Long-ish Shot - Active Shooter

This is a discussion on Long-ish Shot - Active Shooter within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend and I ran a scenario the other day. Active shooter, 33 yards away (just picked a random, non-standard distance beyond 25 yards), all ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Long-ish Shot - Active Shooter

Long-ish Shot - Active Shooter

A friend and I ran a scenario the other day. Active shooter, 33 yards away (just picked a random, non-standard distance beyond 25 yards), all that is available is a head shot. You are at church and know all of the potential victims well. Draw from concealment. You miss, you likely hit an innocent bystander. Target is 4 inch circle.

I ran it twice. I hit the target both times (not bullseye, in fact, barely on target), but it took me almost 5 seconds to draw, get on target, and squeeze off the shot on a stationary target while I was also stationary.

I learned that I am not very confident on long-ish (over 25 yard) shots.

Anyone else run drills like this? What were your results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Now you understand why the rifle was invented.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I wouldn't call it a drill, but I have practiced making hits at 75-100 yards with the 1911 to see what kind of hold-off was required. (Hint: lots.)

A head shot at 33 yards with a defensive pistol is nothing I would attempt, assuming good-guy no-shoots all around the target, unless the active shooter was actually executing innocents.

Lots of variables here, as with nearly every other scenario. Is the shooter moving? Reloading? Obscured by hard cover? Can I get closer? If I can halve the distance, I have good confidence in a head shot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    Ya that sounds like a pretty tough drill. I'm not gonna even try to lie - 33 yards to hit a 4" target with my G19? I might get a few hits out of a whole mag, unless I got to bench rest on something or lay prone - even then it wouldn't be consistent hits.

I'd say in that situation I would have to find a way to get COM hits + close some distance.
    RockingGlock32 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Interesting drill, most likely you would just draw fire. But it could buy maybe enough time for things to go south for thr BG.

Your right, every CC holder should from time to time practice outside there comfort zone.

Lead Moderator
    Long shot to take under stress . I do practice shooting longer shots but under stress it would be very difficult .
    Aceoky and Rock and Glock like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    You miss, you likely hit an innocent bystander. Target is 4 inch circle.
    If that's the situation you better not take the shot! If a miss will hit a bystander than don't expect a human head to absorb the bullet and prevent anyone else from being hit.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

That's a long shot fr a 4 1/2" barrel. My accuracy isn't real great at that distance. I shoot a "ding" target at roughly 10 yards. Pretty tough.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I practice those kinds of shots often. Small target, unknown distance, unknown how long the target will stay still..... its called rabbit hunting. DR

I was shooting several of my 3 inch bbls at the range on Sunday from 25 yards.
    A VERY humbling experience, for me. I used to count Xs in the 10 ring at that distance.... with never an embarrassing 9 ring.

It was hard to believe I used to shoot in LEO Combat Leagues at that distance (long ago). It goes to show shooting is a VERY perishable skill.
    Tough call on that scenario since you are responsible for every round you fire. Most courts will give you 'Law' instead of 'Justice'.

During my 40 year career in LE, I have answered many calls where a decent shooter missed a perp, several times, who was in the same room.... Never underestimate the effects of real stress. (fortunately, for the victim, it works both ways + BGs never practice).

Your scenario, with innocents apt to get hit with any miss, the given distance, with the weapon choice being a pistol, translates to me as: YOU HAVE NO SHOT.

That being said... the shooter will almost certainly move at some point. So either wait for a better shot, or get out and text the police, or whatever. One other thing, if you can see the shooter, why cant he see you? Seems to me that one would want to seek cover, and/or get out of there given the lack of other options.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I practice those kinds of shots often. Small target, unknown distance, unknown how long the target will stay still..... its called rabbit hunting. DR
    You do that with a gun you carry as a defensive sidearm?
    Bad Bob and archercj1954 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    During my 40 year career in LE, I have answered many calls where a decent shooter missed a perp, several times, who was in the same room.... Never underestimate the effects of real stress. (fortunately, for the victim, it works both ways + BGs never practice).
    Matix & Platt did! You never know when those guys' disciples are going to show up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I've done 25 yard shots at my range. COM shots, from the comfort of a safe range and semi-rapid but aimed fire - okay. Head shots at that range are iffy. It's a fun challenge, but in real life, with movement, stress, screaming, and another eight yards to boot...oy.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

We have an 8" plate at 30yrds at our range.
    A realistic COM shot.

We've shot it "movie theater" style, from a chair, parking lot style, making the shot from behind a car, and "clear leather for time", only hits count of course.

It can be humbling.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links