Stalled Car - Would You Stop and Help or Move On?

This is a discussion on Stalled Car - Would You Stop and Help or Move On? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me last week. I was driving home from the other side of town and had to change highways. The connector ramp is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Stalled Car - Would You Stop and Help or Move On?

VIP Member

This happened to me last week. I was driving home from the other side of town and had to change highways. The connector ramp is a clover leaf and in about the middle of the curve, on the shoulder, there was an older GM car parked with its hood up. Where the car was parked, you did not have much time to see it before you were on it (although it was on the shoulder) - little reaction time. As I neared, a guy tried to flag me down. He was in his 40s I would guess and dressed in jeans and a light jacket appropriate for the weather. I started to slow, then I noted another guy roughly the same age and similarly attired on the other side of the car. He was not looking under the hood, but more trying to stay out of view. I continued on my way without ever slowing by more than 10 mph or so. The curve is a 35-40 mph curve.

Once I saw the second guy, my instinct told me to move on. The guy tried to flag down a few cars behind me, all of our cars were relatively late model and to my knowledge nobody stopped. Now, I have absolutely no knowledge of his actual intent, which may or may not have been nefarious. It just seemed iffy to me, especially in the age of the cell phone. I thought about calling it in and letting the cops sort it out, but in the end, did nothing.

What say y’all, was this the right call, am I a jerk for not helping my fellow citizen, other thoughts.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Moderator
    If my kids are with me no I wouldn't stop, otherwise I'd trust my spidey-senses
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The second guy crouching behind the car made the whole scene hinky to me.

I'd say you did right on not stopping to help. Probably should have called the cops tho as the stalled car clearly presented a hazard to other drivers.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    20 years ago stopping would be a normal thing, these days with the rise of the presciption pain killer epedemic going on, in many instances these days that would be a potential threat

Im with you. I go with my instincts, and they have served me well, just as I suspect yours served you well, too.

Many of us think in terms of being "accosted". Some incident where an obvious mugger, or attacker makes themselves known. By far the more clever, (and harder to resist), ploy is to make you want to come to them. Such as with the situation you described.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.

VIP Member
    The other guy trying to stay hidden puts up a big red flag for me also, I would call it in at the next exit since their position could be a traffic hazard.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    This happened to me last week. I was driving home from the other side of town and had to change highways. The connector ramp is a clover leaf and in about the middle of the curve, on the shoulder, there was an older GM car parked with its hood up. Where the car was parked, you did not have much time to see it before you were on it (although it was on the shoulder) - little reaction time. As I neared, a guy tried to flag me down. He was in his 40s I would guess and dressed in jeans and a light jacket appropriate for the weather. I started to slow, then I noted another guy roughly the same age and similarly attired on the other side of the car. He was not looking under the hood, but more trying to stay out of view. I continued on my way without ever slowing by more than 10 mph or so. The curve is a 35-40 mph curve.

Once I saw the second guy, my instinct told me to move on. The guy tried to flag down a few cars behind me, all of our cars were relatively late model and to my knowledge nobody stopped. Now, I have absolutely no knowledge of his actual intent, which may or may not have been nefarious. It just seemed iffy to me, especially in the age of the cell phone. I thought about calling it in and letting the cops sort it out, but in the end, did nothing.

What say y’all, was this the right call, am I a jerk for not helping my fellow citizen, other thoughts.
    It's called the "Gift of Fear" for a reason.*

Being as we've all just read the thread elsewhere on DC about being Alpha Males, we won't say "fear," of course... Just good ol' common sense. If your instincts told you "don't stop," you did the right thing. Period.

*The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. Just $7 at AMAZON

I'm not a book salesman... but it's a good book. And, if you haven't read it, for $7 you can't go wrong. If you have read it, maybe you know someone else who could stand to read it... Pass it on.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Depends on who is stranded?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    We just had a few "damsel in distress" robberies in the area lately. Girl flags down car, guy gets out to help and her friend jumps out with a gun and robs the guy. No I would not stop.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I'd keep right on going because there is little I could do in the way of mechanical help on these modern cars. As another poster said everyone has a cell phone they can use to call for help.

Just yesterday I was returning home from Virginia and just south of Harrisburg, Pa, on Rt 15, I saw a car partially hidden in the tall weeds off the road. I didn't even slow down and I probably should have, it was a local cop. Cost me $160.

I'm with you, KS. The way things are these days, keep moving. That's what cell phones and road aid is for.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    At one time I would have, as a payback for those who had stopped for me. Nowadays, nearly everyone has a cell phone and can call for help. So unless I see someone in "dire" stress, I don't stop.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Depends on who is stranded?
    No chance. Read too many reports of people being lured in by a little old lady, only to have a second car pull up and do the robbing.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    At one time I would have, as a payback for those who had stopped for me. Nowadays, nearly everyone has a cell phone and can call for help. So unless I see someone in "dire" stress, I don't stop.
    This says it all for me. If the car is on fire or firewall deep in a ditch, I may assist.

VIP Member
    I agree - do not stop. Do call the police so they can send help. It is true that most people have cell phones now so it makes you wonder why the stranded people didn't call the police or AAA or whatever themselves. But perhaps they are among the few who don't have a cell phone. It is generally not safe to stop and find out.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links