I think I was targeted today

This is a discussion on I think I was targeted today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im pretty sure that I was targeted today. I finished up early, and the wife & I headed to get a bite to eat, and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: I think I was targeted today

I think I was targeted today

Im pretty sure that I was targeted today. I finished up early, and the wife & I headed to get a bite to eat, and hit costco on Charlotte Ave, in Nashville. About 1/4 mile away, there are a number of fast food places.

We got some takeout, and pulled into a huge, but mostly empty parking lot within eyesight of the fast food place. It was around 1:30 PM. If Im honest about it, I have to say that Im always on alert. So when I selected a place to park, so that we could eat, I did so carefully.

Ie something with a good field of view, little room for others to pull in to block me, etc. On my drivers side, I left a space between my vehicle, and another parked there.

A dirty, older car, zips in next to mine. They guy is looking over at me, trying to get my attention. Smiling, acting like he knew me, etc. I probably looked at him a tad longer than I should have, but while doing so, slipped a holstered pocket pistol out of the console, and slid it under my thigh.

The next thing the guy does is lean forward, and give me this goofy grin, and does this creepy kind of wave. At that point, I take note that my car is running, the doors are locked, slap it into drive, and start forward.

My wife yells for me to "look out!" as there is another car that is heading right at my front end. Aiming right for me.

I said something that sounded a bit like "Fudge that!", spun the wheel, gunned my SUV, and proceeded on. I left the original "smiley, wavey, distracting guy" sitting there, and lost track of the other one.

In under a minute, the original guy, who never got out of his car,(to go shopping, or whatever), took off.

My conclusions: The two cars were working in concert, and we came very close to a much closer encounter than we had. It would not have been the kind of encounter they imagined, either, if it had come down to it.

This was all in a decent part of Nashville, in broad daylight. If it could happen there, it could happen anywhere, at any time. I was armed, and prepared to use the force needed to halt any threats. Fortunately, I did not need to.

My wife was amazed that they would target our vehicle, because of the type license plate we have on it. I wont say what kind of plate it is, but I think its fair to say that most any criminal would avoid it like the plague, IF THEY SAW IT. I can only assume they were not reading license plates at that time, lol.

Oh, the first guy had an out of state plate on his car. Il, I think. I didnt report anything, as I really didnt think of it at the time. I sort of acted on auto pilot, and handled the situation, then went about shopping.

I will say that those idiots who talk about "just call the police", when a situation happens would have been toast. There was not time to do other than what I did, and Im pretty lucky it turned out as well as it did. Then again, so are they.

2. Remove Ads

Glad you're both safe. I think you're right as far as them working together. I wonder how many times this has happened where they go off smiling after pulling a stunt like this not realizing how close they actually came to being shot because the good / smart ones were able to get out of the situation. I'm sure you'll hear of them on the news soon. Good job remaining alert.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

If you were not targeted that was an amazing string of coincidences. Glad you and yours are OK.

There is no accounting for some whack-jobs out there. Seems obvious they were up to no good, probably pushing your buttons to test you out as a victim of some sort.

You did well to remain alert to your surroundings and not over-react. Too many people packin' these days to just safely pounce on a victim.

With so many out of work these since these days, it gives some clowns too much time to get into trouble.
    I don't see any need to call LE since they didn't really break any laws... yet. I'd guess they were looking for trouble.
    You'll never know and that is the main idea.
    Congrats on handling that well.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Nice,you where one up on them and you never can tell what or when stuff like this is going to happen, thanks for sharing. The wife and my mother will be traveling here shortly and I need to be watching.
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

VIP Member
    Hmmm. Tough to tell without being there. It most certainly could have been two vehicles working together or it could have been just a coincidence. Personally, I alway err to the side of 'it's on purpose, not coincidence' so I think you did the right thing.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

This is a common maneuver, the unison aspect...Driving in downtown MKE (some good, some bad) I was at a stop sign waiting to turn right. A guy walked up to the car and asked me for a quarter. I of course said I didn't have one and he preceded to tell me to "just give him one". So I grabbed his shirt to see if he wanted to go for a ride and as I took off there just happened to be another in front of my car. Guess he thought I cared. He was wrong. Luckily for him he wasn't directly in front of my car and leaped out of the way as I floored it taking the "gentlman's" shirt with me. Don't think they tried that for awhile after.

This is why I like dashboard cameras.

Yeah that sound like a pre planed event , but daylight seems crazy . The fact that he took off meant either yes he was planning on robbery or he may have know you or thouhg he did or was so drunk etc he though he did. But I am betting on option a. Sounds like you did good and good driving .

This is why I like to eat at sit-down restaurants or at home ....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I will say that those idiots who talk about "just call the police", when a situation happens would have been toast. There was not time to do other than what I did, and Im pretty lucky it turned out as well as it did. Then again, so are they.
    There are precious few who carry who get targeted in situation who'd ever claim calling the police as a primary response would be suitable. The vast majority are going to be those who have zero SA, mindset, defensive alternatives, as though calling for help could result in resolving the issue. But as you point out, the trouble is with an immediate situation going down is that it's going to resolve itself long before any remote help can arrive. You either deal with it, or not.

