Hard lesson about preparedness last night...

This is a discussion on Hard lesson about preparedness last night... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post, though I have enjoyed the insight of you guys who have put some serious thought into being prepared for these ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Hard lesson about preparedness last night...

This is my first post, though I have enjoyed the insight of you guys who have put some serious thought into being prepared for these various scenarios. Never thought I would have anything to post, especially in this forum. However, my carelessness was brought to light last night.

Just to set the scene, we live in rural north Texas, about 600' off the main road. behind a stand of trees. You can't see the house from the road and I have just gotten too comfortable in our "safety".

Around midnight the dogs (95lb GSD and 8mo old 70lb yellow lab with a great bark!) start going nuts at our bedroom door. I wake up ready to ream them for being so dumb. My wife says it sounds like someone is knocking, so I open the bedroom door and finally hear the BANGING on the front door like someone is in fear for their life.

I have to clear a corner to see the front door so I sneak a peek and see a man with a flashlight going to town on the door. I bet you can guess my heart was pounding! We have a lot of glass across the front of the house so I can also see a County Sheriff's vehicle in my driveway to the left, about 80' away. After checking the guy at the door out I realize he has a uniform on, so I go to the door and open it (go ahead and flame me!).

He points his flashlight over in front of his cruiser and asks if that is my vehicle. That is when I see the strange pickup in MY driveway sitting directly in front of the Sheriff's cruiser. I told him it was definitely not mine and I had no idea whose it was. He proceeds to tell me that it belongs to a felon that he was following when he turned into our driveway, ditched the truck and ran off towards our neighbors house, about 1000' away. He is going to have the truck impounded and would be looking around for the guy.

My mind goes back to this forum and I start trying to remember if there had been a similar scenario. I admit, I was still pretty foggy from getting woke up, despite the adrenaline rush, which is real! I go back inside, lock the door and turn on all the outside lights. I then go to my gun cabinet (which I had installed last weekend) to retrieve my wife's CW-9 (my XDS-45 is, well, you know where it is). I realize I never had told her where the key to the cabinet was hidden and I am starting to realize just how unprepared I was at this point.

For the next 2 hours I pace around the house, checking each door lock 20 times, and watching through the windows as the Deputy searched for the BG. As the tow truck guy was loading the BG's truck up, I went to talk to the Deputy to find out just what kind of "felon" we were dealing with since they hadn't found him and he was within walking distance of my house! It ended up being a domestic violence case where the BG had attempted to strangle his wife and they lived only 1/2 mile down the road, great!

The Deputy didn't think he was a danger to the public, just his poor wife. I felt a little better, except for knowing there is a knuckle-head just down the road. I think it took longer to calm the dogs down after all the excitement, we didn't get a whole lot of sleep. This situation brought the world of bad guys a lot closer to me and my families world, and I don't particularly like that thought.

Out of all this I realized how many holes there are in our perimeter security and our situational preparedness. If the original pounding had been someone kicking the door in, we would have been toast (thank God for dogs!) I am going to get serious about shoring up weak points around the house like lighting, the dog door leading into the garage from outside, and having the firearm at the ready. I also want to look into securing our bedroom doors. Our room is downstairs, the girls each have a room upstairs. I would appreciate any and all input from you guys and gals. If I had the gun out at the beginning, should I have worn it to the door, and while talking to the Deputy?

The one kind of funny thing is when my 20 yo daughter heard the pounding her first thought was "OMG, my dad is about to shoot somebody!" and was waiting for the gunshots!

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Always nice to have a scare without danger (granted, there could have been here, but turned out OK) to make you reconsider your preparations. This happened to us when the dog freaked out at who knows what last summer at 2am a few times. Thanks for sharing!
    wysh likes this.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the interesting and worthwhile first post. It is going to take you another day or so to de-brief from the incident. This is as good a place as any to interview in the mean time, as long as you don't take any criticism you may receive to heart. Till then, know tomorrow won't be nearly as wound up as today is. No, I don't know where your XD was, nor do I know where your flashlight was when you came up out of the bed. I hope they were both in your hands. Other than that, and the points you hit on already, everything seems to have played out according to Hoyle.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Dang man thank gosh you learned that the safe way.

