If there is an incident, do you have a lawyer?

This is a discussion on If there is an incident, do you have a lawyer? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Done a lot of reading and studying since getting my CWP on many subjects. Lots of scenario and legal discussions about what you should say ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: If there is an incident, do you have a lawyer?

Question If there is an incident, do you have a lawyer?

Done a lot of reading and studying since getting my CWP on many subjects. Lots of scenario and legal discussions about what you should say to whom and when to get your lawyer involved after an incident. They all assume you have a lawyer.

Do most of you folks already know who you would call if you found yourself "downtown" after a self defense incident? I don't. I wouldn't really know where to start looking either other than searching for 'lawyer' and taking it from there.

I can't imagine too many of them have much time for "I'd like to meet you to see if i like you just in case I never need you?" as too many of those could quickly tie up their entire week, or if they do it's billable and that could get expensive real quick if it takes you a few tries to find someone you're comfortable with.

As I'm fairly new to all this I thought it would be good to ask DC, thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good question. "Our lawyer" is semi retired and just does wills and stuff for his existing clients. I'll be looking forward to the ideas others post here on how to find a good DEFENSE lawyer if needed.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I have known one since our early teens. I dont have her on retainer but being a senator and still practicing Id imagine she would be a good bet for me to call.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

One option...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I got a good one who happens to be related, and will help me out for a dollar and a good cigar. Can't beat it.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I've got a law firm that handles day to day stuff...wills, contracts, stuff like that. For a defense attorney, I have about four people in mind should I ever need one. They don't advertise on television.....ever. But, when a member of the upper crust or a local politician gets themselves in a sticky legal situation, one of them will consistently turn up as the defense attorney.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    If you know any local law enforcement people ask them who they would use. That's not a bad place to start. If you know an attorney ask them who they'd recommend. Don't just start asking random people because there is a big difference between a great defense attorney that minimizes punishment that guilty people receive and lawyers that know how to represent innocent people.

And the link above is a great idea for everyone and is quite reasonable in cost.
    Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    If you are involved in a shooting ,you need an attorney because even if you are found it's justifiable you have the
    deceased family members who 'll attempt to sue you if you have any assets.

In. the event of an incident, your best bet is a CRIMINAL defense lawyer... The same guy (or type of guy) that would be defending the "threat" you just "stopped," if that "threat" could afford a good lawyer.

Even if you are 100% in the right, if you are detained, there is the chance, quite good in fact, that you might be charged with a crime. You just became a "criminal," allegedly (of course).

Will, real estate, and probate lawyers are not who you will want.
    But, if you have a trusted attorney, he may... May be able to refer you to one.

You will not have one on retainer... There's hardly such a thing in reality, but you can usually consult with the referred attorney, for free.... And call him after the incident....

Say as absolutely little as you can to the police... The absolute bare minimum.

He attacked me, I called you, I thought he was going to kill me... I don't feel well, and would like to see a doctor... And speak to you about exactly what happened as soon as my head clears, and I speak to an attorney....

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Lucky to personally know a criminal defense attorney, so is the person I'd call. Have a relative that's an attorney, but that's not his specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    If you are involved in a shooting ,you need an attorney because even if you are found it's justifiable you have the
    deceased family members who 'll attempt to sue you if you have any assets.
    In Missouri we are fortunate that if the shooting is found justifiable family members are barred from suing you by law. In this state you would only need a lawyer if the shooting was obviously unjustified.
    Brent95 and Aceoky like this.

No.

I have a Union so I'm sure I can get one through them.

Since you are Orlando you should call Jon Gutmacher. He literally wrote the book on FL firearms laws

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    If i needed a lawyer i can find one.That said like someone else brought up,in S.C. if the shooting is justified,they can't take you to civil court as it should be,
    Brent95 and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    We (I) have lawyers cell numbers laminated on business cards
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links