Ever witness a crime that you didn't report? - Page 2

Ever witness a crime that you didn't report?

This is a discussion on Ever witness a crime that you didn't report? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 The car stopped when it got near, and it turned out to be a really old man who was lost and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever witness a crime that you didn't report?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    The car stopped when it got near, and it turned out to be a really old man who was lost and very confused. I ended up driving him to the house he was looking for (His daughter lived a couple of streets over and he had driven up for a visit), and that ended that.
    That's a nice happy ending.

My only concern, though, is whether the man was so elderly that he really should not have been driving at all. Did he seem really together enough to be driving a vehicle? I mean, 23 passes?! That begins to sound a little like senility. That and a 4000 lb. vehicle do not mix.

Pj, it was about 30 seconds to a minute, I don't remember exactly but it seemed kinda long while it was happening. The fact that another person was planning the same course of action, although a stranger, did weigh in on my actions, although they could have been the same without him there. Sometimes when you are used to a less urban enviroment, you don't quite understand that things aren't how they are back home. I dunno, Ma raised me not to hit girls, or tolerate people who do. Today in all honesty even though it may not be the wisest thing I would probably again intervene. It would of been nice to of known how it all turned out, but the police told me and the other guy that we weren't needed for the report after they got everything straight, so I don't even know her name, or what happened to the scumbag.

As far as underreporting in general, compare the FBI's UCR data and NCVS data, and you will see that many crimes are extremely under-reported.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I actually thought at least one person would critique or say 'yea you were wrong' LOL. I should feel better, but part of me still wonders what if.

I'm not a super spiritual person, but I do remember lessons such as if you give it shall be given to you. The law of repriocity(sp) and so on. I shared more in detail on the ever been a victim thread. If either of those two people saw me, I now know how they feel, and if I'm ever faced in a situation like that again, my approach may be more proative next time.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    That's a nice happy ending.

My only concern, though, is whether the man was so elderly that he really should not have been driving at all. Did he seem really together enough to be driving a vehicle? I mean, 23 passes?! That begins to sound a little like senility. That and a 4000 lb. vehicle do not mix.
    My neighbor and I actually spoke to his daughter about that very concern. He was not supposed to be driving. He hadn't had a drivers permit in over 5 years. The story as it was told to me by his daughter, was that his second wife had just died a few weeks earlier, and that sort of put him over the edge of reason. He hopped in his wifes car, took the three hour drive, and she was going to be putting him in a home for his own safety. I didn't really know the daughter very well, since she was a couple of streets over, but I never saw the old man's car again, so I'm assuming she had it taken care of.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

you don't know what was really going on only what you saw which was only part of it. Call if you want or don't call you have no requirement to act. I call if kids are invovled.

This Is a Crazy World...

I would never get involved in a 'domestic'...even for cops, it's a always a potentially dangerous situation. My phone is the closest I'll come to giving assistance...I'm NOT a cop.

There are so many situations that may not BE what they 'appear' to be...I would not want to bring upon myself a lawsuit for just being a 'good guy', and it can easily happen.

I don't want to sound like I don't care, but how many times has someone involved themselves in a 'lover's quarrel' only to have the two 'fighters' turn on the 'life guard'?

I have a CCW to protect me and mine...and as cruel as it may sound, I'm not sticking my nose into ANYONE"S problems unless they are family, or well-known to me personally. I will, however, gladly call 911.

Have I ever witnessed a crime?...yep...did I call the cops?...not always!

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links