I think you need to get some sensor that beep when someone is in your drive and sensor lights . Maybe get a heavier door?

And I know if I was in rual country I had a rifle /flashlight and pistol handy. Esp in tx. I know personal I am dealing with a possible craze bum at my door with a no less then a 10 round gun better yet 20 round mag . I have seen some of the home attacks n out there and rather not deal with a 8 round gun clicking dry as the second bad guy comes in...

Thank god for dogs I will tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Thanks for the interesting and worthwhile first post. It is going to take you another day or so to de-brief from the incident. This is as good a place as any to interview in the mean time, as long as you don't take any criticism you may receive to heart. Till then, know tomorrow won't be nearly as wound up as today is. No, I don't know where your XD was, nor do I know where your flashlight was when you came up out of the bed. I hope they were both in your hands. Other than that, and the points you hit on already, everything seems to have played out according to Hoyle.
    I think his joke was that the xds was still being fixed by SA
    Brad426 and SIXTO like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gdolson View Post
    This is my first post, though I have enjoyed the insight of you guys who have put some serious thought into being prepared for these various scenarios. Never thought I would have anything to post, especially in this forum. However, my carelessness was brought to light last night.

Just to set the scene, we live in rural north Texas, about 600' off the main road. behind a stand of trees. You can't see the house from the road and I have just gotten too comfortable in our "safety".

Around midnight the dogs (95lb GSD and 8mo old 70lb yellow lab with a great bark!) start going nuts at our bedroom door. I wake up ready to ream them for being so dumb. My wife says it sounds like someone is knocking, so I open the bedroom door and finally hear the BANGING on the front door like someone is in fear for their life.

I have to clear a corner to see the front door so I sneak a peek and see a man with a flashlight going to town on the door. I bet you can guess my heart was pounding! We have a lot of glass across the front of the house so I can also see a County Sheriff's vehicle in my driveway to the left, about 80' away. After checking the guy at the door out I realize he has a uniform on, so I go to the door and open it (go ahead and flame me!).

He points his flashlight over in front of his cruiser and asks if that is my vehicle. That is when I see the strange pickup in MY driveway sitting directly in front of the Sheriff's cruiser. I told him it was definitely not mine and I had no idea whose it was. He proceeds to tell me that it belongs to a felon that he was following when he turned into our driveway, ditched the truck and ran off towards our neighbors house, about 1000' away. He is going to have the truck impounded and would be looking around for the guy.

My mind goes back to this forum and I start trying to remember if there had been a similar scenario. I admit, I was still pretty foggy from getting woke up, despite the adrenaline rush, which is real! I go back inside, lock the door and turn on all the outside lights. I then go to my gun cabinet (which I had installed last weekend) to retrieve my wife's CW-9 (my XDS-45 is, well, you know where it is). I realize I never had told her where the key to the cabinet was hidden and I am starting to realize just how unprepared I was at this point.

For the next 2 hours I pace around the house, checking each door lock 20 times, and watching through the windows as the Deputy searched for the BG. As the tow truck guy was loading the BG's truck up, I went to talk to the Deputy to find out just what kind of "felon" we were dealing with since they hadn't found him and he was within walking distance of my house! It ended up being a domestic violence case where the BG had attempted to strangle his wife and they lived only 1/2 mile down the road, great!

The Deputy didn't think he was a danger to the public, just his poor wife. I felt a little better, except for knowing there is a knuckle-head just down the road. I think it took longer to calm the dogs down after all the excitement, we didn't get a whole lot of sleep. This situation brought the world of bad guys a lot closer to me and my families world, and I don't particularly like that thought.

Out of all this I realized how many holes there are in our perimeter security and our situational preparedness. If the original pounding had been someone kicking the door in, we would have been toast (thank God for dogs!) I am going to get serious about shoring up weak points around the house like lighting, the dog door leading into the garage from outside, and having the firearm at the ready. I also want to look into securing our bedroom doors. Our room is downstairs, the girls each have a room upstairs. I would appreciate any and all input from you guys and gals. If I had the gun out at the beginning, should I have worn it to the door, and while talking to the Deputy?

