Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint - Page 2

Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint

This is a discussion on Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by General Geoff Since I carry strong-side (right handed), and my wallet is in my right back pocket, I'd make like I was ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Since I carry strong-side (right handed), and my wallet is in my right back pocket, I'd make like I was going for my wallet and pull my sidearm instead. As far as I'm concerned, he could decide on a whim to kill me after I give him my wallet anyway. I'm not going down without a fight.

I agree all the way. I've thought this one out a hundred times, I dont' know that there's really anything else you could do except maybe go ahead and pull out your wallet and throw it at the BG's feet so he has to pick it up, this at least puts him off balance. If I have to die that day, I'm taking that sh**head with me!
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

This is a choice that each of us has to make and a great subject to discuss.
    My feelings about this is your life is in immediate danger and depending on the BG how it will end.
    You know since he is robbing you to begin with his ideas of morals and fair play are non existing and they will do what he/she wants regardless of what you do, so I will not put my trust into their promises or decision making.
    Given the opportunity of having my weapon and hand out of their sight, I would move toward my wallet and introduce my SASC .40 to their chest until it was empty.
    I feel strongly about my life and plan on fighting to keep it.
    Last edited by BigDave; December 11th, 2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: edited on to not
    Deadly Force is Only Used to Save Your Life or a Life of Another.
    Anything else has non lethal options.
    Packing4Life

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    I'd say bad idea. He has the gun pointing right at you. All he has to do is twitch his finger and you are dead. I am quite sure that I cannot draw, aim, and fire faster than someone who is already pointing their gun at me can pull the trigger...
    Agree to a point...and would probably give up the cash (from what my wife gives me... )

However, in this situation, there won't be a whole lot of aiming--this would require point shooting

I Assume A Lot...

I assume that the BG means me serious harm...
    I assume that the BG does not value life, and will take it for a few bucks...
    I assume that the BG will shoot me anyway...
    I assume that the BG knows Jesus...and wants to meet him...soon!
    I assume that when it's my time...it's my time...
    I assume that when I toss a wallet to the side, the BG WILL be distracted for a moment...
    I assume that the moment I have been constantly rehearsing in my mind has arrived...thinking is over, and it is time to put my balls on the line...after all, it is my 'life' that is being threatened...

I am not fearful of taking action...I only hope that I will be alert enough to get a 'hint' of what is coming...
    I WILL protect ME & MINE...no questions asked!
    I assume that there will be little or 'no' thinking time...that's why I practice my presentation of a weapon from a covered shirt or jacket...

If/when it happens, I hope to just quickly react...think later!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Sounds like it's time for a little FoF with my airsoft pistol to see just how well I'd do knowing full well my training partner expects it. If you can get your movements down then and come out on top, you stand a fairly good chance of being ahead of the game if ever faced with this situation for real with an unassuming BG.

Either way, not something I'd look forward to, ever.
    Nate setup the scenario with your partner to see if you can drive off with out him shooting, and then use your airsoft to let him have it.
    I bet you will have the drop on him.
    Packing4Life

Throwing wallet?

I have seen this posted on several sites about throwing their wallet to distract the BG.
    What happens if this pisses him off and he shoots you first and takes your wallet.
    Your choice to be pro active or not.
    Packing4Life

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I assume that the BG means me serious harm...
    I assume that the BG does not value life, and will take it for a few bucks...
    I assume that the BG will shoot me anyway...
    I assume that the BG knows Jesus...and wants to meet him...soon!
    I assume that when it's my time...it's my time...
    I assume that when I toss a wallet to the side, the BG WILL be distracted for a moment...
    I assume that the moment I have been constantly rehearsing in my mind has arrived...thinking is over, and it is time to put my balls on the line...after all, it is my 'life' that is being threatened...

I am not fearful of taking action...I only hope that I will be alert enough to get a 'hint' of what is coming...
    I WILL protect ME & MINE...no questions asked!
    I assume that there will be little or 'no' thinking time...that's why I practice my presentation of a weapon from a covered shirt or jacket...

If/when it happens, I hope to just quickly react...think later!

ret
    You said it all..............

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Nate setup the scenario with your partner to see if you can drive off with out him shooting, and then use your airsoft to let him have it.
    I bet you will have the drop on him.
    I'll see about trying this out a bit on Sunday when me and my guys get together for a day of airsoft. The one problem I can see is that BBs don't go through glass, limiting the realism, and the original scenario made it out to seem as if your vehicle wasn't started already.

