You wake up with a gun in your face, What do you do???

This is a discussion on You wake up with a gun in your face, What do you do??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local burglery turned home invasion/kidnapping scenario got me thinking. What would you do if you woke up with a bad guy in your room ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: You wake up with a gun in your face, What do you do???

You wake up with a gun in your face, What do you do???

A local burglery turned home invasion/kidnapping scenario got me thinking. What would you do if you woke up with a bad guy in your room and a gun on you?

This happened in a upper middle class area of my town yesterday. Here are the details: African American male had a home staked out. Wife leaves for work at 7:00 A.M. Husband is a retired 58 y/o and in bed. In appears the bad guy gained entry though the garrage door while the wife was leaveing. Once in the home the bad guy makes his way to the bed room and both the home owner and bad guy are starteled. Being the the bad guy had a handgun he obviously had the upper hand and overtook the homeowner. After bounding/beating the homeowner and loading easy access valuables includeing three shotguns into the home owners car the bad guy kidnapped the homeowner and went to several ATMs to unload all the cash he could get. Several hours later the police found the victim severly beat and still bound in a less than desireable area of town. Victim is still in the hospital revovering and the bad guy is on the lose armed better than before.

Obviously better situational awareness and home security could have prevented this if not at least gave the home owner time to act and defend himself. Too many things done wrong, no need to discuss that. Lets just say you have done everything right and one night/morning you found yourself a situation where you were woken to somebody in your room armed. What would you do? What weapons do you have near by. Would you attempt to fight or comply and hope for mercy?

Edit: I understand the concept "this would never happen to me" but that's not why I posted this. Assume it has happened to you, what do you do. I don't care how prepared you are when you are on your game with SA high. Sometimes life happens and catches you off guard. Say you just came home from the hospital after being up 36 hours while you kids were in surgery for trauma. You or your wife are on chemo fighting cancer and while going out to pick up your meds she leaves the garage door open.

To say this situation could NEVER happen to you is a bit arrogant. Just think what would you do if it DID happen to you. That's the point I was trying to make here.
    Last edited by GetSmith; October 9th, 2013 at 09:57 AM.

2. Remove Ads

It seems like this is a scenario where either a home security system or a dog could have really turned the tables on the BG. If the guy could have bought himself a few seconds of prep time he would have saved himself a world of hurt.

Wow that is truly sad. Im not sure I guess the exact situation would dictate action. I guess the under the pillow conundrum might have an answer

VIP Member
    "What would you do if you woke up with a bad guy in your room and a gun on you?"
    Whatever he tells me to do.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    "What would you do if you woke up with a bad guy in your room and a gun on you?"
    Whatever he tells me to do.
    I too think the best bet for survival is to comply and hope for mercy. I'm thinking maybe a cell phone under the pillow and 911 IF you had enough time/awareness. Even with a gun under your pillow you would most likely get shot before your could draw againt the bad guy with his gun on you already.

Obviously we do all we can do avoid this situation but sometimes life can catch you with your gaurd down at a weak moment. It's good to think about the situation though because my first instict to go for my nightstand gun would likely get me shot.

Tuff one luckily I have a dog an alarms on doorways

VIP Member
    BG went into the garage while wife drove out. Duh.

1) Door between garage and house needs to be locked all the time and reinforced if possible.

2) Garage should have a couple of inexpensive (spend a lot if so inclined but I don't think it matters) driveway
    alert.

The second would have let him know someone was in the garage. The first would have slowed the BG down or stopped him in his tracks.

Homeowner came out OK (except for emotional scars) all things considered.
    BenGoodLuck and packinnova like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

What would I do? First step would include taking all of my dogs to the pound if I lived through it.
    PEF, Hopyard, Phaedrus and 3 others like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Try subterfuge. "Tony, it's about time you got here! What's with the gun? Jimmy said you were cool and to give you the money for the stuff... Twenty grand, right?" (Open night stand. Grab gun. Commence firing.)

If it doesn't work, play dumb... "Then who are you? What are you doing here? Where's Tony?" (Try to move to gun)

I figure its as big of a gamble as compliance, and gives me a chance to get the upper hand. I, personally, would rather try this than trust the BG to not kill/severely injure me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Hopefully dog or alarm would alert me first. Always depends on how close he is . If he literal on top me in bed well he may be getting a lead club to the head then.... but near the bed sure happy to help you all my vaulables are over here let me unlock the safe for you ( then of course get the other gun out and let the son of a gun have it ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    BG went into the garage while wife drove out. Duh.

1) Door between garage and house needs to be locked all the time and reinforced if possible.

2) Garage should have a couple of inexpensive (spend a lot if so inclined but I don't think it matters) driveway
    alert.

The second would have let him know someone was in the garage. The first would have slowed the BG down or stopped him in his tracks.

Homeowner came out OK (except for emotional scars) all things considered.
    All common sense but some people just dont get it. My wife would not lock the door you speek of. It drove in INSANE as I would come home from work and it would be unlocked. Finally after she had a wallet stolen from her (she left it in a Target shopping cart) she got scared enough to think of safety/security a bit.

I need to reinforce a few doors around my home and activate the monitoring service on my alarm. Im thinking these events are going to become more prevelent in the future when the government stops with the handouts soon. Those that have not will TAKE BY FORCE from those with.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    We have a lock on the BR door, which, while not substantial, would cause enough noise getting through that the a few seconds would be available to arm up. Getting in through the garage seems like an extreme lack of SA on the part of the wife. I'd take her to the pound. :)

VIP Member
    Kobayashi Maru.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Do what the person tells you to do, looking for an opportunity to turn the tables.

How he got past the 150 lbs of dog that would be happy to remove body parts from people he doesn't know, I haven't figured out.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Shoot my worthless dog!
    WHEC724 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links