Good witness vs. minding your business.

This is a discussion on Good witness vs. minding your business. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I walked out of a local fast food place today, I heard two men having a heated argument across the lot from me. One ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Good witness vs. minding your business.

Good witness vs. minding your business.

As I walked out of a local fast food place today, I heard two men having a heated argument across the lot from me. One was sitting in the drivers seat of his truck while the other stood outside his window. It escalated to the point that the man reached into the truck after the other. The driver was able to pull away and left in a hurry. By this point I had made it to my own car, but kept an eye on the situation as I walked. I took note of the truck make, model, color, and likely model year. Also noted the description of the man standing.

Question is, should I have been more focused on getting out of the potential line of fire than collecting all those details? I crossed directly from the door to the other side of the lot so I could be close to other cars should I need to take cover. But I found myself more focused on the argument and the details than just getting to my car and getting out.

I know nothing really happened, but a situation like that could have easily resulted in bullets flying.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

You'll probably get a variety of answers. I think you did ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Iam in the mind your own business camp

VIP Member
    From here, it seems like you did just fine.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    People get into p-matches all the time. Take this forum for instance.

In real life, MYOB. Little yellin' and a little slappin' between a couple of hotheads is nothing that concerns me. Standing around staring at them is an invitation for a "What'er yer lookin' at?" inflamed imbecile inquiry.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Any landing you walk away from..............
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    People get into p-matches all the time. Take this forum for instance.
    Shut up and mind your own business!

You mean like that?
    warbirds, niks, StevePVB and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I would just leave. This was not a case where a young punk was threatening a little old lady. I run from stupid people engaging in their profession.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

aint your fight.***SELF DEFENSE,NOT OFFENSE.***
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Once I started carrying, getting involved meant any simple argument could turn into a deadly confrontation. Therefor unless I'm willing to die for one of the people involved, I lean toward being a good witness.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

Nobody here is qualified to give you a green light or get out of Dodge signal on what you did or didn't do on this ordeal. Minding your own business has led to a lot of unsolved deaths. Involvement has also related to some unexpected deaths. You're the only one in any situation...so it's your call. No need to ask after the fact what you should have done because it's over. The next time may never come, and whomever you might have saved from a bad ordeal might haunt you for the rest of your life. Those who are sticking to the 'mind your own business' camp are a bunch of sissies and shouldn't be carrying in the first place. Kind of like a surgeon carrying a bag on an airline disaster.
    Good witnesses are those left alive. You do your civic duty however you see fit I guarantee that nobody else will give a damn either way. That's pretty much America as a hole these days. Now I know some are just jumping at the chance to post on facebook or youtube. Just that we are actually sick as a society at this point. So let your own morals dictate what you might do in these situations because those whom you ask for advice may not even qualify as being stable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Nobody here is qualified to give you a green light or get out of Dodge signal on what you did or didn't do on this ordeal. Minding your own business has led to a lot of unsolved deaths. Involvement has also related to some unexpected deaths. You're the only one in any situation...so it's your call. No need to ask after the fact what you should have done because it's over. The next time may never come, and whomever you might have saved from a bad ordeal might haunt you for the rest of your life. Those who are sticking to the 'mind your own business' camp are a bunch of sissies and shouldn't be carrying in the first place. Kind of like a surgeon carrying a bag on an airline disaster.
    Good witnesses are those left alive. You do your civic duty however you see fit I guarantee that nobody else will give a damn either way. That's pretty much America as a hole these days. Now I know some are just jumping at the chance to post on facebook or youtube. Just that we are actually sick as a society at this point. So let your own morals dictate what you might do in these situations because those whom you ask for advice may not even qualify as being stable.
    I commend you one the proper use of the objective form of who.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Maybe just a "Lover's Spat" A domestic disturbance can turn south against others in a hurry. Just ask any LEO's. Watch, look and listen from a safe distance and record.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with making mental notes but your first thought should be to remain/get clear of zones of fire or involvement.
    Who knows, if one of them winds up dead your info. may be valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I commend you one the proper use of the objective form of who.
    Geez! Thanks I guess? It is what it is. I barely passed English in high school. I never want to come off as smart in any way, shape or form. That would be unacceptable to the masses and cast me in a different light which again might be unacceptable.
    I commend you for the commendation! No college education here. Just a hot English teacher when I was actually hooked on math.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links