues and just ignores me, my actions would be dictated by the response of the "apparent victim". If she is being raped, then I am sure she would be screaming and asking ME for help. In my mind, her asking for help is all the justification I need to "get involved". After all, I am on the phone with 911 and she is asking for help, I would feel justified in at least pulling him off of her. The 911 tape will be my "back up" if the "victim" later turns out to be a crazy girl friend who claims it was consensual.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    A word of caution when helping others. You do not know the whole story and you MAY be putting yourself at risk to help a person who does not want your help. Also, people are sick and twisted, many “victims” will turn on you and suddenly you are the BG for helping. I am not saying you should never get involved, just try to CYA.

But it is for this very reason that I have little compunction about NOT getting involved. My conscience would be eased by the fact that I can blame society's leftists for creating a climate in which helping gets you sued or criminally charged. It is NOT our fault that there has been a chilling effect on the desire to render aid. Rationality seems all but lost in this kind of scenario.

I Agree...

Quote Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
    I am only going to say that I think rape is the most disquisting act and people who commit deserve to die.
    and in China they do...about a week after the trial!

Too bad the U.S.Criminal's Justice System doesn't hand out deserved punishment...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I'd be tempted to test my marksmanship skills, killing two birds with one stone is a good way to put it...
    I'd stop the felony, get the arrest, and he'd never have the urge to rape again. As bonus, he'd be a prime candidate for the eye for an eye program in the prison system!

A swift kick to the ribs, pistol drawn, dialing 911 left handed. Hopefully he'll just roll over and stay down.

Don't figure him to be running away too fast with his pants down.

Good comments. Key here is determining if it's a rape in progress and not an adventureous couple. If it's a rape, deadly force is justified in my state to stop it.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    I am very concerned at all the replies that say you would shoot the attacker as your first action. Do you really want to put yourself out there and take on the ramifications of a shooting if you don't have to?

I am not saying you should ignore the situation or let the attack continue, but jumping to shooting someone, in this situation, is not the answer.

NEVER resort to deadly force if lesser force can be used in the situation. In this situation the woman has already been raped, so the emotional damage is done. If you can stop it by using an authoritative command, or by physically pulling or kicking the attacker off of her, then do it. DON’T just walk up behind the guy and put a bullet in his brain (as much as we may like to in this situation).

By scaring him away or pulling/kicking him off her you still accomplished the same thing as shooting him, you stopped the attack. Now would you like to be praised by the responding officers or taken into custody for questioning?

Try to think about what will happen to you after the shooting. If there was another less lethal way, you may find yourself in court because you chose to use deadly force. If you are not charged criminally, you will surely be sued by the "attacker's" family. Are you willing to put yourself through that when you could have easily avoided?

Just my $.02

Joe
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Regardless, in this situation I would call it into 911 and remain on the phone and at the scene until the police arrive. I would make an attempt to "scare off" the attacker by announcing my presence and giving an authoritative command to STOP, but I will NOT draw unless he becomes a threat to me. I do not want to be seen as unnecessarily escalating the situation, if I do not have to.

If this is a rape, the rapist most likely will run away when he knows I am there, or he will try to attack me. If he runs, good I have stopped the attack. If he attacks me, it MAY be the last thing he ever does.

In the unlikely event the "would be rapist" continues and just ignores me, my actions would be dictated by the response of the "apparent victim". If she is being raped, then I am sure she would be screaming and asking ME for help. In my mind, her asking for help is all the justification I need to "get involved". After all, I am on the phone with 911 and she is asking for help, I would feel justified in at least pulling him off of her. The 911 tape will be my "back up" if the "victim" later turns out to be a crazy girl friend who claims it was consensual.
    +1 I feel that this is the perfect answer. Be careful putting yourself out there, but I couldn't just watch it happening while I was on the phone waiting on LEO to arrive.

+1
    Well said. I think you said it all.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

911....kick to face....draw weapon....after that--it's up to the BG what he does next

Links