Attacked by unarmed man......

This is a discussion on Attacked by unarmed man...... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My biggest fear is being attacked by someone who is enraged but not armed. I don't have a problem walking away if that works or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attacked by unarmed man......

Attacked by unarmed man......

My biggest fear is being attacked by someone who is enraged but not armed. I don't have a problem walking away if that works or even taking a punch and leaving, but I'm not going "hands on" with some a-hole that could get my weapon during a struggle. On the other hand I don't want to sit in a courtroom trying to explain why I shot a unarmed man. I worry about being in a situation where I'm backed in a corner and there is no choice but to draw and the sight of my weapon has absolutely no affect on the guy intent on having some of me.
    Anybody else worry about this?

2. Remove Ads

H2H baby

Need to get some H2H skills in your toolbox. Maybe some pepperspray too. Definately learn how to maintain weapon control during a fight.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

VIP Member
    Because of my gender and size, I'm in a slightly different boat than you. The majority of men are much larger and stronger than me, so an unarmed man is still a threat to my life.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    My biggest fear is being attacked by someone who is enraged but not armed.
    It's not possible to know if someone's armed. Assume armed. You're absolutely armed, hence there is a strong risk of being disarmed and having it used against you. Bad juju.

When I was 11 or 12, I had another kid attack me violently with a dangerous blunt item he was swinging. I defended ... and I had to be pulled off of him by three grown adults. That was the one and only time in my life that I've found it necessary to fight a protracted engagement physically. The simple knowledge that a 12yr old could hold off an attacker and withstand the concerted efforts of three adults to separate us was a revelation. Lesson #1 was that I went well beyond defending and pushed the depth of the counter way, way beyond what was necessary. That was bad. I also learned a life lesson that day: On any given Sunday, a motivated person with a mission can be dangerous and unstoppable. On that particular day, I had my life threatened ... and I flatly refused the concept. Lesson? Assume any BG might just have this degree of motivation, for whatever reason. Being attacked is no joke.

How I will respond: If someone gets inside arm's reach violently, it's getting stopped by the means I have. I assumed armed. Thankfully, in my state I am not legally required to take shots, get battered, be robbed. If sucker punched and I can create any sort of distance from the perp, I'd prefer withdrawal every time. However, any sort of overt violent attack on me is getting stopped by the means I have. Being disabled limits my choices and does simplify things a bit (as I cannot run, can't physically defend for long against an aggressive attack, and being taken to the ground would be "curtains" for me). Disparity of force, here, is similar to elderly versus BG, or smaller woman vs BG, or one-on-many. Control of my weapon in such a situation is paramount. It won't get taken. I won't be killed. I won't allow it, no matter what it costs the BG.

The laws in my state support this, thankfully. YMMV.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 9th, 2006 at 10:39 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You also have to look at your risk factors. Unless you are a prison guard, hang out at bars, clubs, busy streets, hang around with questionable people, the odds of someone starting a fight with you are nil.

Betty ditto.

Lead Moderator
    Learn so basic H2H skills. Also force escalation rules. Unless your physically disadvantaged by quite a bit, deadly force will be hard to justify.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Kick um in the groin then run like fire.

Thanks but I don't buy this

Quote Originally Posted by ms.k View Post
    You also have to look at your risk factors. Unless you are a prison guard, hang out at bars, clubs, busy streets, hang around with questionable people, the odds of someone starting a fight with you are nil.

Betty ditto.
    You could use this same logic to argue that noboby really needs to carry a gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    You could use this same logic to argue that noboby really needs to carry a gun!
    No that would be a stretch;)

I was talking about the odds. Crime can happen ANYWHERE but the places where they happen most, are obvious.

I used to worry about this as well. I dont go anywhere without the pepper spray. First I will try to avoid the confrontation. If I can't, the pepper spray is in my very loose front pocket. If I need anything beyond that to defend myself, it's (IMO) probably going to be justified anyway.

Anymore

All you need to do is make eye contact with someone at a red light, glance at someone's girl friend at the donut shop, or pull into a parking spot ahead of someone else in front of Walmart. It doesn't take much to set people off, it's a violent world. Also, I see a huge differance in how people behave in a small town or rural area VS Southern California or any other area where lots of folks are packed into a small area.

I agree that some degree of unarmed self defense should be learned by everyone. Now with that being said their is always going to be Someone that can "take you" in a fight. A less than lethal weapon is an alternative if you feel the need. OC, flashlight, collapsable baton etc. Just remember in any self defense situation:
    Awareness and Common Sense are your best tools.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Fear for loss of life or greivous bodily harm. A blow to the head can cause either. Just like with a weapon, Shot placement is key. A punch to the eye could result in a broken bone around the eye orbit and could cause blindness and loss of the use of that eye (greivous bodily harm), a punch to the temple can result in death.

Some H2H training and some pepper spray might be a good thing to have, I have seen something advertised by Kimber its a 2 shot focused pepper spray thingie. Might be worth looking into

That said, If I truly feel fear of L.o.L or G.B.H I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. Or even pushed around by 1 (my wife) for the rest of my life.

Thanks
    MikeV
    Last edited by MIKEV; December 9th, 2006 at 11:44 AM. Reason: word correction

If You Attempt To Start...

a fight with me...it won't be because I did something...(?)...
    I seldom drink, I don't go to bars, I let 'race car drivers' have the good parking spaces...
    So, if you are approaching me in a parking lot with anger, you will first get an apology (for doing nothing!), as you get closer, it will be a loud warning...
    If you keep approaching (this all happen in a few seconds), this 60Y/O will be pulling a weapon and you WILL stop...or be stopped!
    In Florida, it's called 'disparity of force'...I had a right to be where I am, you have no right to 'plainly threaten me'...you were given a warning...

I have/had a reputable job, I have no 'record', I'm usually with my wife.
    This older, no hair/white hair...couple will take our chances with the police and the new Castle Doctrine...

Oh, by the way, my wife will shoot your A** too!

OMHO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If the guy doesn't have arms I wouldn't want to look like the BG for beating up a handicapped person :)

Hand to hand is a must and you should be trained for it. Leaving a situation does not cost anything and many times in the past I have looked like a wimp b/c I wouldn't fight. I would rather keep that image than hurt someone or myself, or have my gun used against me.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links