Recent Restroom Incident

This is a discussion on Recent Restroom Incident within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So last weekend my wife, son and I went to a concert down in a nearby tourist trap town. Afterwards we decided to grab some ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Recent Restroom Incident

Recent Restroom Incident

So last weekend my wife, son and I went to a concert down in a nearby tourist trap town. Afterwards we decided to grab some dinner and ended up at a pizza restaurant on the strip. So being in the over 50 club and a heavy diet coke drinker I require frequent trips to the restroom.

After dinner I excused myself to use the facilities. When I walked in there was someone at the urinal so I walked past to the first stall, when done i noticed that the guy was still at the urinal, it struck me as a little odd that he was taking so long but I shook it off, washed up and left. Just as I was walking out the door my son comes walking up headed for the restroom, so I stopped right outside the door and scanned through the juke box close to the door. My son is not quite a teenager yet and is quite modest so he prefers the privacy of a stall for all of his business and always seems to take forever.

So, I cruise through the jukebox for quite a while, at least 4-5 minutes and then it hits me that the guy that was walking to wash up when I walked out had not exited the restroom. Being that I was right by the door I knew that I had not missed him, I walked back in the restroom and as soon as I opened the door I gave him a hard look and when he looked up he had this kind of funny look on his face, I took a step towards the back of the restroom to check on my son and he immediately hit the door. All was well with my son so I walked right back out and this guy was nowhere to be found. It's a fairly large restaurant and it is quite a ways to the only entrance/exit. I even walked and checked every table and booth, as I was trying to determine if he was a legitimate diner. I asked my wife if she noticed anyone leaving in a hurry, but she is the oblivious one most of the time.

I have no idea what the guy was up to, but I am usually a good read of people, and something about this was not right. So like everyone always says, pay attention to your surroundings and what people around you are doing.
    atctimmy, Eagleks, darbo and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

The weird 'perps' are all around us...nice SA on your part.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good SA! Good for your son too! Easy to be targeted by trouble makers in public RR. Stalls provide a measure of security.
    I always try to use stalls in public RR.

Starsnbars
    Deo Vindice!
    We warned you in1862!
    84160 and Sky Pilot like this.

YEP, if theirs no stall with locked door ill hold it. don't want to have flipper whipped out and a fight happens behind me or some thing like that. good job for protecting your family..
    G23 gen3 HD
    G27 gen3 EDC
    Bushmaster AR15
    Rem 870

Sounds like your radar was spot-on, that time. Sounds like he was thinking of making a move but got interrupted, prior to your child knowing any different. Good for you, to keep the radar up.

You never know. They walk amongst us. Wherever we go, they can go too. Worth remembering.
    84160, Aceoky, Eagleks and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Way to stay on your toes. I think he was probably up to something, and apparently, he knew you did to. That's probably why he got out of there so quick when you went back in.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Distinguished Member
    Very good SA on your part, definitely seems like he was up to something.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Yep, I agree with all the other posters and I think you did real good.

My only other suggestion that would take you from "real good" to "very good" would be that when you went back in because you "felt" that something wasn't quite right (you were most likely spot-on), you should have taken this guy's picture with your cell phone and then sent it to the local LE agency

There is a decent chance that the guy is a registered sex offender who was out "trolling" trying to act innocent yet looking for a new victim. Had you sent his picture to LE, along with your story, they could have run his picture against registered sex offenders in the area. If there was a "hit" on his identity, they could go and have a little "chat" with him. The recidivism rate (rate of re-offense) for pedophiles is thru-the-roof--meaning that in practical terms, once a pedophile, almost always a pedophile.....
    ccw9mm, archer51, 84160 and 7 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I pass up the urinals and head to the stalls even if a urinal is available. I don't like standing there with my back to people. Good job on following your gut instincts. Glad all turned out will.
    BenGoodLuck and Starsnbars like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good call. Sounds to me like somebody trying to get a little peak at anybody using the facilities.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Yuck. Sounds like a pedophile creep or someone who plays for the other team and was looking for a "friendly."

My son is 4 and I have him come into the ladies' room with me if I'm out without the hubby. As he gets older and it's more unacceptable for him to be in the ladies' room, he's going to have to be on his own in the men's room. I really cringe when I think about it. I'm going to have to teach him to be aware of his surroundings and get away and scream at the top of his lungs so I can hear him outside the restroom.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Cstlbrzs58 View Post
    So last weekend my wife, son and I went to a concert down in a nearby tourist trap town. Afterwards we decided to grab some dinner and ended up at a pizza restaurant on the strip. So being in the over 50 club and a heavy diet coke drinker I require frequent trips to the restroom.

After dinner I excused myself to use the facilities. When I walked in there was someone at the urinal so I walked past to the first stall, when done i noticed that the guy was still at the urinal, it struck me as a little odd that he was taking so long but I shook it off, washed up and left. Just as I was walking out the door my son comes walking up headed for the restroom, so I stopped right outside the door and scanned through the juke box close to the door. My son is not quite a teenager yet and is quite modest so he prefers the privacy of a stall for all of his business and always seems to take forever.

So, I cruise through the jukebox for quite a while, at least 4-5 minutes and then it hits me that the guy that was walking to wash up when I walked out had not exited the restroom. Being that I was right by the door I knew that I had not missed him, I walked back in the restroom and as soon as I opened the door I gave him a hard look and when he looked up he had this kind of funny look on his face, I took a step towards the back of the restroom to check on my son and he immediately hit the door. All was well with my son so I walked right back out and this guy was nowhere to be found. It's a fairly large restaurant and it is quite a ways to the only entrance/exit. I even walked and checked every table and booth, as I was trying to determine if he was a legitimate diner. I asked my wife if she noticed anyone leaving in a hurry, but she is the oblivious one most of the time.

I have no idea what the guy was up to, but I am usually a good read of people, and something about this was not right. So like everyone always says, pay attention to your surroundings and what people around you are doing.
    That has got to be the most poorly worded sentence on this forum.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Yep, I agree with all the other posters and I think you did real good.

My only other suggestion that would take you from "real good" to "very good" would be that when you went back in because you "felt" that something wasn't quite right (you were most likely spot-on), you should have taken this guy's picture with your cell phone and then sent it to the local LE agency

There is a decent chance that the guy is a registered sex offender who was out "trolling" trying to act innocent yet looking for a new victim. Had you sent his picture to LE, along with your story, they could have run his picture against registered sex offenders in the area. If there was a "hit" on his identity, they could go and have a little "chat" with him. The recidivism rate (rate of re-offense) for pedophiles is thru-the-roof--meaning that in practical terms, once a pedophile, almost always a pedophile.....
    I will strongly advise everyone to not take photos or videos in public restrooms. Doing so could land you in a lot of legal trouble.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    tcox4freedom and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Yuck. Sounds like a pedophile creep or someone who plays for the other team and was looking for a "friendly."

My son is 4 and I have him come into the ladies' room with me if I'm out without the hubby. As he gets older and it's more unacceptable for him to be in the ladies' room, he's going to have to be on his own in the men's room. I really cringe when I think about it. I'm going to have to teach him to be aware of his surroundings and get away and scream at the top of his lungs so I can hear him outside the restroom.
    Mrs. Whec bent the rules on bringing my son into the bathroom with her as long as she could. When he was finally too old, she'd stand directly outside the men's room door, with instructions for him to scream bloody murder.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links