Hotel Room - Where's the backstop?

This is a discussion on Hotel Room - Where's the backstop? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just got home from a few days in a hotel room on the 10th floor. On all three sides of me, above and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Hotel Room - Where's the backstop?

So I just got home from a few days in a hotel room on the 10th floor. On all three sides of me, above and below were other occupied rooms. The 4th side is a large window with another building full of hotel rooms across the road, around 70 meters away.

I found myself wondering if I needed to use a pistol for self defense in that room and I had the luxury of choice, what direction I would want to fire in. Still don't have a good answer, the 70 meters distance across the road doesn't seem so great when there are only 2 sheets of glass (my room and theirs) to deflect a bullet.

Figured I'd post on DC and see what thoughts other with more experience have that we could learn from. Thanks all!

So, without a backstop and the potential for people being in some of the neighboring rooms, would taking it in the shorts be preferable? (Rhetorical question for each of us to determine.)

I'd say, deal with the threat as judiciously and effectively as you're able to at the time. As you enter such rooms, consider the ramifications of a break-in and being forced to deal with it. In most hotel rooms there simply isn't much space at all. Not a lot of choices. You either stop your assailant(s) or you get taken down.

While it's commonly said that every bullet comes with a lawyer attached, it's also true that the use-of-force statutes and laws regarding choice of evils apply to us at all times. Nothing lawfully states you must face death stoically simply because you imagine there might be someone through a couple of walls. We each need to determine what we're prepared to do, to survive. YMMV, depending.

Myself, I'll do what I need to do. As I come to any new hotel room, I review the layout and think through ramifications from different angles. But in the end there aren't many choices. I'll deal with the situation as it comes, and I'll deal with it as effectively as I'm able. But that's just me.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 30th, 2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: clarity
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

aim small miss small.... I am still taking the shot regardless. I may allow them to come closer than normal, but I would still fire. While there is a chance of a bullet going through into another room, it would still have to go through two walls. Also, keep in mind that fire code for a hotel is very different from a house, and requires them to use more materials in the walls of various types, and all of that stuff will help slow a bullet down. In the end, while it is a serious concern and a valid one, the odds of striking an innocent person in such a situation are not really that high. A crowded shopping center, restraunt etc.... yes. On the 10th floor of a hotel... not so much. I am not saying its not possible or it should not be considered, but the low likely hood would not deter me.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So, without a backstop and the potential of people in some of the neighboring rooms, would taking it in the shorts be preferable? (Rhetorical question for each of us to determine.)

I'd say, deal with the threat as judiciously and effectively as you're able to at the time. As you enter such rooms, consider the ramifications of a break-in and being forced to deal with it. In most hotel rooms there simply isn't much space at all. Not a lot of choices. You either stop your assailant(s) or you get taken down.

While it's commonly said that every bullet comes with a lawyer attached, it's also true that the use-of-force statutes and laws regarding choice of evils apply to us at all times. Nothing lawfully states you must face death stoically simply because you imagine there might be someone through a couple of walls. We each need to determine what we're prepared to do, to survive. YMMV, depending.

Myself, I'll do what I need to do. As I come to any new hotel room, I review the layout and think through ramifications from different angles. But in the end there aren't many choices. I'll deal with the situation as it comes, and I'll deal with it as effectively as I'm able. But that's just me.

I don't think I can say it any better than that.

If conflict comes your way, fight the fight and deal with the fallout after.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

The floors and ceilings are concrete,the walls are steel studs and 1/2" sheet rock on each side so your backstop will be the BG
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    [sarcasm] when nothing but a .25 will do [/sarcasm]

Interesting issue. I don't think I've seen it brought up in the 6-7 years I've been a regular reader here.

My guess is that someone who forces or otherwise enters a hotel/motel room will be between you and the door. If the door is open perhaps
    you'll also see if someone is outside passing by. If it is closed and it is you and BG in the room, well, hopefully the door is steel.

I think Duke is right about the walls and ceilings being concrete, but 1 inch of wall board won't do much.

This could be one of the few situations where frangible would be useful.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

My backstop is an umbrella liability insurance policy for $1,000,000. This is used after my $500,000 policy has been exhausted. The coverage is $250 a year and covers ANYTHING that you are not found criminaly liabile for. Wearever, whenever the lives of my family are myself are in danger I will act with force. I wont let the off chance of a stray bullet slow my response. That said I have thought about the ramifications hence the umbrella policy.
    fredg53 likes this.

VIP Member
    Makes me happy that I don't travel or stay in hotels anymore!

When I did, I always hoped that I could get my gun aimed and do some very effective shooting before anyone got very far into the room. If most people are like me, they don't sleep very soundly when away from home anyway. As someone else said, hotel rooms are not very large so we're talking pretty close range shooting here. Oh yeah - and if I was sharing a room with someone, like at a conference, I tried to get the bed closest to the door. That way you're not potentially "shooting through" your roommate.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

The person you have to shot. Good JHPs only.
    WHEC724 and RETSUPT99 like this.

I had some of the same thoughts while traveling recently. Here's what I came up with.

First, most floors/ceilings are concrete, not much of an issue. Next, on the back of most doors to the room is a fire escape map with a layout of the rooms. This makes it easy to determine where the bed, bathroom, desk etc. in the surrounding rooms are located. Now also consider that aside from housekeeping, most hotel rooms are empty during the day. Likewise, most are occupied by people sleeping in the overnight hours.

The example of the intruder coming through the doorway is maybe a best case scenario. How often do you find yourself standing directly in line with the doorway? Most rooms the closet and tv are directly in front of you when you walk in the room. This means the chances of someone being directly behind the door across the hallway from you are very slim.

As is always recommended, having a good understanding of your surroundings is one of your best tools for protecting yourself. There are many little details in hotels, which are usually a pattern of rooms side by side, that can make it much easier to prepare. Not to mention give you some piece of mind should things turn south during your visit.

YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I'm guessing whatever soundproofing they use in the walls will help some, especially with JHPs.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.

Hotels for the most part are pretty safe. I travel a lot and carry this Veritas® Traveller's Doorstop - Lee Valley Tools all the time. S.A. is the trick to staying safe in a hotel. Make sure you are not followed always leave the DND sign up...clean your own stuff up and get clean towels from the maids on your own. Clear scotch tape is your friend (yes I am paranoid). Once inside lock yourself in. If you need to use your firearm you should be at close enough range not to miss we hope. YMMV.
    Bersa380Fan and ccw9mm like this.

OK... I give up Where is it?

Try glasers

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Hopefully within a very deserving bad guy....
    Glock2201 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links