Man beating another man who is blind, what do you do?

This is a discussion on Man beating another man who is blind, what do you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the FOX News story: Philadelphia police ID suspect in brutal beating of blind man | Fox News As a scenario question: In looking ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Man beating another man who is blind, what do you do?

Man beating another man who is blind, what do you do?

Here is the FOX News story:
    Philadelphia police ID suspect in brutal beating of blind man | Fox News

As a scenario question: In looking at this news story on FOX, it is sickening to know that NOBODY did anything to stop the violence or help the blind man who was knocked down, punched and kicked. Let's say you are armed with your concealed weapon, and actually try to get the bad guy off the blind man by pulling or pushing or holding. Would you have acted?

My concern being, although you have a CCW, but have not drawn, you are getting involved in a violent situation. And if the bad guy turned on you and you did fear for your safety, ultimately, you engaged in the conflict. I know having a CCW, means MYOB, but with violence like this on a somewhat disabled person, I would feel I need to get involved....

What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofMike View Post
    Here is the FOX News story:
    Philadelphia police ID suspect in brutal beating of blind man | Fox News

As a scenario question: In looking at this news story on FOX, it is sickening to know that NOBODY did anything to stop the violence or help the blind man who was knocked down, punched and kicked. Let's say you are armed with your concealed weapon, and actually try to get the bad guy off the blind man by pulling or pushing or holding. Would you have acted?

My concern being, although you have a CCW, but have not drawn, you are getting involved in a violent situation. And if the bad guy turned on you and you did fear for your safety, ultimately, you engaged in the conflict. I know having a CCW, means MYOB, but with violence like this on a somewhat disabled person, I would feel I need to get involved....

What are your thoughts?
    In my state I can defend a 3rd parties life. In this situation, if he turned on me, I would shoot him in the face....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned I live in California....
    chandler4228 likes this.

We have to understand that some of these situations will have different outcomes based on state laws. IMO even being in Cali I would still have to respond some how.
    AOK, bigpapa, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

There's a lot of ways to intervene without opening fire. I would also be more inclined to intervene if I was sure the victim was blind. But I also know how much Kalifornians like to protect their criminals. Tough to say what the best course of action is.

VIP Member
    I would call 911 and be a good witness. It's hard to know what was happening from the surveillance video, except that one person was kicking another. Unless I knew for a fact that the man was blind and that he was just a victim on an unprovoked attack, I would not get directly involved. The law may allow the defense of a third party, but there is no duty to act. Of course, if the attack was against me or a loved one, game on!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Call 911 and take photos with your cell phone. If he turns on you for that, then you might have to shoot him.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

i would hurry up and pull out my cell phone record and post on youtube as quick as possible lol. all joking asside, i would help the guy wouldnt just walk by like it was the norm
    G23 gen3 HD
    G27 gen3 EDC
    Bushmaster AR15
    Rem 870

Riddle me this: The "Blind Man" is a criminal, faking blindness and the guy beating him is an UC cop making an, albeit violent, arrest. Whaddaya do NOW? Did you witness the event start to finish? Do you know this is not the case...?
    archer51 and AustinArmory like this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Or the "Blind Man" just pulled a gun on "Attacker" and you are watching the remainder of the event after the initial confrontation?

I'd prefer to know the facts.
    Sister and archer51 like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Well, in that case, you should have quietly sat down and waited your turn to be beaten.
    StormRhydr, mook012 and BugDude like this.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

VIP Member
    If a blind guy pulls a gun on you, could you just move over a little bit . I would help someone that was disabled i could only do the right thing and let the chips fall where they may .
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    If a blind guy pulls a gun on you, could you just move over a little bit . I would help someone that was disabled i could only do the right thing and let the chips fall where they may .
    Or learn to throw your voice,, If I seen it from the start & blind guy was in real dire need,
    I'd open a can of whoop arse ; ) Just sayin..
    H/D
    Sister and welder516 like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    In my state I can defend a 3rd parties life. In this situation, if he turned on me, I would shoot him in the face....
    Same here.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro - Gave it to my Daughter to carry.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro Duotone 13+1.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 HC Pro Duotone 17+1.
    Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Disabled or not , A guy is laying defenciveless and taking a stomping I know what Id do! He is just one kick away from being killed! DR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links