A true story:CCW left in vehicle.Used against owner.

This is a discussion on A true story:CCW left in vehicle.Used against owner. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a true story. My uncle and I are only one year apart in age.I see him as a brother because we lived and ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By amendment4
  • 2 Post By ppkheat
  • 2 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By mprp
  • 2 Post By Qtip
  • 2 Post By maxwell97
  • 1 Post By amendment4

Thread: A true story:CCW left in vehicle.Used against owner.

This is a true story.

My uncle and I are only one year apart in age.I see him as a brother because we lived and went to school together. At the time of this incident we worked together.He being owner and CEO.

My uncle was getting ready for work this particular morning.He was standing in his kitchen which faces out towards his horse corral and garden area.His bird dog "Beth"started barking non stop.My uncle yelled out the back door to "charge"which is a command to stop/heal.She continued barking so He decided to go to the window and see what was going on.He looked in the direction that "Beth"was looking and he saw what he taught was a white plastic grocery bag stuck in the tomatoe plants.He then saw it was moving.

My uncle went out and got in his Dodge Ram 4x4 and drove through the horse pen and headed towards the garden.He pulled within 10 yards of the garden and all hell broke loose.

The "white bag"stood up and began firing into my uncle's truck.My uncle ducked down across the front seat at the same time reaching for his 45 auto which was on the floorboard or so he tought.
    He fumbled around for it and realized it was not there.The whole time he is doing this he had slamed his truck in reverse,stomping on the accelerator pedal and plowing through his horse corral fence.
    The barbed wire had become wrapped around his axle and drive shaft.He came to a stop.He had to think quick.He bailed out of the truck from the passenger side leaving the door open to provide some cover.He ran at a 45 degree angle away from the Perp.Keeping the truck in between him and the BG.

He made it back to the house and grabbed his 30-06 rifle and went back out through the front door so as to flank the BG.The BG was gone.

So needless to say this BG had been in my uncle's truck and lifted his pistol and used it against him.
    No harm to my uncle but his truck was riddled with bullet holes from the front bumper up through the block and windshield.
    The BG was later caught.The chase and capture by th LE is a story in of itself.Maybe later.
    ccw9mm, Hopyard and msgt/ret like this.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Always keep a gun in car locked up or out easy finding might not stop them but would slow them down . This is the one time the darn lawyer locks could be good on a gun . That is for a truck gun. Course most of the keys are universal but at least it should not be turn on you..

Also why did the bad guy not run he had the gun ? You think he was crazy or targeting the owner or could he not run?

Also that story scred the heck out of me . Me perosnal if I lived on farm land like that I would keep a gun on me . Was this his carry gun that he left in the car or just a truck gun? Happy to hear the good ending though..

Wow! Your uncle was pretty lucky there. Glad he was alright and doubly glad the BG was apprehended.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Glad your uncle is okay. Instinctively he used reverse for distance and to rearm, though it's interesting to wonder how it would have turned out with the truck in "drive".
    patri0t and amendment4 like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

The best way to learn a lesson, is from 'other' folks' mistakes. Learning for yourself is usually way more difficult, if not deadly.

In the LE academy, we were taught how NOT to do many, many things. I listened. To my surprise, 40 years later, I was still alive... so I retired.

"Truck In Drive". LOL I like that one
    msgt/ret and Aceoky like this.

How sure are you that those are tomato plants? Kidding

Glad everything is OK. I guess it's a good thing that it was his .45 he left in the truck rather than the .30-06. Yikes!
    amendment4 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Always keep a gun in car locked up or out easy finding might not stop them but would slow them down . This is the one time the darn lawyer locks could be good on a gun . That is for a truck gun. Course most of the keys are universal but at least it should not be turn on you..

Also why did the bad guy not run he had the gun ? You think he was crazy or targeting the owner or could he not run?

Also that story scred the heck out of me . Me perosnal if I lived on farm land like that I would keep a gun on me . Was this his carry gun that he left in the car or just a truck gun? Happy to hear the good ending though..
    This BG was stealing for drug money.He later told the LE that he taught my uncle was going to run over him is why he fired on him.That was my uncle's truck gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Glad your uncle is okay. Instinctively he used reverse for distance and to rearm, though it's interesting to wonder how it would have turned out with the truck in "drive".
    Good One!!!

Glad he's ok. The next worst part about the ordeal will be getting that barbed wire untangled. I'd almost rather get shot at.
    msgt/ret and ppkheat like this.

Glad it worked out. This is a good illustration of why it's always good to have a gun on your person, even if it's a snubby or pocket auto. In this case he'd have had the ability to fight back if he had not been able to escape.
    oneshot and amendment4 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    Glad he's ok. The next worst part about the ordeal will be getting that barbed wire untangled. I'd almost rather get shot at.
    Lord aint that the truth.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Glad it worked out. This is a good illustration of why it's always good to have a gun on your person, even if it's a snubby or pocket auto. In this case he'd have had the ability to fight back if he had not been able to escape.
    I agree.Being out in the country we tend to get that false sinse of security.But nowadays I don't think there is really any place where we should let our guard down.I too live not far from my uncle and I carry when I am outside.Especially now the day are getting shorter and I'm out feeding the animals in the dark most of the time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    I hate wrapped up wire around something, among everything else it may cut the seals, dump your lube, then it all gets worse.

I wasn't involved in this picture and glad I wasn't. OTOH, this is probably a good case for dropping the entire driveshaft with accompanying ball of wire and put it all in the scrap metal bin. I think this happens to be box springs.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Glad your uncle escaped harm.

As Rob Pincus and others teach and recommend, it's not a good idea to confront a stranger, trespasser, home invader like that on your property or even in your own home as you all are probably aware.

But... In reality, how many of us on this forum would do the exact same thing? Perhaps it's best to always assume the very worst case scenario with all strangers in and outside our homes and not assume anything and be prepared.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

VIP Member
    Glad he is ok .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Links