Ever witness a crime that you didn't report?

This is a discussion on Ever witness a crime that you didn't report? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am ashamed to admit, that in the past ten yrs I witnessed two horrific events . One) A man put gun to another guys ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever witness a crime that you didn't report?

I am ashamed to admit, that in the past ten yrs I witnessed two horrific events . One) A man put gun to another guys head and one possible beating, a man and a woman. I won't go into details, because I realize I will be further opening myself up for criticism. One incident I was too afraid to do anything, didn't have access to a phone, and it was during my pre-gun days. The other incident I never heard the gun go off, so figured things settled themselves down a bit. Fast forward all these yrs, and I am now in a place where I could use some help, and didn't get any. I can't help but wonder if it's karma.

Sorry meant to say possible kidnapping, but I figured it may just be a lovers quarrel, and wasn't sure, hence my apprehension.

No worries. Things happen for a reason. If you reported it, they may have not done anything about it. I'll provide two examples:

1.) Driving to my inlaws on Thanksgiving and saw extremely drunk guy on road. Called 911 and they said that it was "out of their jurisdiction" and they couldn't do anything about it. They then hung up the phone.

2.) Called 911 when someone was shooting a gun in my back yard. Nobody came. Called back. Nobody came.

You are on your own. Don't worry about others. Chances are that the only thing the Police will/would do/done is fill out a form and take body measurements for the coroner. They aren't/can't be there to save the day like Superman and by the time you call and they respond whatever is happening is long done.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Lead Moderator
    I think having the responsibility of carrying, we are now more inclined to report incidents. I have witnessed a few minor incidents that I didn't report.
    Just remember, stay safe, do not intervene unless you feel you absolutely have too. Domestics and other quarrels can easily have all the players turn on you.
    No one is perfect, we all to the best we can in life.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Do what is morally right if at all you possibly can....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Working at bars I have never called the police about a fight. We usually just get them off of our property and once that is done it is out of our hands. On gamedays there are police everywhere around our bar though, so if they continue once they are off our property the police usually see it and handle it.

One time when I was young(er, 19) and stupid I was walking home from a friends house late on a Saturday night (I was sober, but walking alone off campus, once again, not smart.) I hear screaming coming from an alleyway and headed towards it, as did another college aged who lived in one of the buildings guy who heard the yells. Some drunk guy was beating up on a girl in the alley, and both of us being young and stupid decided to stop him, there was a little bit of a scrap that insued. Somebody else thankfully had done the smart thing and called the police about the noise in the dark alley. We were all questioned seperately about what happened, the guy beating the girl was in handcuffs last I saw, the girl being taken to the hospital, and we were both told to go home. Never heard anything else about it, although I realize now how stupid it was.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I think having the responsibility of carrying, we are now more inclined to report incidents. I have witnessed a few minor incidents that I didn't report.
    Just remember, stay safe, do not intervene unless you feel you absolutely have too. Domestics and other quarrels can easily have all the players turn on you.
    No one is perfect, we all to the best we can in life.
    I don't know if anyone remembers this,but a couple yrs ago they thought there was a kidnapping caught on tape in front of an apartment complex(he threw her down the steps, then carried her off) turned out to be the husband. What I saw was similar, but by looking at the dynamics I got the vibe that they KNEW one another. Still, I second guess myself.

I would have to guess that a lot of us see things that are technically "Illegal" activeties that we don't ever report. The guy blazing past me on the freeway at 90MPH is technically illegal, but I never call the cops about it.

I have only called the local police twice. Once for a neighbor that would not turn down the music at their party. It was 4am, and it kept waking my kids up. The cops did show up and the party quietly ended. The neighber came over the next day to apologize and we never had any problems after that.

The other time was a few years ago when a car kept circling our neighborhood. It was late (don't remember the exact time), but after I saw this car at least a dozen times in a short span, I called the police and asked them to check it out when they had the time. Well, something must have come up that demanded their attention, because two hours, and 23 passes later, the police still hadn't shown up, so another neighbor, who had called me to ask if I had noticed the car, and I went out to confront him. Maybe not the wisest thing to do, but here in Northern Michigan we just don't have the same problems faced in other areas so we really didn't think anything of it (I think I would handle it different these days). The car stopped when it got near, and it turned out to be a really old man who was lost and very confused. I ended up driving him to the house he was looking for (His daughter lived a couple of streets over and he had driven up for a visit), and that ended that.

