carjacking-what to do?

carjacking-what to do?

This is a discussion on carjacking-what to do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me and my girlfriend were talking the other day about people getting hi-jacked while in their car at a stop light, in a parking lot, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carjacking-what to do?

carjacking-what to do?

Me and my girlfriend were talking the other day about people getting hi-jacked while in their car at a stop light, in a parking lot, etc. I thought about how difficult of a situation it would be if someone caught you off gaurd and jumped in the passenger seat, while you were alone, or jumped in the back seat and was threatening you or your wife/GF/kids with a gun or knife.

I was thinking how it would be really hard to defend yourself or even draw your CCW in such a situation. I mean if he/she is quick enough, as I'm sure any criminal who would do this would have practice, there's no way that you could draw before he had his gun pointing at you or had a knife to your significant other from the back seat, and even you you could draw you risk getting shot, stabbed, or having your own gun taken from you in such close quarters (there's not much room between driver and passenger seats). You also risk him/her doing it anyway if they don't get what they want or even after they get what they want (most likely money or a ride for fleeing purposes)

It would be a very, very akward position and I can't come up with how I would address that situation if it ever did happen, which I'm sure it happens all the time.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    My first rule is never , ever surrender your weapon......
    Aside from that, youd have to play it by ear....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    The primary defense to this as well as just about every other situation is: DON'T GET CAUGHT WITH YOUR PANTS DOWN.

Seriously, I'm sure the first thing that any (reputable) self defense expert will tell you is, keep your head on a swivel and be prepared. In this case that means be aware of people standing on the sidewalk, corners etc. and keep your doors locked.

Massad Ayoob covered just such a situation on this weeks Personal Defense TV on Outdoor Network. IIRC, he said out of 130 attendees at that course, all but 15 or 20 were declared dead. It all goes to situational awareness, or never be condition white if you can help it. Most those guys were "killed" because the BG was already in the car hidden in the back seat.

If that stills lets you down and you find yourself literally sitting in that situation, I honestly don't know what to do either. There's a vid on YouTube about a very similar situation that happened to a guy at a self serve car wash. The short version of that was the guy had no recourse but to comply till the BG got distracted enough that he could get to his own weapon and end the situation.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    No one has thought of the obvious?:

ALWAYS KEEP ALL THE DOORS OF YOUR CAR LOCKED (and if possible, keep the windows fully rolled up).

I use a checklist every time I get into my car:
    "DeCiBeL"
    D: DOORS -- lock them immediately upon sitting down in the car.
    C: CAR -- start it and get it ready to move.
    B: BELTS -- put on safety belts. (Not before starting car, since you can drive without belts on, but you can have belts on first and if the car's not running, you're just sitting there belted.)
    L: LIGHTS -- don't put them on until moments before you're ready to go. In a dark parking lot, why draw attention to the fact that you're sitting still in your car until you are ready to put it into gear and leave?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    ALWAYS KEEP ALL THE DOORS OF YOUR CAR LOCKED (and if possible, keep the windows fully rolled up).
    +1

As long as you're not totally pinned in by other vehicles, the best tool if someone's trying to force their way into your vehicle is the accelerator pedal. Run the light, drive across the median or up on the curb, whatever it takes to get the hell out of there!

If the BG is in the car, it gets a lot more dicey. I'm a right hand shooter and I keep my weapon on my right hip, so it would be hard to draw and fire on someone in the passenger seat. Lefties seem to have it a bit easier (maybe I should start driving an import from the U.K.).

Peacefuljeffrey hit most of the points I usually try to incorporate into my everyday habits, but there are a couple I'd like to add to his list.

Always leave a buffer distance between you and the car in front of you. My rule of thumb is to make sure I can see where the back tires on the car in front of me meet the pavement, plus a little. This will give you a little maneuvering room, in case you need to hit the throttle in order to throw a carjacker off balance. I started doing this after my brother-in-law was the victim of an attempted carjacking and hadn't left any maneuvering room. Luckily he had a sidearm and time to deploy it. After the incident, the police officer who came to the scene suggested he do this.

My normal carry mode is IWB holster at 3:00 with an open over shirt, vest, or jacket.

The first thing I do after fastening my seatbelt is un-tuck my concealment garment from under the seatbelt so I can easily reach my sidearm. This mode of carry works pretty well for drawing while seated in a car (yes, I'm right handed, and it does work from the drivers seat).