The one kind of funny thing is when my 20 yo daughter heard the pounding her first thought was "OMG, my dad is about to shoot somebody!" and was waiting for the gunshots!
    Suggestions:

1: Deadbolts on every door. and USE them all the time
    2: door jamb reinforcement. available at most home improvement and hardware stores, or on line... (armor concepts, or strikemaster. google either one)
    3: Safe room. If you have solid core doors, and you're handy, this one is pretty easy... 4-6 blind deadbolts around the perimeter of doors. If the kid's bedroom is at a distance from your master bedroom... consider doing the same on their door(s).
    4: Security film on windows that are reachable from ground, and at least on entry doors if glass, and in the safe room(s).

If you want to play hero and clear the house, fine, just make sure everyone else is safe while you do it... And that there is no way they can be attacked from outside while you're playing hero in the house.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Just my thoughts, but its been my experience, that when it comes to a Carry gun, or one for home defense, that once you lose confidence in a gun, it doesnt come back. I mean those are the guns that are not simply for fun, or hunting, but that you want to trust your life to.

Trade off that SA, and get a Glock 19, or some other pistol that you can trust.
    bigdogtx likes this.

Bingo, and I'll be lucky to get it back before Christmas! And I agree on a higher capacity gun for around the house. Sensor on the drive is also a good idea. Need to get a small, high intensity tactical flashlight for sure. And Mike, you're right. I will be paranoid for a couple of days! Bring on the criticism! My head is thick and I need it force fed!

I have been out of shotgun shells since a skeet shooting party a while ago. Need to make that a priority. Its a 16 Ga, bolt action with a 4 round mag, kinda cool but has been hard to find ammo for it. I also have a S&W M&P 15-22. Not a .223 but I could fill someone up with .22LR!

Definitely a driveway alarm. They are pretty cheap. Chamberlain garage doors has one thats on ebay for 69.00 works great black box in bedroom an sensor can be 600 ft away any one crosses the 80 foot beam makes it beep in house.

Thanks Oakchas, all good suggestions, I really need to do something about those upstairs rooms. Our master br closet has been designated as our safe room, easy to cover, but doesn't help upstairs. Does the security film prevent a window from shattering?

StormRhydr- I agree. I do love the XDS though and will be carrying it. I got my son a Glock 17 for his birthday and that is a sweet shooting gun. You could seriously shoot that thing all day. May have to put that on the Christmas list!

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    considering that no one got hurt and BG never made it into your home i'd say that it was a rather "soft" lesson, glad you're OK.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Complacency,,,, has gotten many people killed,,,,,
    stay alert,,,, be ready,,,, sometimes we just forget
    and fall in a bad routine around the house.
    blitzburgh likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdolson View Post
    Bingo, and I'll be lucky to get it back before Christmas! And I agree on a higher capacity gun for around the house. Sensor on the drive is also a good idea. Need to get a small, high intensity tactical flashlight for sure. And Mike, you're right. I will be paranoid for a couple of days! Bring on the criticism! My head is thick and I need it force fed!

I have been out of shotgun shells since a skeet shooting party a while ago. Need to make that a priority. Its a 16 Ga, bolt action with a 4 round mag, kinda cool but has been hard to find ammo for it. I also have a S&W M&P 15-22. Not a .223 but I could fill someone up with .22LR!
    Whichever gun I had on that day is the one on my bed stand (OK, it is really my kydex holster press which doubles as a bedstand) beside the Surefire and the extra mag. My choice of carry guns are a Glock 17, a Glock 19, a S&W M&P9 full size, and its compact counterpart. My wife has an old cell phone on her bed stand which only dials 9-1-1.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Sounds like a great learning experience.

And yes you should have been armed.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
    "People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

I answer the door with a gun. I am not worried about capacity. It's usually an SP 101 5 shot .357 I'm more concerned with ability to conceal. If I need more I have a 12 gauge stashed again out of sight near the door. I have no little kids at home your requirements may differ. Good door, dogs great! Drive way alarm and outdoor cameras I'm looking at options. I have motion detector lights by entrances and corners of house and solar powered night lights in shadow`areas of yard and by vehicle parking. These are what I have done or are looking to do. Any of these help you? Any ideas to help me? Welcome and stay safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links