Worst Situational Awareness EVER

This is a discussion on Worst Situational Awareness EVER within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sold a gun tonight to a nice, clean cut fellow, and I will be half surprised if hes still alive right now. We agreed ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Worst Situational Awareness EVER

Worst Situational Awareness EVER

I sold a gun tonight to a nice, clean cut fellow, and I will be half surprised if hes still alive right now. We agreed to meet in a major gun store parking lot.

For whatever dayum reason, he texted me to meet him at the gas station beside it. That part of town is OK during daylight hours. At night its ...not.

Anyway, right as it turns dark, I see the gas station. Looks bad. Pimp mobile in the parking lot, and there is the guy to meet. He pulled his late model BMW in in such a way that he was essentially trapped there, and anyone could block him in, come at him from behind, etc.

ALSO, hes got his passenger door wide open, his trunk open, and hes playing with an arrow tip on the arrow in the back of his trunk. Head inside the trunk, just having a Big O'le Time, and totally oblivious when I pulled in. For the area he was dressed too well, as well. Nothing really that would stand out elsewhere, but nice khakis, work credentials around his neck.

We introduce ourselves, and hes still all wrapped up in playing with that arrow, his back to two very shady looking characters at the gas station who came out to eye us. I tell him that its a bad part of town, and I dont want to be there any longer than I have to, so lets get this thing done.

We complete the transaction, he takes the rifle, in the box, that is very well marked, and puts it in his open trunk. Then of course sticks his head in the trunk playing with it. The two bad characters are still eyeing the situation.

I get in my car, and get the Hello out of there. Him, all the while back turned towards anyone who wanted to roll him, head in the trunk of that BMW, and two bad characters behind him.

Nice young man. Hope he made it out of there. If so hes got to be the luckiest rascal to ever stumble through life.
    Aceoky likes this.

2. Remove Ads

You can't fix stupid.
    BradL likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Given the low light conditions and the shady characters at the gas station I would have suggested moving the transaction to another more secure location.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Maybe he was chumming for sharks.
    Aceoky, sammage and welder516 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I'm sure he made it out of there just fine.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Yeah, the pimp mobile drove off, as I pulled in. The two shady characters came out only after I got out of my car.

I was well armed, and had a friend with me watching the situation. Your suggestion is not a bad one, though I dont know where that area would have been. Its a strange part of town.

I would simply have driven by and kept driving, were it not for having spoken to the young man first, and gotten a description of his car, etc. One generally thinks in terms of the person you are meeting being someone to look out for.

The guy was new to town, and didnt know anything about anything. Im actually not kidding about hoping that he made it out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Given the low light conditions and the shady characters at the gas station I would have suggested moving the transaction to another more secure location.
    Aceoky likes this.

Wow

VIP Member
    StormRhydr, that is a very scary story about the buyer's lack of SA. But I'm curious why you agreed to change the meeting place. While it sounds like your SA was good and you had backup, you were placing yourself unnecessarily in a dangerous situation.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

mkh
    Maybe you should have stayed until he left since you seem to have been aware and prepared.

Good move to have a buddy along as a covering guard. That's what I do when my son buys or sells something on Craig's List.

Ben, you are being very diplomatic with me, and I appreciate the effort, lol.

There are lots I left out of the original post, so as not to post a book. This guy and I had been in communication for a week or so. Yesterday afternoon he contacts me again, with the funds to buy the gun. He was willing to meet me anywhere I liked, but had just moved to town, and didnt know where anything was.

He was going shopping at the gun store, so suggested I meet him there. That sounded pretty safe to me, too. I had seen that store before, though never shopped there.

The two properties adjoined. The gas station property was right next to the gun store. You could throw a rock and hit both locations. I took note of this before pulling into the gas station parking lot.

I am already running a critique on what I could have done better, like demanding a better location, and not taking no for an answer, next time.

You know, I immediately got out, scanning the surroundings, introduced myself to that guy, who kept his head stuck in the trunk, fiddling with that arrow tip, and told him it was a bad area, so lets hurry this up. It didnt phase him one bit.

We go to the back of my vehicle, and hes still oblivious. I tell him that I wasnt kidding, that it was a bad area, and that we needed to get on with it, all the while, Im looking behind us, keeping an eye on the two shady characters who are looking at us like dogs would a pork chop, and this guy just never got it.

He pulled out his wallet, and pulled out cash, in a much more open manner than I thought prudent, if you wanted to live, lol.

It was amazing. THEN, he puts the gun, in his trunk, trunk light on, sticks his head back in his trunk, and was still diddling around, when I drove off. The two thugs still watching him.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    StormRhydr, that is a very scary story about the buyer's lack of SA. But I'm curious why you agreed to change the meeting place. While it sounds like your SA was good and you had backup, you were placing yourself unnecessarily in a dangerous situation.

VIP Member
    Uh...did you happen to discretely tell him to bolo the two shady dudes behind him? Sounds like he wasn't taking your hints.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Maybe you should have stayed until he left since you seem to have been aware and prepared.

Good move to have a buddy along as a covering guard. That's what I do when my son buys or sells something on Craig's List.
    I warned the guy twice, and left him with a weapon & ammo. There is only so much one could do.

And to be honest, I was frustrated and a bit angry that he was so clueless. At that point, I just wanted to get out of there.

His lack of SA endangered both of us, and he wasnt upping his game to respond to the situation.

If you were TRYING to get mugged, you couldnt have done a better job than this guy was doing. Expensive car, cash, items that people would love to steal, total lack of SA... most amazing thing I have ever seen.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Uh...did you happen to discretely tell him to bolo the two shady dudes behind him? Sounds like he wasn't taking your hints.
    Yeah, I actually did. And I kept looking back over my shoulder at them. I mean they were not very far off.

I wouldnt have had to tell YOU, or virtually anyone else here anything about them. You would have picked up on them.

I actually mentioned them, kept them in sight, the whole nine yards. It never phased him.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Yeah, I actually did. And I kept looking back over my shoulder at them. I mean they were not very far off.

I wouldnt have had to tell YOU, or virtually anyone else here anything about them. You would have picked up on them.

I actually mentioned them, kept them in sight, the whole nine yards. It never phased him.
    Well then maybe he's like Hancock - you know, a superhero that is impervious to the doings of us mortals.

Strange that the dude doesn't have any spidey senses...
    Aceoky likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Storm, you can not save them all. I too am surprised that you went to a different location, but sometimes the deal is the deal. Next time stick to your guns....Yea pun intended....LMAO....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links