carjacking-what to do?

This is a discussion on carjacking-what to do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ms.k I've heard about that. I think that's what happened to that one family who was murdered a few months back. Two ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carjacking-what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by ms.k View Post
    I've heard about that. I think that's what happened to that one family who was murdered a few months back. Two small children and the parents. Sad.
    what's the story with that? I didn't hear about that
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

2. Remove Ads

I too have thought about the carjacking scenario.

While you can never fully define the perfect plan of response, you can prepare yourself. The following items are key:

1) Training and Practice
    2) Situational Awareness
    3) Opportunity Recognition
    4) Patience

Training and Practice are necessary to hone your skills. Only through repetition can you become proficient. Practice drawing your weapon while seated in your car. Add some variety, pretend you're grabbed and have to use your weak hand, draw while opening the door, etc.

Becoming situationally aware is necessary to recognize a bad situation before it happens, but is also required during a situation. Practicing this awareness will help you to see things you had not noticed before. You'll have to focus on this awareness at first, but it will soon become second nature. For example, as you approach your vehicle every morning, take note of people around, other cars and how they are parked, what would be good escape routes, and where would be choke points.

Once in the middle of a situation, opportunity becomes an important factor. You must recognize the opportunity when it arises. Stay alert and focused. Your situational awareness during the situation will help you to identify the opportunity. Where is his gun? Where is his trigger finger? What is around you? Where do roads lead? How close is the nearest police station? Can you reach your cell phone (I have 911 speed-dialed to 9)? Information is key to good judgment.

Patience to wait for the opportunity is also necessary. Remain as calm as possible and be patient for the opportunity. If you rush into action before you understand the situation fully, someone could get hurt as a result of your haste. Imagine stepping on the gas pedal in order to throw the bad guy off not realizing his finger was on the trigger and the hammer was back.

Patience is about control. You are always in control of your actions, regardless of whether someone has a gun on you or not. You can choose to comply or not. Yes, not complying may result in serious injury or death, but it is still your decision. Don't get fooled into thinking you don't have a choice.

These are just my thoughts. I've never been in a carjacking nor have I played a carjack victim on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by mbj0186 View Post
    what's the story with that? I didn't hear about that
    I can't remember where it happened, but the family had moved to a 'safer' neighborhood..were traveling, and it appeared that they had been hijacked. They were found shot to death on an underpass,and their car was stolen but later found. The woman was found clutching her children. It was a heart wrenching story. It was a hispanic family. I'm sure others here heard about it.

Alternative approach to the scenerio ...
    The Art of Deception can be of great use in a self defense situation.
    Faked heart attack, Stumble , Panic etc.. while drawing your gun.
    Its an old self defense approach, make the enemy think your weak when your strong.
    You only have milli-seconds to decide what your are going to do..
    and just hope you decide correctly.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Being Alert Is The Key...

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    No one has thought of the obvious?:

ALWAYS KEEP ALL THE DOORS OF YOUR CAR LOCKED (and if possible, keep the windows fully rolled up).

I use a checklist every time I get into my car:
    "DeCiBeL"
    D: DOORS -- lock them immediately upon sitting down in the car.
    C: CAR -- start it and get it ready to move.
    B: BELTS -- put on safety belts. (Not before starting car, since you can drive without belts on, but you can have belts on first and if the car's not running, you're just sitting there belted.)
    L: LIGHTS -- don't put them on until moments before you're ready to go. In a dark parking lot, why draw attention to the fact that you're sitting still in your car until you are ready to put it into gear and leave?
    I'll go with 'peaceful...' on this! I am probably 'paranoid careful'...but isn't that what it takes?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Patience to wait for the opportunity is also necessary.

I agree that patience is probably the most important factor is such a situation. I think trying to be as relaxed as possible would help with attaining that.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

First rule, lock your doors, Second, keep enough space b/t you and the car up front to see there back tires. Third, remember your car is a weapon, drive it.... They even try I am flooring. They get in...I am flooring it. Nuff said....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I've started locking my car doors as soon as I possibly can when entering my car. It has become habit already and it adds another safety layer I think.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

If they get in the car and I am alone - I try to talk to them into taking the car and phone and having fun - no car is worth my life. Heaven forbid they get in the car with my son / wife in the car - then I do the same, just making sure my family is part of the equation - telling them something like, "Car jacking is one thing, but murder is another - you can have the car..." - after that, it is patience until I can create an opportunity or take advantage of one given to me.
    I like the idea of carrying at 3 oclock - will be moving from 430 to there. Also, I use this holster at times to carry my gun in the car - great idea if you ask me.
    Good luck.
    Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    No one has thought of the obvious?:

ALWAYS KEEP ALL THE DOORS OF YOUR CAR LOCKED (and if possible, keep the windows fully rolled up).

I use a checklist every time I get into my car:
    "DeCiBeL"
    D: DOORS -- lock them immediately upon sitting down in the car.
    C: CAR -- start it and get it ready to move.
    B: BELTS -- put on safety belts. (Not before starting car, since you can drive without belts on, but you can have belts on first and if the car's not running, you're just sitting there belted.)
    L: LIGHTS -- don't put them on until moments before you're ready to go. In a dark parking lot, why draw attention to the fact that you're sitting still in your car until you are ready to put it into gear and leave?
    DeCiBeL... That's pretty clever. I like that :)
    I didn't think about the lights, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mbj0186 View Post
    I thought about how difficult of a situation it would be if someone caught you off gaurd ...
    What works for me:
    • Don't drive around with the doors unlocked, which is merely an invitation.
    • Don't drive around with the windows down, which is an invitation with advertising.
    • Don't tailgate, particularly at places where you're going to stop, 'cause that removes your one great weapon (mobility).
    • Remove the head from the fog when coming to a stop and begin actively scanning the area for risk, as that's the time when the risk level goes up for this sort of thing.
    • If you're traveling with a partner, have the partner appreciate the risk and be an active scanner as well.
    • If you're frequently caught driving/carrying, develop a carry method that works well in the car.
    • Be prepared to actually use that one best weapon (mobility), by leaving the car in gear and ready to move, with plenty of space around you in case it's necessary to move now.
    • Cars break down, occasionally. What would you do if it broke down right there, in that neighborhood? Don't want that? Don't drive there, or improve your means of travel. There aren't many other options, with this part of the problem.
    • Jackals are on the watch for "tourists" or others giving off signals that they're running around with their heads in a fog. Don't do that. Don't constantly look around, as if out of your element; know where you're going and know how to get there, since with mapquest and other tools it's darned near impossible to get lost anymore; don't constantly refer to a map or printed instructions.

In short: Know where you're going and what you're doing; stay attentive; stay moving; be prepared, 'cause it could happen to you. (And it has happened to me. Twice. Both times, thwarted due to the above preparations.)

Now, that doesn't cover everything, but it's a very simple list of steps and precautions. It quickly becomes a part of your S.O.P. It's not hard to maintain and to always do. Of course, a BG with a gun could simply come out shooting, take out the window, and make demands ... at which point, you either submit or hit the gas. Pick one.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 15th, 2006 at 09:48 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

All of the above points and : 1)turn the damn radio off when you park, and leave it off or down until you are on the main thoroughfare. Don't uplug your brain by jacking crap into your ears- they are part of your defense system. 2)ignore your cell until you are secured in your vehicle.

The carjack is another reason to carry a second pistol as well(weakside-draw/crossdraw to the weak hand)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links