Drive by...kind of

This is a discussion on Drive by...kind of within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was out selling insurance like I do. And like always, I was in the ghettos of Indianapolis. Anyway, I got out of my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Drive by...kind of

Drive by...kind of

So I was out selling insurance like I do. And like always, I was in the ghettos of Indianapolis. Anyway, I got out of my car to door knock someone I haven't been able to get ahold of by phone. I'm parked across the street from the house.

As I'm crossing the street, this late model SUV is driving toward me. I hurry across the road as I realize he's not gonna slow down like most do when I have that much of a lead. Anyway, I turn and look and the white SUV had Illinois plates which is a little strange when not on the interstate.

As I'm knocking the door, the guy drives by again. They weren't home so after leaving a note I turn to go to my car. About 200 yards down the street, I see the SUV sitting on the side of the road where there are no houses jamming to some hippity hop. I stare at the SUV the whole way across the street and I "feel" like he's staring at me. I wait a few more seconds, then stuck my hand in my pocket gripping my 642 and really felt like pulling it out and "re-situating" it just to make a point. But as soon as I stuck my hand in my pocket, he shot off and drove past me.

I don't know, maybe I'm imagining things. Gotta love working the ghetto. It's a jungle out there.
    tdave and gatorbait51 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Reminds me of a movie I saw Dennis Weaver in once.

It is a jungle. Based on my experiences, that doesn't seem anything like a possible drive by. Probably just him checking you out, like you were him. You "resituating" might of sparked something off though.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Having spent most of my LE career in Detroit, I got quite used to the 'ways' of the street folk. Your scenario seems quite typical for the local Rocket Scientists always looking for 'opportunities'.
    Starting off with intimidation sounds par for the location.
    Out of State tags may have been from a 'friend' from Chicago's dumpy side as OOS tags do draw unwanted attention.
    Watching a 'visitor' to the 'territory' for any sign of opportunity would be expected.
    It is always wise to not show your sidearm if do do not anticipate using it quickly. No need to give valuable info to a possible attacker, so they can alter their strategy to account for your preparedness. Keep the advantage.
    No doubt your attire and sense of purpose drew the interest of the Junktown regulars.
    Making positive, but brief eye-contact tends to communicate a subtle assertiveness as opposed to the shying-away 'victim' behavior.
    Standing straight, head up, an extra second of full attention, not being in a hurry to leave, inexplicable actions, are subtleties not lost on the boyz.
    USM1976, hbc, blitzburgh and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Maybe the guy that lived at the house .......................Borrowed the SUV ....................he don't like salesman and he was trying to avoid you by waiting down the street .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Unlike some who visited, or worked in a depressed area... I grew up in one. Like every other neighborhood people tend to look out for one another. You was a stranger and just as if a stranger like an occupant in the SUV knocked on your door while you was at work your neighbors should not only keep an eye on him. They would probably let him know they were watching. Just like what happened to you.

As far as looking for any opportunity, thats hogwash. If a predator wants to do something to you... they do it. LOL They wont provoke you. I'd say that 99% of your problem was in your own head. Because the O/P felt uneasy he saw everything as a threat. Not everyone who lives in the "ghetto" are street folk. Most are hard working men and women trying to keep a roof over their head and to put food on the table every day. Not a whole lot different than most people anywhere else. I dont know what Junktown regulars are but it dont sound good. I guess that at one time in my life I was a junktown regular.
    blitzburgh, Dulla, SIXTO and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    You need to dress more provocative to scare the villagers. Being your a man, wear brightly tropical colored clothing in a shimmering sexy nylon material, large belt buckles and a bow tie. They would be too scared to make eye contact with you. A bonus, your customers will never forget you.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    You need to dress more provocative to scare the villagers. Being your a man, wear brightly tropical colored clothing in a shimmering sexy nylon material, large belt buckles and a bow tie. They would be too scared to make eye contact with you. A bonus, your customers will never forget you.
    You my dear have a very sick sense of humor... you sure your not a cop?
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and Darrow75 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    You my dear have a very sick sense of humor... you sure your not a cop?

^^^^^^She does have a very, disturbing,^^^^^

albeit hilarious sense of humor.
    Aceoky likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I worked the ghetto for several years as a street cop, I would pack more than a snubby..... I carried 2 357 mags, a Walther PPK/s and a shotgun.
    welder516, Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    So I was out selling insurance like I do. And like always, I was in the ghettos of Indianapolis. Anyway, I got out of my car to door knock someone I haven't been able to get ahold of by phone. I'm parked across the street from the house.

As I'm crossing the street, this late model SUV is driving toward me. I hurry across the road as I realize he's not gonna slow down like most do when I have that much of a lead. Anyway, I turn and look and the white SUV had Illinois plates which is a little strange when not on the interstate.

As I'm knocking the door, the guy drives by again. They weren't home so after leaving a note I turn to go to my car. About 200 yards down the street, I see the SUV sitting on the side of the road where there are no houses jamming to some hippity hop. I stare at the SUV the whole way across the street and I "feel" like he's staring at me. I wait a few more seconds, then stuck my hand in my pocket gripping my 642 and really felt like pulling it out and "re-situating" it just to make a point. But as soon as I stuck my hand in my pocket, he shot off and drove past me.

I don't know, maybe I'm imagining things. Gotta love working the ghetto. It's a jungle out there.
    What would that point be? That you have a gun, and they should be scared, or you have a gun, and now have given them reason to make a play? Either way, bad idea....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm puzzled as to what insurance you would be selling in the "ghetto." An insurance salesman friend of mine one said the reason he sold auto and homeowners insurance only was, by and large, people have to buy those, whereas life insurance and the like has to be sold. I don't see the ghetto being a big market for luxury insurance when almost anything can be replaced with a quick trip to the local Shop-n-Rob.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OR - wear a dark, pinstriped suit with some expensive Italian shoes, and dark glasses... like you're selling a "different kind" of insurance.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

An old standby "Neither hiding nor displaying a weapon is always an advantage."
    gatorbait51 likes this.

... I wait a few more seconds, then stuck my hand in my pocket gripping my 642 ...
    Given the strange pattern of behavior, this seems warranted. I'd have done the same, in prep for what appeared to be happening. But unless further threat occurred, it would have stayed right there in the holster (as yours did).

and really felt like pulling it out and "re-situating" it just to make a point. But as soon as I stuck my hand in my pocket, he shot off and drove past me.
    Bad juju, to be even considering pulling a firearm to "make a point."

Of course, when it becomes reasonable to draw depends entirely on the degree of threat, proximity, speed things are flowing. Your instincts seemed spot-on, given that he zoomed away immediately following your placement of your hand in your pocket.

Had you drawn while he'd been sitting there, however, and he or someone else had called 911/emergency to report someone brandishing a firearm, you likely would have had a tough time explaining how that was necessary. Something to consider, when we bump up against the limits of the reasonableness elements of the statutes.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links