Tale of a Stick-Up

Tale of a Stick-Up

This is a discussion on Tale of a Stick-Up within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following is what happened to me ten years ago, about. I'd guess I was 23ish. This is also the reason that I always carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Tale of a Stick-Up

Tale of a Stick-Up

The following is what happened to me ten years ago, about. I'd guess I was 23ish. This is also the reason that I always carry a self-defense tool of some sort. It's usually a tactical folder, a fixed blade tanto, a collapsible baton, or something. It usually depends on my clothing choice.

Back in college, I dressed...differently....than I do now. I only say that because you gotta imagine what the young thug was approaching when he approached me. 6'5", long hair, black biker jacket with spikes, and chains. A belt with (fake) bullets on it. Probably an Iron Maiden T-Shirt underneath. Point being, I looked tough and yet he still targeted me.

I pick up my girl at the time. We drive into downtown Richmond and park in a dark spot because it was available and close to the pool hall. We get out, and a young (17 or so) thug in a hoodie approaches me and out from under his hoodie comes a little snub nose revolver. I doesn't really bring it up, but rather leaves it at stomach level and has it on me, and says "gimmie your wallet". I looked over his shoulder and saw, across the street, another older thug. This older dude was watching the whole thing go down.
    Now, I'm not saying that I'm a tough-as-nails dude. But I sure looked it back then. I have never been in a fist fight in all my 33 years. But my first reaction was to laugh at him. Not sure why I did. But I did. I think that really shook him up. Why is this guy laughing? I have a gun pointed at him! he probably thought. I'm sure it was a real slap in the face for him. Because he started to get shaky with his words. It also didn't give him much confidence that I towered over him and did not seem intimidated at all.
    "Gimmie your wallet" he told me again.
    "Seriously? I'll tell you right now that I dont have any cash." I said.
    "And her purse. Put 'em both on the ground. And don't make any movements." he said.
    My girl says to him "There's only make-up in here"
    So we both toss our goods onto the sidewalk, and he picks them up.
    He looks through my wallet and begins to get pissed that there's no score. "Two bucks?!" he yelled.
    "Yeah dude. Told you. My fault for not being prepared to get robbed tonight." I chuckled.
    He finds only make-up in her purse, like she promised, and then he starts to walk away.
    "Hey man, thats her purse, take what you want and give it back to her."
    And you know what, HE DOES! He gave her the freakin purse back!
    He turns to walk across the street and join his buddy. And my girl and I walk to the bar and do shots to forget about it.

Lessons I learned:
    1) It was probably some sort of initiation into a really pathetic gang. This explains why the guy was watching him from afar. I can't surmise anything else.
    2) When the guy bent over to pick up the goods, he should have gotten a kick to the head. And had I been carrying, he would have. And then disarmed or shot. And then I would have drawn down on his buddy.
    3) Always carry

I am grateful that it went down the way that it did. Nobody got hurt, and I learned a lot about myself and situational awareness that night.

Two Dollars? Did you two share the shot? Two straws?
    NONAME762 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    Two Dollars? Did you two share the shot? Two straws?
    Broke ass college kids don't carry cash. They carry debit cards. And usually overdraw.
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.

I wouldn't draw down on the other guy unless he closed the distance and wanted to join the party. He could have just been a nosy dude who wanted to see what was going on. Who knows. Glad nobody was hurt except for maybe the BG's ego.

It also sounds like it was the kid's first stick up.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

It's also interesting that he picked up a "hard" target. Perhaps it was the gun that gave him the confidence? I'm about your height and in shape and haven't exactly been targeted. People cross the street to get away from me and would be "gangstas" just nod at me and keep walking.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    It's also interesting that he picked up a "hard" target. Perhaps it was the gun that gave him the confidence? I'm about your height and in shape and haven't exactly been targeted. People cross the street to get away from me and would be "gangstas" just nod at me and keep walking.
    Yeah after it all went down I thought to myself, of all the people to try to stick-up, me?
    Must have been the gun. And it was definitely his first rodeo.
    gatorbait51 and niks like this.

I'm a little bity thing and the only time I was "targeted" was in Middle school. First day some stupid boy thought he'd pinch my butt. I turned around and kicked him square in the nads...never had another problem. If I have to fight I certainly don't fight fair, I bite, kick, scratch, whatever, I figure at 4'9 and 90lbs I'm allowed.

Beep-beep-beep-beep-beep...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuffman View Post
    I'm a little bity thing and the only time I was "targeted" was in Middle school. First day some stupid boy thought he'd pinch my butt. I turned around and kicked him square in the nads...never had another problem. If I have to fight I certainly don't fight fair, I bite, kick, scratch, whatever, I figure at 4'9 and 90lbs I'm allowed.
    When it comes down to it, you gotta fight however you gotta fight. Groin, throat, eyes, whatever. If I'm being assaulted, there are no rules. Just win.
    I love this guy's blog: Straight Forward in a Crooked World Look specifically at "Dark Arts for Good Guys".
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    That reminds me of one of the scenes in Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one).

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

Kick, scratch and bite away.

Number one never rob a man with a iron maiden shirt . Up the irons man

And is it not strange how some people used humor to defuse a situation ..

And yeah definitely the kids first time . And yeah never fight fair let them have it , you are not in a boxing ring .

And a baton or better yet a blackjack/sap would have been great when he went to pick up the purse . Nothing like spring loaded lead upside the head to learn a good moral lesson
    BobbyBJr and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Beep-beep-beep-beep-beep...
    Is that a BS detector you got there?
    Secret Spuk and gatorbait51 like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I'm a big guy and I don't fight fair either. If somebody's trying to do me harm, all bets are off. Just to be clear, I don't actively seek out confrontations and do my best to avoid them and have done so long before I began CCing.
    Last edited by blitzburgh; November 7th, 2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: clarification
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I elbow-punched a tour bus driver in Italy in the gut years ago when he pinched my butt as we were leaving the bus. Turns out the poor guy was trying to do the American women a favor because he heard some of them complain that they had been in Italy over 24 hours and not been pinched yet...............Bet he didn't do any more favors after that.................
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    My BS meter is going off the scale at the OP story.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links