Sounds like a situation was brewing, yes. Congrats on seeing it unfold and taking immediate steps to deal with it.

This sort of situation is one of the reasons that if I'm inside the car I keep the doors locked, windows up, car on and in gear ready to roll, and dawdle as briefly as possible. You never know what's comin' around the bend.
    JDE101, gatorbait51 and Sky Pilot like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Was there a parking space in front of you? Could have just been somebody pulling in. Or, was he coming in from the side? But, regardless, better safe than sorry. I think your reaction was justified.

The only concern I'd have is whether you were watching the road, or parking lot, in particular.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    Glad you had a set of eyes on things sounds to me you were being worked .
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

To add a little more info, the parking lot in question, where it all went down, is a huge parking lot, but was virtually empty. And thats normal for that location. Its common for people to park there while eating takeout, and move along when done.

The 2nd car who came straight at me, ... no, no way he was parking, he was coming at me to hem me in. He came thru other parking spaces to stop my vehicle. No way he was just some guy looking for a parking space, and happened to focus on ramming me after weaving through other cars.

He actually turned his wheel to intercept the front of my car. Ie turned into me on purpose. If I continued straight, I would have been either hit, or stopped, I couldnt go left, so I spun the wheel, gunned the car, and took the alternate route out of there.
    maxwell97 and gatorbait51 like this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    It's good you were aware and watching.One thing i always do,whether i'm behind someone at a stop sign or a redlight or where ever,i always make sure,i have enough room to not get boxed in.

I remember years ago when i was living at home with my parents,the cops were after car thieves.It's been a few years and i can't remember all of the details.

Someone would be at a stop sign and a car would pull up behind them.A third car would get behind the second driver so close they couldn't go anywhere.It was a setup to steal the car.I've always kept that in the back of my mind.

To add a little more info, the parking lot in question, where it all went down, is a huge parking lot, but was virtually empty. And thats normal for that location. Its common for people to park there while eating takeout, and move along when done.

The 2nd car who came straight at me, ... no, no way he was parking, he was coming at me to hem me in. He came thru other parking spaces to stop my vehicle. No way he was just some guy looking for a parking space, and happened to focus on ramming me after weaving through other cars.

He actually turned his wheel to intercept the front of my car. Ie turned into me on purpose. If I continued straight, I would have been either hit, or stopped, I couldnt go left, so I spun the wheel, gunned the car, and took the alternate route out of there.
    Ah, understood. Well, then, you definitely made the right move, IMHO. Got away clean, didn't have to shoot. Well done on spotting it early!
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Im pretty sure that I was targeted today. I finished up early, and the wife & I headed to get a bite to eat, and hit costco on Charlotte Ave, in Nashville. About 1/4 mile away, there are a number of fast food places.

We got some takeout, and pulled into a huge, but mostly empty parking lot within eyesight of the fast food place. It was around 1:30 PM. If Im honest about it, I have to say that Im always on alert. So when I selected a place to park, so that we could eat, I did so carefully.

Ie something with a good field of view, little room for others to pull in to block me, etc. On my drivers side, I left a space between my vehicle, and another parked there.

A dirty, older car, zips in next to mine. They guy is looking over at me, trying to get my attention. Smiling, acting like he knew me, etc. I probably looked at him a tad longer than I should have, but while doing so, slipped a holstered pocket pistol out of the console, and slid it under my thigh.

The next thing the guy does is lean forward, and give me this goofy grin, and does this creepy kind of wave. At that point, I take note that my car is running, the doors are locked, slap it into drive, and start forward.

My wife yells for me to "look out!" as there is another car that is heading right at my front end. Aiming right for me.

I said something that sounded a bit like "Fudge that!", spun the wheel, gunned my SUV, and proceeded on. I left the original "smiley, wavey, distracting guy" sitting there, and lost track of the other one.

In under a minute, the original guy, who never got out of his car,(to go shopping, or whatever), took off.

My conclusions: The two cars were working in concert, and we came very close to a much closer encounter than we had. It would not have been the kind of encounter they imagined, either, if it had come down to it.

This was all in a decent part of Nashville, in broad daylight. If it could happen there, it could happen anywhere, at any time. I was armed, and prepared to use the force needed to halt any threats. Fortunately, I did not need to.

My wife was amazed that they would target our vehicle, because of the type license plate we have on it. I wont say what kind of plate it is, but I think its fair to say that most any criminal would avoid it like the plague, IF THEY SAW IT. I can only assume they were not reading license plates at that time, lol.

Oh, the first guy had an out of state plate on his car. Il, I think. I didnt report anything, as I really didnt think of it at the time. I sort of acted on auto pilot, and handled the situation, then went about shopping.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS TO HAVE A CWP!

You were aware, vigilant, prepared, you had your firearm close to hand; and yet, you used avoidance to keep from having to use violence.

The only thing you might have done better, was to use "long focus" to catch the other, blocking car, with peripheral vision... But, with an extra set of eyes, you "fudged that!" And escaped none the worse for wear...

GREAT JOB! WELL DONE!

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links