Grenades in a MALL.What would you do

This is a discussion on Grenades in a MALL.What would you do within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heres a real life situation. Think of the many ways this could have been carryed out,and what would-could you do. It still can happen. Man ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grenades in a MALL.What would you do

Grenades in a MALL.What would you do

Heres a real life situation. Think of the many ways this could have been carryed out,and what would-could you do. It still can happen.

Man arrested in mall attack plot, source says Sara Gandy Web Producer

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - A 22-year-old man was arrested in Chicago, Illinois, this week in connection with a plot to detonate explosives in malls, a federal law enforcement source said.

The man, described as a U.S. citizen named Derrick Shareef, faces charges for allegedly planning to set off hand grenades in garbage cans in malls during the holiday season.

He was arrested Wednesday, the source said.

A criminal complaint filed against him was unsealed Friday. He is to be charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and with planning to damage or destroy buildings by fire or explosion, the source said.

He was allegedly working by himself, and was not affiliated with a particular group, the source said. A confidential source working with the FBI alerted them to the alleged plot.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Pretty scary stuff, and extremely easy to pull off.

I'm not big on going to the malls anyway, but a large, panicing crowd would be a real nightmare. I think the War on Terror would shift into another gear if this were to happen...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Hmmm... probably once I see the spoon fly off the grenade, hit the deck, open my mouth and cover my ears.

You're right about the possibility of it happening again. I won't go into too much detail, but if someone were committed to doing such a terrible act with explosives, they may not limit themselves to actual grenades, and try a more improvied method.

scary stuff indeed.

Lead Moderator
    Take cover
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The Only Reason...

grenades were used is because of the laws against guns in IL.

I don't know what I could do except run or duck for cover, IL (if I lived there...and I don't...and won't visit) will not let individuals defend themselves. Luckily, this BG knew he'd be perfectly safe when threatening people there.

Maybe some day IL will learn...I doubt it!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Grenades aren't the be-all and end-all that they seem to be in movies.

Having said that, in an enclosed space with holiday crowds this could have been very bad indeed. If done correctly you'd never even know what was going on until the explosions started.

I wonder, first, if he really was planning to use actual military-style handgrenades. There are many more effective explosive devices which can be made... the military grenade is limited in that it has to be able to be thrown, and carried relatively safely.

When the limitations become those of "fits in a McDonald's sack, and light enough to be carried without arousing suspicion" your options open up a bit.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

duck and cover, then run. i don't go to the mall, they don't have anything i want.

Grenades in mall trash cans? That sounds like a prank, not a genuine way to hurt people. Any mil-spec hand grenade isn't going to do much damage when it's exploded inside a very thick plastic container that will stop much of the shrapnel.

Also I think charging him with intent to use weapons of mass destruction is pushing it.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

OK...reality check...this WAS NOT in Chicago. It was in Rockford--about 60 miles west of Chicago--and no, it is not a suburb (everyone thinks Chicago is the only city in IL)

Anyway--having lived in Rockford, and given the state of personal defense and gun ownership in IL, I would probably get my family to cover/out of the Mall ASAFP...and not turn back. After all, my weapon would be secured in my safe, disassembled and the parts spread around the safe with the triggerlock on the frame--just like the antis- and criminals like gunowners to keep their weapons.
    Last edited by SIGguy229; December 9th, 2006 at 06:51 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Depends, I had a kid drop a grenade on me in the throwing pit, it's amazing how long 4 seconds really is! picked it up and dropped it over the wall. However I was prepared as I knew the kid was nervous. In a mall, If I saw the spoon drop or fly, I would grab my wife and kid and push them to safety or cover them I suspect. If I was armed, and I saw the guy preparing the grenade, I would likely shoot without warning, but I would make sure I am close and he really does have a grenade.

He actually was caught because he was trying to get grenades and a handgun from an undercover federal agent. My main question about the whole thing is that it would be hard to time the grenaes to go off, I ,mean my udnerstanding of em is pull the pin and let the spoon fly, and then after the fuse burns down, it detonates. I don't think there is anyway he would have successfully synchronized them to go off while they were in trash cans.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

... allegedly planning to set off hand grenades in garbage cans in malls during the holiday season.
    According to a news report I heard, the explosives would divert attention and cause panic, then he'd pop 'em with his firearms as they went streaming by.

What would I do? Assuming I wasn't taken out by the grenades, circumstances allowing, I would certainly seek to terminate the threat. This is the sort of active situation I couldn't tolerate. A person handing a note to a bank teller is one thing; but a guy hosing down folks as they run by desperately needs stopping.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Heard about this on Savage Nation last night...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I'm with you, ccw9mm. I'm very happy in knowing that Virginia's deadly force laws permit its citizens to use it in the case of third parties facing deadly force themselves.

I see Sheeples running every where. people trampling each other. panic everwhere. Whether they see the grenade or hear it blow. We could only pray that as the BG was trying to kill more sheeples,that just maybe, a CCW just might get the chance to stop the BG. This is exactly why we carry. But the big question is,would you - could you. The sceaneros are just about endless. I guess what im trying to say. It probally would be one of us (CCW) to end it. So stay sharp and alert. Have a merry Christmas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links