Armed Robbery in a Subway Restaurant

This is a discussion on Armed Robbery in a Subway Restaurant within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got off the phone with my dad, and he said he and my step-mom were in a Subway either yesterday or the day ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Armed Robbery in a Subway Restaurant

I just got off the phone with my dad, and he said he and my step-mom were in a Subway either yesterday or the day before (I was too distracted by him telling me he was in the middle of a robbery to nail the date down) when it was robbed by two armed thugs. My dad and step-mom were just hanging out eating dinner before karate class when two thugs with bandanas around their faces busted in the back door of the Subway and began threatening everyone and demanding money. Dad said the only gun he saw appeared to be a semi-auto. He couldn't be sure of the make and model because he was trying to not make eye contact. I asked him if he or my step-mom was armed, and he said she was carrying in her purse. He left his at home because he doesn't take it to karate class. He doesn't plan on making that mistake again. My step-mom was facing the door so she ended up with her back to the thugs during the whole experience.

Dad said that even if he would have been armed, he would not have pulled unless they began firing. He said the three girls who worked there and a lady and her son were all positioned between my parents and the thugs. Apparently they did pepper spray all three workers and threatened to kill anyone who moved or tried to leave. Dad said it lasted about 3 minutes. They made out with a whopping $100. I tried to find a link to a news story, but I didn't find anything on the local news site. I will post if I find something.

First, I am very thankful everyone is safe and whole. Second, I am also thankful those two idiots did not think to rob the people in the store. I'm afraid that may have gone very badly with my step-mom and her purse.

I told my dad they did the right thing. That was an absolute no win situation. I also told him I didn't spend my hard earned money on a CBST for his birthday for it, and his Ruger, to be gathering dust in a drawer. We also talked about purse carry. I will have a similar conversation with my step-mom soon.

Would you have acted differently? What if they went for the purse? What are your thoughts?

P.S. This happened in a small Texas town about half an hour from DFW. Very little crime here. Anywhere...Anytime

MJK
    Your father and stepmother walked away unharmed so their response worked in this instance. It's all about surviving.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

During an armed robbery, I would have sidearm ready to fire in a second, but would not fire first if me or a loved one were not the prime target.
    Your step-mother did well to not shoot the perp under the conditions you state.
    Pepper-spraying the employees was a fair indication they did not want to shoot anyone.

Good on Mom, shame on dad for his poor decision. Doubt he will decide to leave his sidearm home again. Murphy's Law is 'everywhere'.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

First and foremost, we're glad your parents are safe. Not everyone is fortunate to have such a 'wake up call'...some end up needing a 'coroner call'. It sounds like your dad has learned a valuable lesson about always being armed.

I wasn't there, so I don't really know my actions is such a situation. I do know that when someone is being pepper sprayed, a weapon in a robbery has just been used.

IF, and that's a big if...with backs to the customers, or eyes taken off of the customers may have provided the opportunity to end some careers. Had the dirtbags been disappointed with their take and now viewed the customers as fair game, your step-mom's gun could have easily been used against her (I discouraged my wife from purse carry).

I'd recommend getting your parents going to a range for some self-defense practice.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So glad that your parent is okay and yes it was a hard call and it could have gone another way in situation like it's hard to say what anybody would do but it came out okay. Thanks for sharing for situation like this is worth going over in our heads always, be safe. To bad for your dad for not carrying but looking back on it now could he have done anything.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

VIP Member
    I'm glad your dad and step-mom are ok. This Subway robbery happened in September and a customer was murdered:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...ry-4835805.php

Sent from whichever side of my brain comes up with these things.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Robbery, armed or otherwise is very traumatizing for the victims. Your parents are definitely victims. The only thing I would have done differently would be to let dad de-brief without offering up comments.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Unarmed?I thought Karate turned the average man into a fine tuned well oiled,High Pitched screaming, Coiled Muscle, Air Chopping, Death Dealing,Ninja
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ex Member
    I was having lunch in a Burger King, 96th and Keystone in Indy, with a Tech a few years. He had his back to the counter I had mine to the wall. Guy comes in and I can see he is robbing the place. I tell the Tech what is going on and to just sit there. The &$@#**& idiot says "I'LL START THROWING CHAIRS AT HIM." I tell him that if he even thinks about it I would shoot him BEFORE the robber. Guy was quiet, took the cash and left. The fact that the robber pulled it with 10-15 people in the restaurant told me he had to be real stoned or real stupid.
    In either case I was not about to execute him for a few hundred bucks and NO violence. I had my S&W 60 on my lap but thank goodness I didn't have to use it.
    DoctorBob and NONAME762 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Your parents were not harmed, the BGs took nothing from them. No action required on their part. Couldn't have been any better outcome for them.
    Pro and DoctorBob like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvito View Post
    I just got off the phone with my dad, and he said he and my step-mom were in a Subway either yesterday or the day before (I was too distracted by him telling me he was in the middle of a robbery to nail the date down) when it was robbed by two armed thugs. My dad and step-mom were just hanging out eating dinner before karate class when two thugs with bandanas around their faces busted in the back door of the Subway and began threatening everyone and demanding money. Dad said the only gun he saw appeared to be a semi-auto. He couldn't be sure of the make and model because he was trying to not make eye contact. I asked him if he or my step-mom was armed, and he said she was carrying in her purse. He left his at home because he doesn't take it to karate class. He doesn't plan on making that mistake again. My step-mom was facing the door so she ended up with her back to the thugs during the whole experience.

