Armor

This is a discussion on Armor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, this comes up occasionally but it hasn't for awhile now. How many of you incorporate armor into your home or personal security regimen? Note ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Armor

Armor

Okay, this comes up occasionally but it hasn't for awhile now. How many of you incorporate armor into your home or personal security regimen? Note that I use the word armor as opposed to just saying soft body armor, concealable armor, etc. So I guess I'm casting the net wide to include armoring vehicles, plates in your doors, walls or backpacks as well as armor worn on the body. Let me say from the outset that I know some people are really anti-armor, considering it paranoid. Fair enough. If you think it's prudent carry a firearm in your EDC but draw the line at armor, that's your call. Myself, I think that if it doesn't interfere with your normal lifestyle, why not consider armor? I don't really think I'd go with body armor for EDC but I think it's a good option at home. Here I've chosen my battlefield and my ground, and here I don't need to wear it all the time, just have it ready if necessary.

A ways back I purchased the basic US Palm Defender armor with the holster and mag pouches. The basic version ships with just one Level IIIa panel, in the front (one can be purchased for the back). My thinking was that I could have very basic armor preloaded with a few mags, a Surefire light and a pocket for my cell, ready to go and hanging on the back of my bedroom door. If I hear the proverbial "bump in the night" I wouldn't have to scramble for the basics- just put it on like a jacket and go. In a home defense scenario I think just having armor protection on the front is acceptable. I'm not gonna clear my house or go "rambo", just hole up. Overall I think this is a pretty good but affordable product.

Recently AR500 Armor ran a Veteran's Day sale, 15% off all armor. Since I don't recall ever seeing them go on sale before I decided to spring for two of the new Lightweight IIIa Curved AR500 panels. This is thinner version of their regular AR500 steel armor but about 0.18" thick. Being AR500 steel it should stop hundreds of rounds of any handgun and maybe some rifle rounds, too. Splatter is a concern to me...it doesn't help much if the round is stopped but the splatter cuts your carotid artery! The AR500 armor all has some Paxcon coating that hopefully mitigates splatter to a degree. My tentative plan is to swap out the soft armor in my US Palm rig with the AR500 stuff. This would free up one panel to maybe add to my Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger.

In my house it would be kind of difficult to force entry quickly or quietly. Anyone kicking in the door will need time and make some noise. A lot of the time I'm home in my bedroom since that's where I tend to study and it's where I have my computer. That door also has a lock. So I think the odds are good that if I'm home I can probably get to my armor. And of course, if I can't then I can't. But it's going to be an option at least some of the time.

Maybe it's paranoid but I've been considering trying to source a plate of AR500 or comparable steel that I could use to armor the door to my room. This would be to help reinforce it as a safe room. Again, just musing at this point.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

2. Remove Ads

I haven't thought much about it, but this thread has piqued my interest and will be looking into it. A friend of mine some years ago had some light and heavier vests that I tried on and neither was much of an inconvenience to wear. Granted, I only wore it for a (very cold winter) day. Unfortunately, I forget it's rating/level of protection.

It wouldn't be something I'd wear every day and I don't have much of a true need to do so, but options are a beautiful thing. If not for nothing else, it'd come in handy when SHTF down the road. Now, for reinforcing some doors and whatnot with it, me likey.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have a ballistic vest that I bought used from the folks at BulletProofMe. It is left over from my days as an Auxiliary PO. I keep it under the bed, right next to my GunVault. Very quick to throw it over my head in case of a bump in the night.

I also have a ballistic insert that I keep in my briefcase. I usually keep that on my passenger seat in the car. Very easy to throw it up against the window if I get trapped in my car - gives you time to drive away or draw a weapon.

Remember - not getting shot is more important than shooting the BG.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    If you are going to armor your door, don't forget to reinforce the door frame and hinges too........

