Do you "profile"? I do..to a degree

This is a discussion on Do you "profile"? I do..to a degree within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm pretty new to the forum, with some recent posts after lurking for some time and wanted to know how others here deal with what ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: Do you "profile"? I do..to a degree

I'm pretty new to the forum, with some recent posts after lurking for some time and wanted to know how others here deal with what is often seen as a taboo and politically incorrect topic, of profiling. I posted in another thread about being approached in a parking lot and how I once was on the other end of what the OP's situation was.

First off, I'm a half black, Asian male, about 6í3 195lbs, in my late 30s and in decent shape. Iíve lived in some larger metropolitan areas, most my childhood in Seattle, and most my young adulthood in Houston, both while bewing in the middle of what I would consider diverse melting pots of different races and socio/economic status. At the same time, I think I go against some typical stereotypes, being strongly conservative politically and socially all my life, most of which is rooted on how I was raised by my parents (but that's a different story).

I now live in North Alabama, where there's a bit smaller of a melting pot pocket. I come to realize in the 6 years Iíve lived here that I find myself more consciously profiling people in public, and I'm guessing I'm being profiled as well. At work I'm usually in tie and suit, but often on the weekend I'm in a old t shirt, sneakers, and jeans. I've had coworkers not recongize me outside of work.

Do you take into account a personís appearance and disposition when out and about, say at Walmart Friday night vs. at church Sunday morning? Was there ever an instance where you profiled someone only to find that youíre right or wrong in your assessment or assumption? I understand this can be a touchy topic for some, but let's be adults and lets be candid.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

Everyone does. Whether they admit it or not is entirely different. It is a human trait and it seems one would need to work to not profile rather than normally engage in it.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Yup, I profile. If you don't fit your surroundings I am going to pay attention to you. Whether that means you're wearing a coat in August, a suit to the beach, or a tank top in a conservative office building.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Do you take into account a personís appearance and disposition when out and about, say at Walmart Friday night vs. at church Sunday morning? Was there ever an instance where you profiled someone only to find that youíre right or wrong in your assessment or assumption? I understand this can be a touchy topic for some, but let's be adults and lets be candid.
    Of course I profile. Only fools or those with a death wish wouldn't.

VIP Member
    Of course. We are genetically programmed to profile. Animals do it too.

Profiling does not equal bigotry. It's just part of a process that our brains use in an attempt to recognize and classify things.

Profiling is good, normal, and smart.

Racial profiling is wrong. A lot of people confuse "profiling" with "racial profiling" and therefore assume that all profiling is bad.

If you don't profile, you probably have very poor situational awareness.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

All good replies, and yes "racial profiling" often gets confused and it doesn't help that the media helps perpetuate the stereotypes by using such cases like the Zimmerman case.

I remember for a while after Columbine, LEO got a lot of heat for stopping kids at malls wearing trench coats in the middle of the summer. Up to that point I would have saw it as some kid trying to be John Cussack, not someone on the verge of a killing spree.
    gatorbait51 and pittypat21 like this.

Yes, I profile. oversize clothes or sweatshirts on a summer day in Houston will always raise a flag in my book.
    gatorbait51 and pittypat21 like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member

I'm your 'typical' 5'9" mid-40's white male and I watch my surroundings closely. Just a few weeks back I 'profiled' a younger white male because of his ragged appearance and his failure to stop watching me as he came near my company vehicle. Since I was sitting in the truck, I untucked my shirt to expose my IWB weapon just in case. He ended up walking on by and minding his business but I would be stupid to not be prepared. Call me a realist, I guess.

My military combat training always relied on evaluating the threat by body language, speech characteristics, and objects held in the hands. At no time did race factor into the equation. To calculate wrong is to be dead.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ďWhen they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

VIP Member
    Yooshin is right, everyone profiles and should as a part of situational awareness . Others have noted odd clothing choices, stances that seem out of place . It is a shame that our drive by media has taking a good working tool and turned it into a crime against humanity

Everyone does. Where it creates a problem is when you dismiss a possible threat because they don't meet the threat criteria you are looking for. We would probably be safer in the long run if we did not profile.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Everyone does. Where it creates a problem is when you dismiss a possible threat because they don't meet the threat criteria you are looking for. We would probably be safer in the long run if we did not profile.
    Ahh, but that's when paranoia becomes so useful.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I would say that to some extent we profile just about everyone we meet and we put them into a variety of categories based on their appearance. When I go to Home Depot and I have a question about something, I look for someone wearing an orange apron and ignore the guy with the tie. When I walk into bank I do the opposite.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Do I profile? Yes I think everyone does to different extents. Am I a racist? No I don't consider myself to be one. When somebody looks out of place I tend to pay more attention.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links