Firearm Training Simulator (FaTS)

This is a discussion on Firearm Training Simulator (FaTS) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got to do something pretty fun and interesting this evening. I'm going through the Citizens Academy of my county's Sheriff's Department. Tonight's session was ...

I got to do something pretty fun and interesting this evening.

I'm going through the Citizens Academy of my county's Sheriff's Department.

Tonight's session was going through the Firearm Training Simulator. It's basically a life-sized video game using filmed live actors, mainly used to train police officers. It uses real Glocks converted to be cycled by compressed air and scored by the computer.

You're put through different scenarios such as bus hostage situations, active shooter scenarios, BG's armed with knives, escalated confrontations with hands concealed, etc. There are also scared friendlies both close enough to be collateral damage, and that do things such as come running out of doors, etc. Your job is to not get shot, shoot the bad guy(s) if necessary, and not shoot the good guys.

It really puts into perspective how quickly someone can draw and shoot or turn and shoot. I also found it interesting how well using the front-sight method worked. All my shots except one were center-mass, and the one that wasn't went through the shoulder (and unfortunately hit one of the passengers on the bus).

lucky you!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I think it is a really decent training aid. The instructor can alter the scenarios in real time depending on how you are responding. I found that the scenarios really "sucked me into them" when we used it during the Reserve Academy.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Blanco, I've done the same thing ... the video simulator room, the Citizens Academy thing. Good stuff.

Can be a useful tool for helping with shoot / don't shoot scenarios, rapidly changing the plan and thinking as things blow sideways, dealing with unexpected situations. Amazing, how differently "charged" these simulators can be, above and beyond a simple simulated range event.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links