Real Situation...Your Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Real Situation...Your Thoughts? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok all, This happened to me this past summer, I would just like to hear your thoughts on what you would have done in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok all,
    This happened to me this past summer, I would just like to hear your thoughts on what you would have done in the same situation.

My Father and I were driving to Wally World (in two cars), we were on a back road and an individual was in his front yard doing yard work.
    As my Father drove past, the man screamed something to my Dad and threw a rock at his car.
    My Dad stopped the car and got out to check if the rock had hit.
    I stopped behind him, and this guy started yelling at my Dad for speeding.
    My Father and I walked over to him and words were said , and the guy told us to get off his property (we were 2 paces or so on his front lawn, about 5 feet from our cars).
    My dad and I began to walk backward to our cars and this guy pointed a pole saw (the ones used to trim trees) and attempted to stab at my Father with it.

OK so, what are your thoughts on this, what would you have done?
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a
    large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

I think i would have waited til i was down the street a little before i checked my car for damage .

As far as him pointing the pole saw at your dad , your walking away already ( which is the right thing to do ) Is he coming at your dad with it or standing his ground with it .
    It goes to your thought on what his thoughts were at the time either to shoe you and your dad away or assulat your dad . If it was to harm your dad then u have to make a choice and very fast.

Sometimes these things are posted and people say either shoot or dont shoot but its hard to put yourself in the shoes of someone else with out all the details.

What did you do ?

Get to a safe position (distance is your friend)...call 911...so far this guy working in his yard is the aggressor--I'm sure there is something on the books that says you can't throw rocks at cars (escapes me at the moment); then there's the assault thing with the pole saw...

I would keep 911 on the line and wait for an officer....if he became increasingly aggressive, I would defend myself

Based upon the limited amount of info presented....

In Ohio, unfortunately, the *legally* right thing to do, would be limited to calling 911, more than likely... (Father *MAY* have been the aggressor).

PERSONALLY, I would not likely sit by, while someone tries to stab a family member, PARTICULARLY my father.

At the very least, he'd probably get drawn on, and ordered to drop the weapon.

How it plays out from there, is up to the attacker.

Of course, I'd probably try not have let Dad have words with the guy, in the first place... (I'm going to assume, yours is a stubborn as mine, however...)
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Well, thanks for the responces All. I agree that my Dad never should have gotten out of the car to begin with....however once he did...I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. As far as what I did, once he tried to go after my Dad, I placed my hand on my weapon, and ordered him to drop his weapon. He did, I got the 911 call in first, however I took all of the legal shrap, and he dident even get a slap on the wrist for throwing things at cars, nor attacking my Dad. Thanks again Pennsylvania Law!
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a
    large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

Lead Moderator
    That sucks. Problem is cops do not know who started it. Non confrontation and calling Pd when the rock hit is the best bet. Of course hind sight is 20/20.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    glad no one was hurt.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Hell, in most places I can think of, throwing a rock or other projectile at a vehicle in motion is easily considered assault, and in different localities, assault with a deadly weapon at that!

But having said that you were stopped and out of the vehicle, and the incident with the pole saw, I think what you did was just fine.

Administrator
    The first thing I would have done was get physically off his property. That immediately eliminates any "They WereTrespassing" argument on his part.

Ditto: then move the cars a bit further on down the road & one call 911 & one watch him to make sure that he does not approach to begin an assault.

Yes, you are correct that people cannot legally throw rocks at vehicles.
    That hothead (at least) needed to have a police report written up on him to give him some documented criminal history.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I have a strong feeling that just the fact that you stopped and approached a man who was on his own property would prejudice the police to thinking that you were the aggressors. It's a good thing that neither of you drew on him or something, even despite the fact that he was menacing with the pole saw. How would you and your dad prove that the guy had thrown a rock at your car, and how would you demonstrate that you needed to stop and meet up with the guy because of a rock that obviously had not broken a window or injured you... The judgment of others, particularly the authorities, would likely be that you should have gotten to safety, away from the man, before stopping and notifying the police of his rock-throwing. Chances are, if the cops went back to his house with you, he'd have incriminated himself and said, "Yeah, I was pissed off by their speeding!" and on the cuffs would go.

I agree he should have stopped 25 or 30 yards down the road, and if their was evidence of damage do a 911 on him and let the cops arrest him for assault.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

+1 On getting further from the property before stopping the car. If you decide to press charges or file an insurance claim you can always go back and get the address later.

As far as the pole saw goes, I'd treat it the same as a knife: use the 21 foot rule (measured from the end of the blade in this case).

Stepping Onto His Property...

makes you 'look' like the aggressor. I would have stopped further down and checked out the car...no mark...move on...
    Mark or dent?...call police and stay put! If approached, I'd probably still move again, while on the phone with 911...it's all recorded!

"I'm concerned about this individual throwing rocks at cars...yep, now he's coming down the street with some kind of weapon????? It looks like a sword or a long saw? This is pretty crazy, please hurry!"

"Now he's blocking the route to my car, officer, please hurry."

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

travel a few hundred yards down the road and check for damage, not present leave the scene, damage present call 911 and let the law take care of it.
    I am interested what happened to you and what did it cost you or your father? Shouldn't have been anything IMHO.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Don't go back . call the police .There is a law which covers throwing any thing at a car. He would also be libel for any damage to the car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links