Confused for threat

This is a discussion on Confused for threat within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all the recent shootings around the country and my ccw appointment coming up I began to wonder... If you are in the middle of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Confused for threat

Confused for threat

With all the recent shootings around the country and my ccw appointment coming up I began to wonder... If you are in the middle of a large scale response from police ie. Shooter in mall, would you pull out your pistol or keep it concealed until the threat is in your line of sight?

I just imagine being confronted by an anxious cop looking to be a hero.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    If you are in the middle of a mass shooting you will either be dead or should be in a safer place by the time LEO arrive. Find a safe place to hold up or get out by a secondary exit. I don't see the main exit being a good plan for leaving. There is going to be a mass movement of the crowd to it and that doesn't allow safe and controlled escape.

Once LEO start to show or you have moved to exit keep your gun out of sight. Don't let LE see you holding a gun in hand as they will be ready to shoot whoever they see with a gun on sight. Also if possible let them know where you are before they/LE sees you. They are still going to take control and give you orders (obey them) this is a time to comply.

Also there may be other CCers in the area also when it first goes down. So keeping your gun out of sight could be a good idea even then. If you are moving keep the gun hidden (in my book would be good idea) Also just because you see someone with a gun in hand does not mean they are the BG, in a mass shooting. Make you judgement call by their actions not what they have in hand. Know your target before you pull the trigger.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.llano View Post
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Im not a cop...

That being said, my duty is to get out of the way of the people whose job it is to deal with it & keep myself & my family safe. IF my life or the life of my loved ones is in danger I will do everything in my power to stop the threat, but it is not my responsibility to play "Guy Gunplay" and try to be a hero.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

You are conceal carrying to protect you and your family. If the threat poses an immanent danger to you then it is your duty to neutralize the threat. If not then duck behind some where and draw your pistol and cover it from view and monitor the situation and be prepared to protect you and your family.

Bad guys only carry scary black rifles so if a person has a pistol he's a good guy. Easy enough!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Unless your 17 why would you want to go to a mall? This mystifies me. Nothing there you need. Want to buy junk from china go to alibaba online save the aggravation

If you are in a mall that is being shot up, and you don't even see the shooter, why would you pull out your gun? If the threat hasn't presented itself to you, why would you draw?

Depending on your ideology, philosophy, ethos, etc., the decision to pursue, run away, hide, etc., is up to you. Regardless of which you choose, if you are not in a position to actively engage the threat, then keep it in your pants, or you may very well suffer from a case of mistaken identity. If nothing else, witnesses will start identifying you as the man with the gun. If you are in a position that you can engage the threat, then take whatever action you deem necessary, and follow your state and local laws concerning use of force. In GA, you can use deadly force to stop a forcible felony, whether you are the victim or not, and you can use force, including deadly force, to defend a third party as well as yourself. So know your laws, and make your own choices.

But no, I wouldn't draw until I saw a threat.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Unless your 17 why would you want to go to a mall? This mystifies me. Nothing there you need. Want to buy junk from china go to alibaba online save the aggravation
    If you're buying your chinese goods from a man named "alibaba", you might have other problems.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    This is very easy, you pull your firearm when you are intending to use it. That is it.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by R.E.llano View Post
    With all the recent shootings around the country and my ccw appointment coming up I began to wonder... If you are in the middle of a large scale response from police ie. Shooter in mall, would you pull out your pistol or keep it concealed until the threat is in your line of sight?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    an anxious cop looking to be a hero?
    What a Richard head attitude you have about leo's ----
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

If I and my family can exit safely, I would do so. My gun won't be seen until I am ready to use it.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2
    jesseyuh and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Unless i was in direct line of fire i would be like a banana and split . I know i will take and help other people to safety for sure and if we were pinned down i would protect a group of people . IMHO I would try to mitigate further harm from being done to others .
    gatorbait51 and rcsoftexas like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    First off, I don't do malls. Now, that being said, if I am someplace and an active shooter situation begins, I am grabbing the wife and getting out of Dodge, it the opposite direction of gun fire. If I can't get out, I'm taking cover, drawing my gun and waiting.....if the shooter comes into my zone, I'll take him out, if the police come into my zone, my gun hits the floor and my hands will remain visible to them. In a high stress situation like that, anyone with a gun in hand, without a badge, is going to be Swiss cheese at the first wrong move.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    DO NOT expose your weapon to the LEO's responding to the emergency until ordered to do so.

Keep it concealed or if you have already drawn the weapon, lay it on the floor mand back away if and when you encounter the responding officers. DO NOT try to reholster, expose or draw your weapon once the LEO's have spotted you .A good way to get mistakenly identified and shot.

This is, of course, after the threat has been neutralized and you are sure the officers have everything under control.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links