Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint - Page 3

Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint

This is a discussion on Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Beg for mercy, start crying, act like you're going for your wallet and have dropped a load in your pants then PULL YOUR PIECE AND ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Beg for mercy, start crying, act like you're going for your wallet and have dropped a load in your pants then PULL YOUR PIECE AND SEND HIM TO HELL.

I'll die in a gunfight, but I won't be executed.

And I'm not trusting this stack of feces NOT to shoot me just for fun after he gets what little cash I may have.

what happenned

As I said i had locked my wallet in the car so all I had in my pockets were a $1 bill, cell phone, and keys. He told me to give all my money so I pulled these out my pockets as i flipped them out to show that was all I had. Being there was no wallet to throw to distract(not sure if I would have anyway) I just threw the dollar and phone and keys on ground about halfway between us. Looking back, probably should have held on to phone in case I had to call 911 but wanted to show him I was complying. If he became SERIOUSLY distracted picking up the dollar, I was going to draw and shoot. If he wasnt completely distracted, I was going to let him make the first move as far as escalating to gunfire. The shot he made in the air didnt sound too loud and the gun was relatively small and old looking, so I was assuming it was a .22. Didnt want to put too much faith in my "id by gunshot loudness" though . He was constantly pointed the gun at my body not head. Was just praying that I would be able to return fire if shot. After I dropped the $1, he said said "give me the rest of it, i dont want a phone, I want MONEY!" He then said he was going to blast me if I didn't come up with more cash. I again repeated that was all I had. He hesitated as if thinking about whether to push the issue for more money, but this was a semi-main street that was well lit and I think he didnt want to stay in the open much longer. He then said "OK. Grab your stuff and go ahead." As I went to grab my phone and the dollar he told me "Wait, I'll take that." He then PUT THE GUN IN HIS POCKET! , reached down and grabbed the dollar. Could have easily drawn on him then as he was paying me no attention, but I figured my chances of living had gone from 50% to 99.5% and just wanted to get the hell out of there. I grabbed my cell phone and keys, jumped in my car and drove off. Whole time was probably less than 30 seconds but seemed like forever.

A dollar was a cheap price to pay for learning to be more prepared and aware. I got lucky this time, but realize I just as easily could have been killed that night, especially after only producing a dollar! It was a horrible feeling knowing that my life may have depended on the whim of someone else. I am also going to looking into disarment training. Hope to never put myself in that situation again.

come on everyone...if the gun is pointed at you from 5ft away..two things come to mind...first, you are not THAT fast that you can outdraw a gun already pointed at you and second...the money can't be that important...after all how much are you normally carrying

Quote Originally Posted by vzwnnj View Post
    come on everyone...if the gun is pointed at you from 5ft away.. you are not THAT fast ...
    The point is, every situation's different. Speed is not the question. An opportunity to leverage circumstances, however, is. As the OP suggests above, dependent on the attention span and motions of the BG, it's entirely possible that a draw could be made on the side facing away from the BG without the BG seeing. Not very likely, but entirely possible. If dark, if there's cover, if the idiot puts his gun back into his pocket and then leans down/over to pick up the cash ... I'm one of those that prepares for such an eventuality and might consider doing it, but the conditions would have to be very right.

...the money can't be that important...
    The money isn't. But my life most certainly is.

There are no guarantees that a BG "stiffed" for a few dollars would appreciate my cooperation so highly as to simply leave after robbing me. Given the actual precedents of folks being capped for having so little cash on hand, I absolutely train for the eventuality that a BG loses focus/attention in the hope that it can be leveraged to get me out of a deadly-force situation. (Recall the recently posted story about a guy at a car wash that got ambushed and robbed, but then drew his firearm as he went around the other side of the truck.)

I train to play dirty; I train to take advantage of even unlikely circumstances. Damn right I'd consider it. If the circumstances presented themselves.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Drawing Against the Drop

This topic has seen a fair bit of recent discussion on WarriorTalk.

Some guys have worked on this with airsofts and/or Simunitions. I haven't yet, although I hope to soon.

Best of luck,

Bill

come on everyone...if the gun is pointed at you from 5ft away..two things come to mind...first, you are not THAT fast that you can outdraw a gun already pointed at you and second...the money can't be that important...after all how much are you normally carrying
    You would be surprised at how long someone can hesitate if they're unprepared and unassuming. In the heat of the moment, even just a few seconds can seem like an eternity, and even though they got the drop on you, you still have the element of surprise, which can be exploited to maximum possible potential alongside the elements of delay, distraction, and misinformation.

I would lean towards drawing and shooting if an opportunity arises.

Couple of questions:
    1. Has anyone thought of looking over the BG's shoulder (like your looking at someone coming up behind him)? Hoping you could distract him long enough to draw.

2. Lets assume the BG is right handed. If you do have the room to move laterally, is there any specific direction that you can move to increase his chances of missing?

Mods: question 2 may be better in a new thread, hope I'm not hijacking this one!

As soon as a BG threatens me with a gun, it's no longer about the money. At that point I'm going to assume he plans to shoot me and act accordingly.

I am not fast enough to outdraw someone's trigger finger, so I'm not going to stand there and play "High Noon". As I outlined earlier, the idea is to get the pistol out of the holster without the BG noticing, then combine movement and decisive action to engage the bad guy without giving him a chance to fire.

