Robbed While Hiking

This is a discussion on Robbed While Hiking within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are out for an evening hike with your significant other on a local “open space” trail. You love this trail for how close it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Robbed While Hiking

Robbed While Hiking

You are out for an evening hike with your significant other on a local “open space” trail. You love this trail for how close it is to town, but yet how remote it seems after just a few minutes of hiking. Stopped briefly at an overlook, you admire the stars and the indirect sounds of the city below, when you notice two individuals walking towards you. This is not surprising, since another car was parked at the trail head, and you know they probably headed back to their vehicle.

Suddenly, one of them shines a bright LED flashlight in your eyes, prompting an immediate verbal “What the…” as you pull your arm up to shield your face. One man produces a small handgun, and the other loudly states to “Put all your [stuff] on the ground!”

How do you react?

As experienced by local hikers on this past Saturday night:

Boulder sheriff: 2 hikers robbed at gunpoint near Flagstaff Amphitheater - Boulder Daily Camera

7NEWS - Hikers robbed on scenic Flagstaff Mountain overlook in Boulder County Saturday night - Local Story
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; November 18th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

With a gun drawn and pointed at me I start by putting all my [stuff] on the ground. Then we'll see where it goes from there.

I'd really like to think I wouldn't let the guys get that close without being more prepared than these folks were, though.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Truth is, the BGs can always get the drop on you if they want.... same as you could do to most anyone else if you wanted to.

If they guy with the 'Weapon' bends over to pick up our stuff, the next thing he may see is a bright flash.
    If they don't allow me or wife a chance to draw.... and walk away with our 'stuff', I ain't gonna cause a confrontation, for sure.

With my wallet, they could probably each get their own 'Happy Meal'. When they come across CCWs, they will probably Stain their Dainties.
    oldman45, SCXDm9 and atctimmy like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    When they come across CCWs, they will probably Stain their Dainties.
    Or they brag about getting one over on someone who was likely armed. Feed the ego.

If I keep my CCW iwb at 4 o'clock normally, or AIWB with a jacket. BGs can have my bag and some blinding muzzle flashes. I do not keep my gun in my pack unless I am going to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chaplain Scott and mook012 like this.
    "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -- Paul

Do something off the wall, like feint a panic attack, and then let it develop from there. Be fluid, crazy and look for an opening.

Or you could pretend you were yelling at someone behind them, "run!" Go call the police!

Use your head, that's not the time to freeze up.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

When they come across CCW [permits] they will probably Stain their Dainties.
    My concern is that they will shoot you on the spot, or later pay you visit at home to get the rest of your guns...

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Once a person has a firearm pointed at you, it is time to give up your wallet and other stuff, including the keys. Try not to give them your phone and do not give them your firearm. Most people committing an armed robbery do not want to shoot you, they just want your stuff. Wait for a chance to make your move if they give you one or if you feel they are going to go ahead and shoot you.
    connsolo and RichB70 like this.

this makes me rethink keeping my gun velcro'd in my pack.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

scariest confrontation I had while camping in the Rocky Mountain National Forest also came from the 2 footed variety. At the time, firearms were not allowed in the Forest, and after we set up camp were heard gun fire from just over the ridge. Later a couple of drunk guys with rifles decided they would come ask us for more beer. We gave them each a couple (they had rifles), and immediately packed up camp and hauled out of their. They did not ask for the beer nicely either.

Never will I ever go camping or hiking without a couple of Glocks to keep me company. When you are miles from freaking no where, you are at the whim of some really, really strange people. (Deliverance comes to mind)

I too would just hand over what I had and call myself stupid....for starters. I like Gman's ideas. I could drop into an seizure that would get me an Academy Award and just scare the crap out of those two clowns. Where it went from there would depend on my acting skills.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

First, look them both in the eys and say " I'm you're Huckleberry". And RUUUNNNNNN.....

Seriously, if they have the drop on you, you need to create an opportunity to respond. The best response just may be giving up your wallet, things could get bad real fast in a remote area. My wife and I walk alot in the state park near us, but in daylight. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

If I'm picturing this event correctly, the one with the gun should be full of holes by the time the robbery is complete.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    They are behind the eightball at "notice two individuals walking toward you". Action beats reaction, and all.
    40Bob, StormRhydr and JDE101 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I keep my g27 right above my back pocket where my wallet is. If I reach for my wallet I may.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links