Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint

This is a discussion on Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Regarding the opening post... I'm an old man with pretty fair reactions...I throw the wallet where he has to move away, then draw as he ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint

Regarding the opening post...

I'm an old man with pretty fair reactions...I throw the wallet where he has to move away, then draw as he makes any move toward it...I shoot until the threat is over.

I should add that with two types of cancer going on, I'm a pretty high risk-taker when I play these out in my mind. I'm not going to die at the hands of some sleazeball after six years of fighting to stay alive.

Remember, he's fired a shot in the air and may just feel like cranking another off into me, money or not. Were it not for that shot, I may just hand over the money quietly and hope for mercy.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by atl3695 View Post
    True, but I felt if he planned on doing anything, the gun wouldn't have gone in his pocket. I could have been proven wrong, but I thought it was best decision at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter45 View Post
    Common sense prevails.
    "Common" sense ain't what it used to be, is all too often not recognized by criminals as an endearing quality worthy of respect/consideration and is increasingly hard to rely upon it prevailing as a tactic. Luckily, things did work out. It could have gone either way. Ditto: very glad you made it out alive.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 14th, 2006 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spellin' ehrers
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

FoF didn't happen yesterday due to my camera dying. I'd like to get pics, so we're going to try it again next weekend first thing.

Quote Originally Posted by atl3695 View Post
    Criminal said "Give me all your money before I blast your ass." What would u do?
    If he's not afraid of making noise, he's probably not going to be afraid to shoot me afterward whether I comply or not, so I'll cry over the damage my .380 or .45ACP will do to the Coronado vest my wife gave me for my birthday when I start firing before getting the gun out into view. Action beats reaction, and if his first indication of action is inbound fire, it will likely impair his reaction even more.

Both of my primary carry locations are pretty much where a wallet would be, (strong-side hip and crossdraw pocket) but I can't see keeping the strong-side hip gun hidden until the first shots are fired in the situation described. From the concealment pocket, it's just raise clear of the holster, rotate upward and outward as needed, and fire. It might jam, but only after going bang at least once. With 5ft separation, aiming is not really practical, and bringing the gun up to aim will put it well within his arm's reach. Fire from retention position and/or concealment, just like you've been practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Nate setup the scenario with your partner to see if you can drive off with out him shooting, and then use your airsoft to let him have it.
    I bet you will have the drop on him.
    I re-read my post and it is not clear.
    To clarify.
    In an attempt to have it more realistic your partner cannot be aware of the whole scenario. Thus telling him you're are going to try and drive off when he has you at gun point robbing you.
    Instead of driving off, while going for your wallet pull your weapon and shoot, this will un doubtingly catch him off guard as I feel a robber would be.
    Reaction vs action.
    Deadly Force is Only Used to Save Your Life or a Life of Another.
    Anything else has non lethal options.
    Packing4Life

Well, some of the training classes guarantee that after the class you will be able to draw and fire two accurate shots in two seconds. IMV not good enough. In two seconds the BG could just about empty his gun into you, couldn't he?
    -terry

Terry, I agree with drawing and shooting two rounds in 2 seconds in a gun fight situation.

What I was discussing is you were either seated into a car or inside the door area and approached with a gun pointed at you.
    Your wallet area is out of view of the BG, if you were to draw your weapon from the wallet location, You will have to act that you are complying with his/her orders. It would not be seen until it is pointed at him and fired.

Yes there is still a good chance that you will be shot as with any incident involving someone holding a gun on you.
    Do you trust someone robbing you not to shot you after they get or do not get what they want? That $20.00 may not be enough.
    They have already demonstrated their view of right and wrong.

You would not want to fast draw from that point, that would give him/her time to do as you say, empty their gun in you.

I am not advocating that someone change their responses in such a situation but to give discussion for thought.
    Last edited by BigDave; December 12th, 2006 at 10:16 AM.
    Deadly Force is Only Used to Save Your Life or a Life of Another.
    Anything else has non lethal options.
    Packing4Life

IMHO, not if he's expecting you to present a wallet. My money's on his hesitation, and that will give you more than enough time to get off a couple shots.

One reason I pocket carry is that I will sacrifice my jeans for my life. Reach for wallet but really pull up my .32 or .38 inside that wallet-looking Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Up it comes and out goes the fast moving metal pieces.

Or just change the angle and point-shoot through my pants. Yeah, I might get a burn or two, but beats being dead.

I do practice shooting "from my pocket" (outside it of course) and it does mess up the jeans a bit. Accurate enough for the couple yards to COM we're talking about in this situation.

Then I'm all over him until he stops trying to hurt me.
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Just the very first thing through my head......

Sidestep, draw, and fire.

Reload at earliest convenience, and, repeat as needed.

I'd rather go down fighting, than die begging for my life.
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Pull out wallet and toss it to his strong side. when he looks down run for cover. If there is no cover, draw move and shoot.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links