Those are the only times I've called the police, and I'm not sure either one passes the muster of being a "Crime" but I thought I would share.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

VIP Member
    When I was in college, I witnessed a domestic dispute that was going on right beside my parked vehicle. The couple cursed loudly at each other and the man "lightly" put his hand around her throat to "assert his authority." I had my hand on my cellphone, but I didn't call the cops. If they started beating on each other, I would've. I also considered how else I should get involved if I had to. In the end, I'm glad I didn't get involved, because it turned out the woman in the incident was a friend of a classmate and I learned the couple always fought each other - he would start hitting or she would start hitting. They were perfect for each other. The woman would have turned on me if I intervened, and would have defended her man if the cops came.

I've called in dangerous drivers before, the most recent being a guy speeding on the interstate and passing everybody on the shoulder. I gave the cops the plate number, and I'll never know what came out of it.

And we've got such lovely neighbors in one of the townhomes, who are turning our very nice, quiet neighborhood into a slum by screamingand cursing loudly at each other, fistfighting, and chasing each other around the lot with knives. Half the community, including us, has called the cops on them so many times I've lost track. We're trying to get them booted from our neighborhood.

We all look back with the coulda, shoulda, woulda, but all you can do is look at now and the future, and how we are going to handle that. If your inaction then was not out of malice, it's not karma when trouble visits you now. Trouble visits good people all the time. You were either unable to help, or too struck with fear. That's human and can happen to the best of us. The incidents mattered to you. There's people out there who do nothing because they just don't care. All you can do is live and learn and be better prepared next time.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Betty, you said it much more eloquently than I ever could.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    None of us has been given a guidebook by a supreme being, and since we are not perfect, none of us can be criticized for not knowing the perfect thing to do in any given situation. We do the best we know how at the moment we have to do it.

Sure, it's possible that those people could have used your help, or benefited from you summoning the police. And then again, maybe even if you had done either of those things, there would have been no gain from them. (Police get there too late, etc.) You should not second-guess yourself. And I do not believe that there is a sentient force that decided that since you didn't help them, you would not receive help. That's just random coincidence. Not preordainment or "karma."

The important thing is that we LEARN from our experiences, and hopefully with each new learning, we become BETTER for it, and continue to build on that day after day in our lives. Next time, I'm sure you are resolved, you will help someone in need. Your past experiences are what have brought you here to the point of understanding what you would like to do when it's your turn to help.

Administrator

ms.k

You said:
    "I can't help but wonder if it's karma."

Please do yourself a huge "life favor" and don't think that.

You are being unfair to you.

Good people do not get punished because they happen to be unarmed and are unable or ill-equipped to prevent a possible past deadly or dangerous altercation.

While we would all sometimes love to think that "Whatever Goes Around...Comes Around." ~ it's really not a natural law that's applicable to good people & has no real basis in reality save for the Law Of Averages.

You did not do anything to catch blame for.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I plead the Fifth.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Last year I interviewed an inactive soldier to try and convince him to join a Reserve unit. At the end of it, another guy shows up and hands my soldier a wad of cash in exchange for a ziplock bag with about a half dozen individually wrapped red-brownish objects.

It didn't register with me until well after the fact. Perhaps I'm too naive.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    One time when I was young(er, 19) and stupid I was walking home from a friends house late on a Saturday night (I was sober, but walking alone off campus, once again, not smart.) I hear screaming coming from an alleyway and headed towards it, as did another college aged who lived in one of the buildings guy who heard the yells. Some drunk guy was beating up on a girl in the alley, and both of us being young and stupid decided to stop him, there was a little bit of a scrap that insued. Somebody else thankfully had done the smart thing and called the police about the noise in the dark alley. We were all questioned seperately about what happened, the guy beating the girl was in handcuffs last I saw, the girl being taken to the hospital, and we were both told to go home. Never heard anything else about it, although I realize now how stupid it was.
    I don't think you were stupid at all. Sure, you may have rushed in without thinking of the possible ramifications.

But suppose you hadn't. The girl would have been there, being beaten on until the cops arrived. How much time elapsed between when you separated him and her, and when the cops finally did get there? 30 seconds? 3 minutes? 7 minutes? 20? Enough time that he could have cracked her skull on the pavement? Stabbed her seven or eight times?

You weren't stupid. You were possibly even heroic. I wonder what she would say about your actions, if she could tell you today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links