What I Learned Just Now.

This is a discussion on What I Learned Just Now. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just something i did wrong that needs correcting. A Learning moment on situational awareness. I went out through the garage to get my mail, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What I Learned Just Now.

What I Learned Just Now.

Just something i did wrong that needs correcting. A Learning moment on situational awareness. I went out through the garage to get my mail, and retrieve empty garbage can. My Son and his family live next door. He had his car doors open(Old Junker that he is selling) and garage open. I did not see him so i figured he was inside his house. Reentered garage to house and looking at mail hit button on wall for garage door to close. Entered house and locked door to garage. Then i heard a knocking thought it was my son at front door. "HOLD ON I'M COMING" no one at front door....... Turned around and my son is waving at me from living room. He jumped over garage door sensor as door was closing and snuck in using his key......... Wife looks at me and says. Great! , what if that wasn't your son who just did that... Today i was schooled in SITUATIONAL AWARENESS!
    darbo, Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

2. Remove Ads

A great reminder for all of us! Thanks for sharing!

Semper Paratus et Armare
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

It happens to the best of us. Lessons are learned every day.....
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

Easy way to learn. Little if any downside.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Do you carry full-time? If so, the lesson learned could have quite easily been a different one.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Your son is a ninja? Congrats!

Seriously thanks for posting. You got interested in the mail, it happens but we need to learn that it can wait.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I never leave the garage door until it's all the way down and locked.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Good job in recognizing the lapse. Don't sweat it. No one can be on 24hrs a day. We all do the best we can.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    There was another post recently about someone entering the house through the garage door before it closed. Since then I've made sure to either wait until the door completely closes before entering my house or driving away. I've also changed habits and now lock the door from the garage to the house. It's not paranoia - it's just good sense to make sure your door is closed before walking away.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I would not possibly make that mistake. Not on my worst day!! I dont have a garage
    archer51 and Aceoky like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I must be a little slow. What am I missing? You say your son used a key. How many non-relatives do you have that have keys to your house/doors? Could someone jump the sensor and enter without a key? Also, maybe my home-orientation is different. When I come in through the garage, no one could jump the sensor or do ANYthing in ANYway to also get into my house without me seeing them. When I get in the door, YOU'RE gonna come in the door with me or you ain't gonna come in! I'm still sketchy here ....

My attached garage is on the side of the house and access door opens into a hallway that goes to the rest of the home. I'd see a cat coming in with me, absolutely wouldn't miss a human.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

We all learn lessons.
    Thank your son for the opportunity to learn something new.

I'm always armed, and if I'm in the garage with the door open and then close it...I watch it go all the way down.
    If I'm leaving in the car, I watch the garage door go all the way down. The wife and I were just talking about this very thing.
    oneshot, Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    I must be a little slow. What am I missing? You say your son used a key. How many non-relatives do you have that have keys to your house/doors? Could someone jump the sensor and enter without a key? Also, maybe my home-orientation is different. When I come in through the garage, no one could jump the sensor or do ANYthing in ANYway to also get into my house without me seeing them. When I get in the door, YOU'RE gonna come in the door with me or you ain't gonna come in! I'm still sketchy here ....

My attached garage is on the side of the house and access door opens into a hallway that goes to the rest of the home. I'd see a cat coming in with me, absolutely wouldn't miss a human.
    Son had house built next door. We both have each other's keys. And I do carry Even in the house. And no, I would not shoot my son, even when he's a practical joker.
    Last edited by Kennydale; October 18th, 2013 at 11:32 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    We all learn lessons.
    Thank your son for the opportunity to learn something new.

I'm always armed, and if I'm in the garage with the door open and then close it...I watch it go all the way down.
    If I'm leaving in the car, I watch the garage door go all the way down. The wife and I were just talking about this very thing.
    I'm with him. Don't get out of my suv until the garage door is down, I look and watch the whole time then only get out with my loaded (of course) gun. Do a sweep of the garage, let dog out about the same time then dog goes inside house first after I unlock it and stand back, then I sweep the house with gun in one hand and pepper spray in other and dog right by my side.

I know, sounds paranoid huh?! Moving date is next Wednesday - This is just a bit too secluded for me living alone.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Son had house built next door. We both have each other's keys. And I do carry Even in the house. And no, I would not shoot my son, even when he's a practical joker.
    What if you just shot him in the leg and tell him that is for pulling a practical joke on you and the next time it will be worse for him???? Maybe that will learn him a lesson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links