Sidearm Retention -- recommendations, techniques and gear

This is a discussion on Sidearm Retention -- recommendations, techniques and gear within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In your training and experience, what are your recommendations for improving the odds for effective retention of your weapons, both in terms of techniques and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Sidearm Retention -- recommendations, techniques and gear

Question Sidearm Retention -- recommendations, techniques and gear

In your training and experience, what are your recommendations for improving the odds for effective retention of your weapons, both in terms of techniques and gear? Got any "best practice" recommendations you've been taught? If you've got any links or references, by all means include them.

Goes for carrying via any means (concealed, openly, belt/shoulder/ankle), when deploying the weapon and engaging.

* Inspired by a recent thread ... Open Carry - Attempted Gun Grabs.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

If you keep it concealed whose going to know it's there to grab?

Only concealed here in fl so no prob
    gatorbait51 likes this.

We all know that no one ever has had a gun grab happen, I do not think we need to worry about it....

On a serious note, I was taught by LE how to retain my weapon and use what ever means to keep it. That is one of the reasons I carry my TDI on my reaction side....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    In your training and experience, what are your recommendations for improving the odds for effective retention of your weapons, both in terms of techniques and gear? Got any "best practice" recommendations you've been taught? If you've got any links or references, by all means include them.

Goes for carrying via any means (concealed, openly, belt/shoulder/ankle), when deploying the weapon and engaging.

* Inspired by a recent thread ... Open Carry - Attempted Gun Grabs.
    As ccw9mm states, we should also explore retention techniques if we ever have to deploy our weapon in close quarters. There's always a possibility that the BG will try to grab the gun and disarm us. I haven't thought much about this, but it's obviously a possibility. And another possibility is losing our weapon in the heat of the moment - either from having a bad grip, nervousness, being wounded, etc. I'm interested in hearing recommendations and techniques.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    If you keep it concealed whose going to know it's there to grab?
    Obviously, in any H2H fight with an assailant, it's possible the gun is found out to be on your person or when going after it in an earnest attempt to use it against the assailant. Either way, once the assailant knows it's there then it's very likely it would seem a tasty treat to be taken, or at least gotten control of. Plus, a concealed sidearm is something some people can pick out on many folks, with a good enough "eye," either due to bulges or demeanor (changes in how one walks/fidgets, etc).
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Obviously, in any H2H fight with an assailant, it's possible the gun is found out to be on your person or when going after it in an earnest attempt to use it against the assailant. Either way, once the assailant knows it's there then it's very likely it would seem a tasty treat to be taken, or at least gotten control of. Plus, a concealed sidearm is something some people can pick out on many folks, with a good enough "eye," either due to bulges or demeanor (changes in how one walks/fidgets, etc).
    Most of the counters I was taught I felt were simply ticket punches by the Dept. to lessen their liability when some one eventually disarmed an officer and killed them and members of the public. We are talking action vs. reaction so onesy twosy's and pirouettes I feel will be useless. Carrying an off hand knife or fire arm was not taught by any Dept. I worked for but IMHO they are the practical technique YMMV.
    Dave
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    open carry an empty giant revolver, or better yet one chambered with a over charged .454 and solid barrel. and then conceal your real fighting pistol. best of both worlds, deterrence and gun grab proof.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I carry a government size 1911 concealed on my right hip and a BUG in my right front pocket.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I use thumb breaks on certain occasions, motorcycle, hiking, four wheeler riding, hunting and while on the tractor. I am just concerned about the weapon coming out and bouncing on the road, concrete, losing it in the woods or coming back for a second pass on a tractor and chopping the gun up with a bush hog. Any other time I just use a snug holster with no added retention. Sometimes, on the motorcycle, I carry a 3" 1911 cross draw IWB with a thumb break. I know it sounds crazy, but it sure is comfortable and draws very naturally. I have seen firearms bounce down the road because of loose holsters with no retention, sliding out of a pocket, or falling out of one of those "holster vests".

My shoulder holsters, Bianchi X15s, have a retention strap with snaps. I never use the straps as there is more than enough tension to hold the guns in place. It is just not natural, for me anyway, to unsnap those straps.

I tried one of those push button retention holsters. They seem to be a good idea, they just dont work for me. I guess that, over time, my thumb just start going to where the thumb break would be, whether the thumb break is there or not. I am too old to change.

Retention of any kind is IMHO, a double edged sword. It may take 1/4 second more someone to get the firearm out of the holster. Retention is going to take the BG a lot more time to relieve you of your weapon. Then again, the gun is not going to fall out of the holster during physical activity.

I would say, again IMHO, if someone uses some type of retention, stick with that type. If you like thumb breaks, then use thumb breaks. If you like the push button type, then use the push button type. I would never mix the two. Things are complicated enough without trying to remember which type of retention that you are using at that particular time. When training, train as if the retention is there, whether it is there or not.
    gatorbait51 and oldranger53 like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

If someone is trying to gain control of my firearm and I'm obviously in a fight for my life, my assailant will either get shot multiple times with my other gun or sliced and diced with my knife or some combination of the two.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Put your hand on the weapon and push it down into the holster while you shoot him with the snub you carry on your off side.

Jim

Seriously, this isn't something you can really learn from a book or discussion. Find someone who trains this stuff and get a partner to practice with occasionally after you get the training.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    When is 'weapon retention' a serious issue, outside of going to a house of ill repute? It's when your firearm is being drawn and presented (at least if you watch movies).

IMO, one should groove in a close to the body aspect when unholstering and avoid sticking your thang out into space and waving it around. Then, when you have the target in view, push and fire. (auto-correct kept changing it to upholstering, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    open carry an empty giant revolver, or better yet one chambered with a over charged .454 and solid barrel. and then conceal your real fighting pistol. best of both worlds, deterrence and gun grab proof.
    Now there's an idea I've never had before!
    My first reaction is perhaps getting the decoy gun confused with the fighting gun, if suddenly required into a SD situation. Hmmmm.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO now Free
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

VIP Member
    Within a safe environment, both gun and knife disarms are ridiculously easy to pull off. Whether the disarms work in the real world involves a bit of luck and wishful thinking. Similarly retention against someone determined to get yours is difficult, especially if they either get lucky or know what they are
    doing.

My great fear is not having one taken from concealment, but taken from my hand while it is deployed or being deployed. I don't think there is a
    "magic" trick or technique that can be relied upon. Young male BGs are often fast, agile, and have practiced their own "jail house" martial art either on the street or in the jail house.

In post 12 Jim's second sentence about says it all.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links