My post earlier is supporting to draw and fire to protect your life.
    I was looking at a few issues.
    • Act in a manner of following their directions being cooperative until you can respond.
    • Acting is must faster then reacting, even though he has the gun drawn on you he is not expecting you to draw a gun of your own.
    • If your weapon is in the same area of your wallet and is hidden from his view you would be able to grasp your weapon instead of your wallet, as far as he knows it is your wallet and as you bring it to present it you would be point shooting.
    • By the time he acknowledge it is a gun, you would have shot at least one or two shots and his natural reaction will be to move away from that loud noise.

I am not protraying a gun fight here, just using some of the tactics that BG's use toward their victims, take advantage of what they expect to be done and respond to defend yourself.
    It is each individual choice to react in how they feel comfortable, as it is their choice. I am not trying to change anyones mind on how to respond, just presenting my choice.
    It is very good to see everyones thinking process, this gives me and others issues to consider in this situation.
    Deadly Force is Only Used to Save Your Life or a Life of Another.
    Anything else has non lethal options.
    Packing4Life

Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post
    2. Lets assume the BG is right handed. If you do have the room to move laterally, is there any specific direction that you can move to increase his chances of missing?
    Gabe Suarez did a version of this in an FoF drill, and most people died when simply trying to draw, shoot, and move, and EVERYONE moved to the "inside" of the instigator (moving toward a right-handed shooters left, or your right).

If anything, I would try to move to their outside, as that's a slightly more awkward shooting platform, and also forces them to either swivel their entire body, thus buying you precious fractions of a second, or use only one arm, thus destabilizing their firing platform, and increasing their chance of a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The point is, every situation's different. Speed is not the question. An opportunity to leverage circumstances, however, is. As the OP suggests above, dependent on the attention span and motions of the BG, it's entirely possible that a draw could be made on the side facing away from the BG without the BG seeing. Not very likely, but entirely possible. If dark, if there's cover, if the idiot puts his gun back into his pocket and then leans down/over to pick up the cash ... I'm one of those that prepares for such an eventuality and might consider doing it, but the conditions would have to be very right.
    The money isn't. But my life most certainly is.
    There are no guarantees that a BG "stiffed" for a few dollars would appreciate my cooperation so highly as to simply leave after robbing me. Given the actual precedents of folks being capped for having so little cash on hand, I absolutely train for the eventuality that a BG loses focus/attention in the hope that it can be leveraged to get me out of a deadly-force situation. (Recall the recently posted story about a guy at a car wash that got ambushed and robbed, but then drew his firearm as he went around the other side of the truck.)

I train to play dirty; I train to take advantage of even unlikely circumstances. Damn right I'd consider it. If the circumstances presented themselves.
    I too was ambushed and robbed at a carwash one night. Unfortunatly I was unarmed. The BG freaked out when he looked down into my wallet and overlooked the $50 dollar bill I had neatly folded. I invited him to take another look before he shoot me. Then he chased me arround my car trying to get me to lay on my back so he could take my car(but he could not drive a stick). I had a number of opportunities to take him out had I been armed. And I had a number of opportunities to have never seen my wife and kids again also.

Quote Originally Posted by atl3695 View Post
    He was constantly pointed He then said "OK. Grab your stuff and go ahead." As I went to grab my phone and the dollar he told me "Wait, I'll take that." He then PUT THE GUN IN HIS POCKET! , reached down and grabbed the dollar. Could have easily drawn on him then as he was paying me no attention, but I figured my chances of living had gone from 50% to 99.5% and just wanted to get the hell out of there.
    What's to say he really meant to let you go at that point or got pissed off again to the fact he was only picking up a dollar. He would had been toast right then and there!
    Last edited by Shooter45; December 10th, 2006 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter45 View Post
    I too was ambushed and robbed at a carwash one night. Unfortunatly I was unarmed. The BG freaked out when he looked down into my wallet and overlooked the $50 dollar bill I had neatly folded. I invited him to take another look before he shoot me. Then he chased me arround my car trying to get me to lay on my back so he could take my car(but he could not drive a stick). I had a number of opportunities to take him out had I been armed. And I had a number of opportunities to have never seen my wife and kids again also.

What's to say he really meant to let you go at that point or got pissed off again to the fact he was only picking up a dollar. He would had been toast right then and there!
    True, but I felt if he planned on doing anything, the gun wouldn't have gone in his pocket. And if i drew the gun I would have had to shoot. My goal from start was to get out safely. While Georgia is a gun friendly state, who wants to spend a couple grand on a lawyer and explain why i shot someone who was KNEELING with a gun only in his pocket. Could a DA say that he was no longer a threat? I could have been proven wrong, but I thought it was best decision at the time.

Common sense prevails. I am certainly glad that things worked out for the best for you.
    Last edited by Shooter45; December 10th, 2006 at 09:30 PM.

action v reaction. your action of drawing your gun and firing at the "bg" will be faster than the "bg" reaction (shooting back) to your actions.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Here is where most people think like we think....and it can be the wrong way. Most criminals are not ready to take the shot, that moment of hesitation is yours as long as you have the mindset for survival!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links