Video - CCW in Action

This is a discussion on Video - CCW in Action within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our very own Columbus, OH. Enjoy. What would you have done differently? Anything you learned from this situation? He used a Glock 23 for all ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video - CCW in Action

Video - CCW in Action

Our very own Columbus, OH.

Enjoy. What would you have done differently? Anything you learned from this situation?

He used a Glock 23 for all those that are curious. BG is still alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZrdbSJVSVM
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    this has been on the net for a while.....
    The more I see this, the less I feel he should have repeatedly fired at a fleeing subject, however that may have indeed saved the life of someone else and I do realize that "tunnel vision" may have been a factor as well..... I am however, so glad the little girl or her mother were not injured by those closely fired shots.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I was just going to say, thats a bit close to that girl.

I think he did a good job in the part, pretending to get the money, then stepping in front of the lady. Just if the women and child weren't standing right there. He also stayed alert the whole time, not taking his focus off the door and what was happening outside. until the cops got there.

I have mixed feelings about this video. On one hand I'm glad he did something to protect everyone, but on the other hand he shot at a flee suspect (no longer a threat) the woman and the girl where probably closer to the shots than the video shows which in my opion was reckless on his part. Overall I think this video is more evidence against him than for him in the eyes of the public.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    i dont agree with shooting at a running away suspect but he did engage before the man ran off, so we dont know what happend off the camera, but i feel that it was probably better if the man was wounded to take him out before getting to someone else and hurting them.. I also dont like the fact that he shot that close to the girls, but i do like the fact of how he kept his motions concealed until the last minute..

Assistant Administrator
    This has been analyzed in depth - unfortunately can't right now find a link back to our other thread/threads.

There are many varied takes - my main crit' was the guy's apparent flamboyant nature afterwards - depending which vid is seen. He did apparently write up a lot of his experience on another gun board - again sorry, no link to hand.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Good for the clerk, it was his lucky day. It was a lucky day for the customers at the counter too.

The irresponsibility of his shooting was taken care of by pure luck.

He also gave up what cover/concealment he had to trying to be hero... poor execution of poor training IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    unfortunately can't right now find a link back to our other thread/threads.
    Couldn't either. Sorry if double post. It seems as though some on here have never seen it before. I am still interested in what other's think.

It is hard to say if what he did was good or bad. Has this hotel been robbed before? Did they just take money and run? He could have saved a life, but then again, could have shot two people in the process, not to mention got two others shot! I don't know what I would have done. It seemed to work out best for him.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Lead Moderator
    yep, the woman and child could have easily been caught in a crossfire. I think the video to music bothers me the most. Shooting someone is not a music video.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm with everyone else. My first thought was "That was to damn close to the little girl!" but hard to say what I would have done. I've never been in a situation like that, and if that was the only opportunity he had to draw his weapon.... who knows.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

yeah I felt the first way when I saw it but I did read some things about this video that seemed to make it "better" than first look..if I recall correctly they were:
    1) shooter claimed that proximity to little girl was much further than it looked on camera
    2) He continuted to shoot as BG was fleeing because BG was aiming/firing weapon behind him and this was confirmed by police

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    yep, the woman and child could have easily been caught in a crossfire. I think the video to music bothers me the most. Shooting someone is not a music video.
    Thank you. What is wrong with people?
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Here's the threads that contain the poster's (Rooftop voter) own words about the legal shooting, no worries from the cops (besides having his sidearm taken as evidence for trial for 5 months), and then going to the guy's day in court.

Initial thread:
    http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274058

Update thread about the sentencing and going to the BG's trial:
    http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260037

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this video. On one hand I'm glad he did something to protect everyone, but on the other hand he shot at a flee suspect (no longer a threat) the woman and the girl where probably closer to the shots than the video shows which in my opion was reckless on his part. Overall I think this video is more evidence against him than for him in the eyes of the public.
    Exactly

I believe it was an XD - not a Glock. The video angle is misleading - the woman and baby are not nearly as close as is perceived. And the fleeing suspect was still armed - therefore still a threat - therefore - he correctly continued to shoot.

As for the video floating around with the music - I do not believe the shooter was involved with that video in anyway. I could be wrong - but to assume so without confirmation is incorrect.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links