Dad said that even if he would have been armed, he would not have pulled unless they began firing. He said the three girls who worked there and a lady and her son were all positioned between my parents and the thugs. Apparently they did pepper spray all three workers and threatened to kill anyone who moved or tried to leave. Dad said it lasted about 3 minutes. They made out with a whopping $100. I tried to find a link to a news story, but I didn't find anything on the local news site. I will post if I find something.

First, I am very thankful everyone is safe and whole. Second, I am also thankful those two idiots did not think to rob the people in the store. I'm afraid that may have gone very badly with my step-mom and her purse.

I told my dad they did the right thing. That was an absolute no win situation. I also told him I didn't spend my hard earned money on a CBST for his birthday for it, and his Ruger, to be gathering dust in a drawer. We also talked about purse carry. I will have a similar conversation with my step-mom soon.

Would you have acted differently? What if they went for the purse? What are your thoughts?

P.S. This happened in a small Texas town about half an hour from DFW. Very little crime here. Anywhere...Anytime
    First off I am very glad that nothing happened to your parents. That is the win.

Re: The bold

Your statement bothers me a bit. First you tell your dad its a no win situation, then ask why his gun is collecting dust. I think a choice needs to be made here. These are the types of situations why most people carry a gun. If like you said, its a no win situation, then the need for the gun no longer is necessary.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Calvito View Post
    I told my dad they did the right thing.
    Glad your parents were unharmed and yes, I believe they did the right thing. That said NO ONE CAN SAY WHAT THEY WOULD DO THAT WASN'T THERE!!! With a gun pointed at you you are NOT gonna pull your own weapon and use it. You'll be shot soon as you start to draw. HIS GUN IS ALREADY DRAWN!!! If you are concealed somewhere and can safely get a shot off, your decision. If no shooting is going on, the thieves are taking the cash drawer and leaving the customers alone, I think I'd pretty much freeze and try to NOT call attention to myself. If the BG's are now coming for the customers, it's a situational choice according to what's going on and can be made by someone who is present to weigh the facts and situation.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Glad Mom and Dad are ok. Not much to be done with Moms gun in the purse Dad unarmed and folks between them and the robbers.

Wasnt there so no advise except get Dad armed and Moms gun out of her purse, and only that comment on what was posted.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    Glad your parents were unharmed and yes, I believe they did the right thing. That said NO ONE CAN SAY WHAT THEY WOULD DO THAT WASN'T THERE!!! With a gun pointed at you you are NOT gonna pull your own weapon and use it. You'll be shot soon as you start to draw. HIS GUN IS ALREADY DRAWN!!! If you are concealed somewhere and can safely get a shot off, your decision. If no shooting is going on, the thieves are taking the cash drawer and leaving the customers alone, I think I'd pretty much freeze and try to NOT call attention to myself. If the BG's are now coming for the customers, it's a situational choice according to what's going on and can be made by someone who is present to weigh the facts and situation.
    In bold. If a gun is pointed at me in that situation I waited way way to long to act. But forced to I will and have drawn against the drop and no I didnt get shot. Idiot dropped his shotgun as quick as he saw my pistol coming out so he didnt get shot either. Risky as heck yeah. But I will not put my fate in the kindness of someone pointing a gun at me. Just me, not trying to get anyone else to do what I do. Just sort of clarifying there are those of us that WILL draw against a drawn gun.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Thanks for the warm words everyone. Like I said, I am very thankful they were unharmed.

I hear you Mike. I guess I was trying to reinforce the carry everywhere mentality. I probably could have done a better job of listening and not talking.

Harryball, thanks for the comments. I do believe they did the right thing given the situation (with the exception of Dad being unarmed). I probably should have said it was a very difficult situation to be in as opposed to a no win. Even if Dad was armed (and my step-mom was), that particular situation would be an undesirable one to be in. Given their position, with regard to the thugs, workers and other patrons, they were at a serious disadvantage. I guess what I meant by no win was: sit there and watch an armed robbery or pull and engage in a gun fight in a Subway under very undesirable conditions. Neither option seems like a win to me. Either way, I would prefer that they both be armed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links