Grenades in a MALL.What would you do

This is a discussion on Grenades in a MALL.What would you do within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Atleast they got him off the streets before he could follow through with his plan and hurt people....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grenades in a MALL.What would you do

Atleast they got him off the streets before he could follow through with his plan and hurt people.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Hmmm... probably once I see the spoon fly off the grenade, hit the deck, open my mouth and cover my ears.
    ". . . open my mouth. . ." is this some sort of anti-ear blowing from the inside through the eustachian tube, technique in the presence of an explosion?

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Grenades in mall trash cans? That sounds like a prank, not a genuine way to hurt people. Any mil-spec hand grenade isn't going to do much damage when it's exploded inside a very
    Also I think charging him with intent to use weapons of mass destruction is pushing it.
    "thick plastic container that will stop much of the shrapnel."

LOL
    Ive seen them blow a steel pot (old helment) into a sieve

Any combat vets out there Besides me ?
    Tell um what a frecking frag will do to ya ..
    Last edited by gopher; May 12th, 2007 at 12:35 AM.
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

Strictly from memory (something I picked up in my misspent youth, in addition to short hair cuts )

M26 Grenade

A smooth bodied high explosive grenade, it weighed 425g with a fuse delay of five seconds. The average throwing distance was 40 metres. Its blast radius was ten metres, with a killing distance of 5 metres and a wounding distance of up to 25 metres.

The Current model is the M67 IIRC, but lethality is similar.

Unless your behind a concrete barrier and it's on the other side or it's in a bomb disposal tub, the blast and fragments will not be contained or deflected and the container will become even more shrapnel.

Someone starts tossing those babies about, in the confines of a mall, then you have no real option, but to get out of there, in my opinion. Grenades work in two ways shrapnel and concussive effect, both can be lethal.

Shooting him with a grenade in hand is fraught with danger, since if the pin is pulled and he has other grenades or explosive on him, then you have the potential for a sympathetic detonation, when he reflexively releases the grenade.

If you must shoot or choose to shoot, then do it after he has thrown the grenade, hopefully not at you, this hopefully mitigates the possibility of a large secondary explosion, but keep in mind, unless you practice shooting at 50 yards or better, that for most to effectively engage, puts you well within the operational envelope of a military grenade.

This scenario has the potential and the likely hood to be a no win situation, for both the fruit loop and the CCW or Police Officer who first engages.

Opening the mouth, prevents overpressure in the presence of a concussive effect.

Just one more reason to drive around the Peoples Republic of Illinois.

There really isn't a single redeeming thing about that "state".
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Grenades in mall trash cans? That sounds like a prank, not a genuine way to hurt people. Any mil-spec hand grenade isn't going to do much damage when it's exploded inside a very thick plastic container that will stop much of the shrapnel.

Also I think charging him with intent to use weapons of mass destruction is pushing it.
    Uh, no.

Besides, the plastic in those mall trash cans is mere millimeters thick. It's just made to look thicker through shaping. Makes them cheap to make, easy to move and install. It would be about as much protection against a grenade as a bacon sandwich.

Or maybe all our guys need in Iraq on their Hum Vee's is a couple of trash cans?

I would probably figure it was a gas explosion and get outta there before it all went up in flames.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

If the first one doesn't get me I'm making like a scared cat in a dog pound I'm heading for the door.
    Grenade trumps pistol

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaughn View Post
    The Current model is the M67 IIRC, but lethality is similar.
    The M67 generates smaller fragments, but throws them farther.

...farther than most people can THROW the grenade, in fact, which is why they train you to always take cover after the pitch...

(My misspent youth was apparently awhile after yours)

Holy Grenades Batman!!!! Good thing I brought my anti-grenade homing evaporator.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    Uh, no.

...It would be about as much protection against a grenade as a bacon sandwich.

Or maybe all our guys need in Iraq on their Hum Vee's is a couple of trash cans?

Hey Hey Hey... No need to waste a perfectly good bacon sandwich!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by .45forme View Post
    He is to be charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and with planning to damage or destroy buildings by fire or explosion.
    I fail to see how a grenade is a "weapon of mass destruction". My understanding is that a WMD is something along the lines of nukes or chemical weapons.

-----

That is pretty messed up though. I will never understand why people want to do these sort of things.

If I started hearing explosions in the mall, I would probably take cover and get low. After the explosions stopped I would take a look around to see if things have settled down, and then help the people who were hurt.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links