This is one of the reasons I don't carry my sidearm any further back than 3:00. If I did, I wouldn't be able to draw my gun at all quickly when seated in a car or in a restaurant booth.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    +1

As long as you're not totally pinned in by other vehicles, the best tool if someone's trying to force their way into your vehicle is the accelerator pedal. Run the light, drive across the median or up on the curb, whatever it takes to get the hell out of there!

If the BG is in the car, it gets a lot more dicey. I'm a right hand shooter and I keep my weapon on my right hip, so it would be hard to draw and fire on someone in the passenger seat. Lefties seem to have it a bit easier (maybe I should start driving an import from the U.K.).
    I know that one should always be aware of his/her surroundings, but it's nearly impossible to be like that conciously 100% of the time. There will be times you will fade out, get distracted for some reason.
    And that's all it could take.

I know that doors should always be locked, but I was speaking hypothetically if for some reason they weren't. What I was really getting at is that having my gun on my right hip would make it very difficult for me to draw in such close quarters. After thinking about that I don't keep it on my waist while driving. I usually have it in the driver's side door. I just think if it did happen that would probably be one of the hardest and stickiest situations to get out of without getting killed, hurt, or possibly killing the attacker.

I have noticed one thing, since I've started carrying concealed and reading these forums, I have become a lot more aware of my surroundings, and sometimes I feel that I may be a little paranoid, but that's better than letting my gaurd down!
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Quote Originally Posted by mbj0186 View Post
    I know that one should always be aware of his/her surroundings, but it's nearly impossible to be like that conciously 100% of the time.
    You are correct. Adjusting a knob in your radio could be the time it takes for an intruder to make his way in.

Quote Originally Posted by mbj0186 View Post
    What I was really getting at is that having my gun on my right hip would make it very difficult for me to draw in such close quarters.
    Yeah, you are pretty much SOL and along for a joyride. Why would you even think about trying to draw a gun when someone has the drop on you? It can't be done. Just hope you don't have much gas!

You must mean carjacked in your first post? You said "getting hi-jacked" and I thought it was funny because I had a mental image of a plane
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

If they jump in and I'm driving...I hope they like the ride. I'll be belted in...I'd bet they won't.
    I might have to take them 4 wheeling at highway speeds

Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    You are correct. Adjusting a knob in your radio could be the time it takes for an intruder to make his way in.

Yeah, you are pretty much SOL and along for a joyride. Why would you even think about trying to draw a gun when someone has the drop on you? It can't be done. Just hope you don't have much gas!

You must mean carjacked in your first post? You said "getting hi-jacked" and I thought it was funny because I had a mental image of a plane

haha, yeah that's what I meant.

I agree that in that situation you would have to say your prayers and hope the man is on your side and give you the upperhand. Then again I bet your adrenaline would be pumping so fast you would either be thinking very sharp or not thinking very clear. I've never been in a situation like that, or anything close, so I can't say how adrenaline would affect your decisions.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    If they jump in and I'm driving...I hope they like the ride. I'll be belted in...I'd bet they won't.
    I might have to take them 4 wheeling at highway speeds

I have seen depictions (was it in a movie or something?) and discussions about ramming the car into something to bring it to a forcible stop. You sacrifice the car, for sure, but you will likely be belted in, and your carjacker will likely not (hopefully he will not think to put his seatbelt on once established in the car with you). Best thing for you to do is to ram something sturdy and stationary, sending him out through the windshield while you are protected by your belt and airbag. (If there's an airbag on his side, it's not gonna help him if he's not also belted.)

I don't know what the insurance company would have to say about the crash, though. Perhaps you could just say, "I lost control," rather than admitting that you rammed something to end the carjacking. A large part of living a successful life is knowing when to keep your mouth shut about the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I have seen depictions (was it in a movie or something?) and discussions about ramming the car into something to bring it to a forcible stop. You sacrifice the car, for sure, but you will likely be belted in, and your carjacker will likely not (hopefully he will not think to put his seatbelt on once established in the car with you). Best thing for you to do is to ram something sturdy and stationary, sending him out through the windshield while you are protected by your belt and airbag. (If there's an airbag on his side, it's not gonna help him if he's not also belted.)

I don't know what the insurance company would have to say about the crash, though. Perhaps you could just say, "I lost control," rather than admitting that you rammed something to end the carjacking. A large part of living a successful life is knowing when to keep your mouth shut about the truth.
    I've heard about that. I think that's what happened to that one family who was murdered a few months back. Two small children and the parents. Sad.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. If someone pulls a weapon on me I figure I'm dead anyways, might as well take them down with me.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    My first rule is never , ever surrender your weapon......
    when did he propose this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links