Fitness routine

This is a discussion on Fitness routine within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm assuming this is the correct place for this but if not, mods, my apologies and please move. I'm sure alot of you out there ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Fitness routine

Fitness routine

I'm assuming this is the correct place for this but if not, mods, my apologies and please move.

I'm sure alot of you out there have routines other than just range time. I'd like to get back into shape but other than the Army, situp, pushup, run 2 mile routine I'm kind of having a hard time coming up with something that goes along with the defensive mode of thinking. I have a treadmill and some small weights at home. I already do yoga but would love a good karate/tae kwon do routine that I can do at home since there's no close dojo. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Hey Huff,
    The typical PFT routine isn't horrible. I'll throw some bricks in a ruck and go hit the trail for a run, then do pull-ups and push-ups, leaving the ruck on. I also use the TRX suspension trainer. I think that being flexible while strong is important. Hope that helps a bit.

AG

What is your goal? Are you wanting to get into better cardio shape, build endurance muscle, add muscle mass, lose body far, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Hopyard likes this.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Badey - I'm looking to improve cardio (in case I have to run away); and increase my chances just in case.... my worst case scenario is being attacked while putting groceries in the car or at any point when someone might sneak up on me. I'm a big fan of the boy scout "be prepared" motto and even a 5% chance of something like that actually happening is still a 5% chance it might.

I take what precautions I can - don't go out at night, pay attention to my surroundings, vary my drive into/from work routine, don't talk or text when other people are around, live work shop in a rural environment so avoid urban areas unless my husband is with me, - holy cow I sound like I'm paranoid :). Anyway just want to get into better shape and learn some rudimentary self defense.

Zumba...not kidding. Zumba, Pilates, aerobics are great for cardio, flexibility, toning, and general fitness. Too many guys shy away from it. WHen I was in my unit we hired a yago instructor to come in once a week! You can buy DVD's cheap or watch exercise routines on channels like Amazon, Hulu, and others.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I generally try to work out 4-5 days a week.

Workouts consist of Krav Maga or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

I started doing Krav as an alternative to doing to the gym and running on a treadmill. I just recently started BJJ to supplement Krav.

For a home work out you could buy Bas Rutten work out CDs or MP3's which basically have Bas call out punch or kick combinations. The combos are typically done in 2 minute sets. Best done with a punching bag.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    dhuff I have no idea of your age but I'm 73 and have been working out for some time at home and do one 1/2 hrs at least 4 times a week. Start with my old martial arts warm up for 15min. then 300 sit ups 4sets of 20 inverted push ups, 20lbs barbells 4 sets of 25 arm curls, 4 sets of reverse lateral push down with triple set of bands, 4 sets of 25 of butterflies with triple bands and 4 sets of 25 arm cross overs. I would push hard but heart problems and multiple injuries and wounds my Doc. says that's my limit and the computer in my chest relays all info to his office. I wanted to do a 10k walkathon but he said no because of knee, hip and back injuries.

Walk. And I admit I do not nearly enough of it as most dont. Walking is one of the best cardio activities you can do if done everyday. Ive let myself fall into not walking as much as I should do to spinal problems but I am starting to do more of it. A mile a day isnt that much really but it can make a world of difference.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I'm sure you all know calories in vs. calories out and any form of exercise is what works ultimately. The hard part is the motivation and actually DOING it. I'd suggest trying out different types of high intensity training with classes. I used to be a pleasantly plump kid who was always avoided the pool and beach from low self esteem.

I strongly recommend CrossFit. I've been doing it now for three years and it has changed my life. It's changed the way I see fitness, the way I view nutrition and now I have been coaching clients for 2 years, giving back to how it's changed me. I'd give it a shot. The things you learn, the community involvement and your overall view will change. I'd browse around and see what CrossFit gyms are around. Some of them have LivingSocial type deals. Don't just try one CrossFit gym either, because not all are created equal. It takes the right place and meeting the right coach to meet your needs and you will be surprised where it goes from there.

Personal testimony is I started at a soft 5'11 and 210 lbs with 23% body fat. I am now 200 lbs and 9% body fat. Now you may say "well you only lost 10 lbs" but I also went from a 36" pant size and wearing X-Large shirts to wearing 32" pants and medium/fitted large shirts.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. Good luck!
    gun_bushido and dls like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhuffman View Post
    Badey - I'm looking to improve cardio (in case I have to run away); and increase my chances just in case.... my worst case scenario is being attacked while putting groceries in the car or at any point when someone might sneak up on me. I'm a big fan of the boy scout "be prepared" motto and even a 5% chance of something like that actually happening is still a 5% chance it might.

I take what precautions I can - don't go out at night, pay attention to my surroundings, vary my drive into/from work routine, don't talk or text when other people are around, live work shop in a rural environment so avoid urban areas unless my husband is with me, - holy cow I sound like I'm paranoid :). Anyway just want to get into better shape and learn some rudimentary self defense.
    Search Bas Rutten and look at some of his vids on youtube. He's funny, wickedly-vicious methods, and you can get plenty of cardio with his workout routines. Something like Kojak on steroids. (If you don't know what I'm referring to, do the search too;
    and be glad you aren't old enough to know. )
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I will be 50 in December, am 4'9" 90 lbs, not quite moderately fit but not a couch potato. My BMI is 19.5. I just am finding it hard to get motivated.

In an emergency, your #1 resource, as you sort of hinted, will be running. Heck, it's helped me make a tight flight connection a number of times. Beyond that, plenty of suggestions here already depending on what you want. Fast is good, but distance may be more important.

Insanity. Nuff said
    saigaguy and voodoo304 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    You just need to find something you want more than doing nothing. I want well behaved horses for my granddaughters to ride. So I give them a good workout 3 days a week, after the workout, I put up hay, grain, and pickup poop. the poop goes into a pile and is introduced to the red worms. After the worms digest the poop into casings I bag the casings to be sold as fertilizer to the organic gardeners. This and putting up firewood is my workout schedule. I'm not saying this is for you but only to show that something as easy as walking a pet can get you going. Good luck DR
    brocktice and Rock and Glock like this.

It has to be something you like. Treadmills and such can be really boring. Aerobics type classes are very popular; and what I would suggest if you want to be able to run away ( almost always the best option)

Gyms are ok if you go, but my son works at one that has a capacity for 100 but has 4000 members. Do the math most people don't use them. Crossfit is interesting but where I live its $250 a month that is ouch pain IMO.

Go Seahawks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links