I have a vest with level IV ceramic plates, and 3 AR mags---heavy sucker, but rather comforting in certain circumstances.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    This is just my opinion... to me unless you are in the military, law enforcement or some other profession the puts you at high risk of being shot, armor crosses the line of being prepared to being paranoid.

If I felt I need body armor I would take a serious look at my life choices! Do I live in a dangerous area, do I go to dangerous place?

I'm not going to live my life in such a state of fear of being shot that I need to were body armor!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ksgunner and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I have never thought of armoring my home. That would be a major expensive project. Also remember, if they can't get in, you can't get out.

I have a Safariland Level IIIa from my Sheriff's Reserve days but it just hangs in the closet waiting for the STHTF.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I have to armor my home or car, I'm living/driving in the wrong neighborhood. I'll leave the body armor to the infantry.
    BenGoodLuck, SCXDm9 and Hopyard like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    This is just my opinion... to me unless you are in the military, law enforcement or some other profession the puts you at high risk of being shot, armor crosses the line of being prepared to being paranoid.

If I felt I need body armor I would take a serious look at my life choices! Do I live in a dangerous area, do I go to dangerous place?

I'm not going to live my life in such a state of fear of being shot that I need to were body armor!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Theres such a thing as Paranoia and such a thing as being prepared,wearing a vest 24/7 would border on either you have a high threat job or your paranoid,having a vest to throw on in case of a home invasion gives you some added protection to COM if there is any gun fire.
    CanuckQue likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I use lots of heavy duty tinfoil.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

I do not own any body armor.

That being said I'm not against it. Every tech is a matter of convenience vs. effect. If body armor still was super inconvenient then yah, I'd call it paranoid because you're willing to make such an extreme change for such protection. But nowadays I believe you can get level III armor that conceals under an average loose fitting t-shirt. My CPL instructor wore body armor in our class under a t-shirt...I think I'm the only one that noticed, and even I just thought it was the outline of a "wife-beater" tank until about 5 hours into the class at the shooting range when I realized it was a tad thicker than an undershirt...but if I hadn't been hanging around him that long in such circumstances I would have never mulled it over long enough to realize what was going on. If he had been wearing something other than a relatively not-that-loose fitting cotton t-shirt I would have never known.

As far as armor around the house...I think everyone should at least figure out what spots in their house are the most likely to stop bullets. I have a part leading to my living room that has a wall jutting about about 4 feet or so, is covered by 6 inches thick of solid stone all the way to the ceiling, and has a giant cast iron wood stove in front of it. If possible that would definitely be my cover for any home intruder situation. Not really "armor" in that it wasn't designed for the purpose...but it sure fits it.

Armor is a bridge to far for me. At least right now. There is only so much one can do, and after a year of threatened gun bans, and ammo shortages, I have spent enough....for some long while, lol.

That being said, honestly for the home/defensive location, I like the thought of keeping them from getting to my position, more than armor. A chain saw could fell trees to impede movement by vehicles. I look to the Roman Army, and middle ages stuff, for other ideas, lol. Even limbs from thorn trees could be put out. They stopped foot & horse traffic back in the day, and would today, too. I expect that they would pop most tires, too.

I actually underwent major surgery years back to implant very strong metal into my body. I'm practically bullet proof.

I also underwent genetic redesign to heal faster. I'm practically invincible.

Oh wait…sorry…I was channeling Wolverine for a minute there.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

But seriously, if I could afford a good vest and sapi plates, I'd buy it.

I wouldn't wear it around ever, but throwing one on in the middle of the night when all you've got on is boxer shorts wouldn't be a bad thing should your home be invaded.

It'd also be good in SHTF situations, gov't takeover, things like that. When bullets start flying, a vest won't be a bad thing to have invested in.
    CanuckQue likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

body armor? personal preference, if thats what you want or feel you need, i wont hold it against you but currently i dont feel its a standard (like being armed) yet.

Physical security in your home? ALWAYS a good idea to harden your nest.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I will admit to sometimes wearing my vest to the range...given how unsafe some others are when shooting.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links