Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint

This is a discussion on Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to get some opinions on when you would draw your weapon if a gun is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint

Real Life Sit: Drawing your weapon while being robbed at gunpoint

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to get some opinions on when you would draw your weapon if a gun is already pointed at you. I know everyone is going to say stay alert, dont put yourself in bad situations,etc. But sometimes that is impossible and criminals truly get the drop on you.

Real Life Situation:

I was walking back to my car late at night alone. As I entered the car, someone comes from behind me, shoots one shot in the air and then points the gun at me and says to give up all your money. The gun is now pointed at me and I am facing the the criminal. Separation is about 5 feet. I am curious as to what would go into your decision as to whether to comply or draw your weapon and try to fire before he gets a shot off. Gun was a snub revolver. Criminal said "Give me all your money before I blast your ass." What would u do?

Thanks for replys

2. Remove Ads

I would give him all my money, which right now is $20. I don't carry much money on me, for this particular reason.

If someone has a gun up against you (or very close), this IMHO is not the time to try and pull a Jackie Chan move and try to render him/her useless. Part of survival is knowing WHEN to pull your gun and use it. The element of surprise is necessary and you can't do that when you are in a parking garage facing the intruder. I would probably wait until things calm down a bit and try to talk them out of killing me first. 5 feet is too close to try and pull weapon out and fire when they have their gun trained on you.

This is what immediately went through my head.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Ok, my sitational awareness has failed me. Five feet away from the business end of a handgun... He gets the cash. I just have to hope that Jesus isn't ready to meet me yet.

MikeV

Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    I would give him all my money, which right now is $20. I don't carry much money on me, for this particular reason.

If someone has a gun up against you (or very close), this IMHO is not the time to try and pull a Jackie Chan move and try to render him/her useless. Part of survival is knowing WHEN to pull your gun and use it. The element of surprise is necessary and you can't do that when you are in a parking garage facing the intruder. I would probably wait until things calm down a bit and try to talk them out of killing me first. 5 feet is too close to try and pull weapon out and fire when they have their gun trained on you.

This is what immediately went through my head.
    I agree. Or while going for your money, draw your gun at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ms.k
    I agree. Or while going for your money, draw your gun at the same time.
    I'd say bad idea. He has the gun pointing right at you. All he has to do is twitch his finger and you are dead. I am quite sure that I cannot draw, aim, and fire faster than someone who is already pointing their gun at me can pull the trigger. If you want to get your gun into play you are going to have to first distract him, get him to look away, or in some way get him to point his gun away.

Since I carry strong-side (right handed), and my wallet is in my right back pocket, I'd make like I was going for my wallet and pull my sidearm instead. As far as I'm concerned, he could decide on a whim to kill me after I give him my wallet anyway. I'm not going down without a fight.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

It's a crapshoot either way. I RARELY carry cash on me at all (just a debit card), so try explaining that you don't have any money to someone with a gun to your head.

I'm of a firm belief that violence of action stands a VERY strong chance here. More than likely, this BG has no training in reactionary measures, and doesn't have the sense enough to keep his eyes on you AT ALL TIMES.

So, wait until he either looks to his left/right (as most typically will scan their surroundings quickly and nervously), or when he looks at his hands/your hand to accept whatever you give him (wallet, money, cards, etc.), and then give him a little extra for his trouble, courtesy of your firearm.

It stands to reason that he probably doesn't expect you to introduce a second weapon into the mix, and is more than likely naively expecting you to simply present a wallet instead of some money AND a gun.

Then again, he might be on the ball, which is why I say it's a crap shoot.

But the bottom line for me is: I shouldn't HAVE to talk someone out of killing me (unless I'm unarmed and it's the very last chance I've got). Also, what's to say he won't just put two in my head after I give him the money anyway? We can talk about how he probably won't want to go from aggravated assault and robbery to first degree murder, but we JUST DON'T KNOW.

Give them money and talk to them all you want, but I'm drawing down.

Administrator
    Remember folks, action is faster than reaction.

This is one of those dynamic situations that are near impossible to solve without it actually playing out in front of us. Could there be time when the BG is distracted? Is he just going to kill me anyway? Can I afford to loose the $20. in my wallet? Was I smart enough to carry a fake wallet while my real goods are well hidden elsewhere? Did I train well enough to be a Quick Draw McGraw type hero?

If I do decide to draw and shoot it out, I would be moving to the side making myself the toughest target to hit that I could.

Lead Moderator
    That close...... He's a winner, he gets the money!

Maybe if something distracts him (You said he did fire a shot!), I might be able to do something, but frankly it sounds like you've lost.

BTW: Welcome to the forum.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

This is always a tough situation. You have no guarantee that he will not shoot you after you give him the money.

Standing there flatfooted and trying to draw and shoot before he is able to fire a round has a low probability of success.

This scenario has been discussed at length on this forum and others.

Options include:
    Give him the money and hope for the best.
    Throw the money and run or draw.
    Stand and draw.
    Utilize distraction and draw
    Move laterally and draw.

Lead Moderator
    my wallet goes one way, I go the other. If he turns to the wallet, better for him & me. Each situation is different . you need to Do what you think will keep ya breathing. .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    This is always a tough situation. You have no guarantee that he will not shoot you after you give him the money.

Ive actually thought about situations like this , Although it's easy when ive had this much time to think about it . I would rotate slightly moving my left side toward BG to retrieve the requested money , while right hand (now somewhat concealed fromBG) would be getting ready to draw from cover . While left hand is reaching out to hand BG the requested money , I would nerviously drop the cash on the ground , while BG is distracted with fallen cash , Right hand would would draw and take care of business .

Sounds like a watch too much tv , Huh ?
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Remember folks, action is faster than reaction.

This is one of those dynamic situations that are near impossible to solve without it actually playing out in front of us. Could there be time when the BG is distracted? Is he just going to kill me anyway? Can I afford to loose the $20. in my wallet? Was I smart enough to carry a fake wallet while my real goods are well hidden elsewhere? Did I train well enough to be a Quick Draw McGraw type hero?

If I do decide to draw and shoot it out, I would be moving to the side making myself the toughest target to hit that I could.
    I love the fake wallet idea...

Sounds like it's time for a little FoF with my airsoft pistol to see just how well I'd do knowing full well my training partner expects it. If you can get your movements down then and come out on top, you stand a fairly good chance of being ahead of the game if ever faced with this situation for real with an unassuming BG.

Either way, not something I'd look forward to, ever.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    My initial reaction would be as sheepish as I could manage. Lots of "take anything you want" and "please don’t shoot me".

I keep my wallet in my left rear pocket (my week side). I would slowly and nervously reach for my wallet while turning my left side toward the BG. Because the BG is 5 feet away, I would toss my wallet to his right and slightly behind him. This SHOULD throw off the BG’s OODA loop and provide me an opportunity to move quickly to my right while I draw.

At this point my reaction would have everything to do with my surroundings. Is it safe to take some poorly aimed shots while running for cover? What kind of cover is available, and how far is it? Am I alone, or am I worried about others like family or friends?

In an ideal situation, it would be safe to fire 1-2 rounds while running to good cover. I do not think many "stick up guys" would stick around after their "would be" victim just shot back. But IF the BG wants to "play" I would engage from that cover.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links