I'll let you know what happens, with pictures if possible.

I appreciate everyone's replies.

You are correct in saying that my car was not started yet...I was halfway in the car when I was approached. Being ducked into car severely limited options. When I heard the gunshot, I turned my head and gun was already on me. From that range (about 5 feet) I felt he was too far to rush but too close to miss if he fired. This was on a city street and not a parking lot. I knew I wasnt in the best neighborhood when I was dropping a girl home and she invited me in. I locked my wallet and all cash and watch in the trunk of the car. So in my pocket I had $1, my keys, and a cell phone. About an hour later when I was leaving, feeling a little too "relaxed and satisfied", is when I was approached. The guy was early 20's, and only about 5'6" and 150 pds. Looking back on it, my radar was up as far as not wanting to walk around with valubles so I probably should have had my gun tucked in coat pocket as I went back to car instead of IWB holster.

So what happened? Obviously you're still here and well, which is good, but how did the situation play out?

I've thought about what to do in a situation like this. Having someone holding a gun on me is obviously a bad situation. I figure the best way to get out of it is to seize the initiative. Once a BG threatens me with a gun, I figure I'm not fighting for the $20 in my wallet, I'm fighting for my life.

I'd start out by feigning compliance and turning strong side away from the BG so he can't see my holster. Then reach back behind my hip like I'm going for my wallet and draw my pistol. Take a big step sideways (studies show that it takes someone about 3 seconds to reorient themselves if their target sidesteps) and open fire.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; December 9th, 2006 at 01:03 PM.

Being cornered in your car's doorway like that sucks! That BG new what he was doing. You had no room for lateral movement or to back up. If you had drawn your weapon and fired, he probably would have had the first shot and would have hit something vital if he can shoot at all due to the fact that you couldn't move. You would have to hope you could put him down quickly and call 911 before passing out from shock and blood loss and survive long enough for the paramedics to save your life. That's a very bad situation and should be avoided at all costs.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I'd start out by feigning compliance and turning strong side away from the BG so he can't see my holster. Then reach back behind my hip like I'm going for my wallet and draw my pistol. Take a big step sideways (studies show that it takes someone about 3 seconds to reorient themselves if their target sidesteps and open fire.
    This is actually one option we were taught in a Concealed Carry Tactics class I attended. While you reach for the gun plead for mercy from the bad guy. Don't shoot I have cash. You can also distract him by sort of waving your weak side hand while you are doing this. Then draw and shoot one-handed from a close retention position. Still not a good situation to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by sailormnop View Post
    Being cornered in your car's doorway like that sucks! That BG new what he was doing. You had no room for lateral movement or to back up. If you had drawn your weapon and fired, he probably would have had the first shot and would have hit something vital if he can shoot at all due to the fact that you couldn't move. You would have to hope you could put him down quickly and call 911 before passing out from shock and blood loss and survive long enough for the paramedics to save your life. That's a very bad situation and should be avoided at all costs.
    Being constrained from moving because of the car doorway really limits your options.

Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    Part of survival is knowing WHEN to pull your gun and use it.
    Yes. 5-7ft away is technically contact distances, however it's far enough that a "move" could be beaten by the BG simply pulling the trigger. Any moves would need to be done with the gun in my face or to my head, and even at that I'm not the spry/mobile little rattlesnake I used to be.

In this situation, if it were me? He'd get the wallet. Now, I'd like to think I'd toss the wallet over thataway, so that when he went for it I could slowly turn the other direction, hiding my strong side and upping the odds a bit. But then, that movement alone might well prompt his shooting me. No good alternatives here, unless a surprise opening presents itself.

Still, I bet I'd have a reasonable chance of being able to draw at the turn, as I'm highly aware when moving through darker, remoter spaces where perps tend to hang out. It would still take the right situation. Everything depends on the BG's attentiveness, how close, whether there's any cover, on what side he approaches, whether it's very dark (inhibiting his eyesight and covering any simple move toward a weapon). Nah. Wishful thinking, mostly. Haven't been there yet ... and I hope I never am.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

my problem is I never carry cash so if someone tries to rob me they will be practicing, move and draw may be my only way home.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links