Incident at a no services rest area

This is a discussion on Incident at a no services rest area within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Monday I was returning to Minnesota from a trip to Texas to pick up two rescue dogs. In Oklahoma,the dogs needed a pit stop so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Incident at a no services rest area

Monday I was returning to Minnesota from a trip to Texas to pick up two rescue dogs. In Oklahoma,the dogs needed a pit stop so I pulled in to a "No Services" rest area. Long drive in and can't see the area from the road. I noticed a pickup with two guys in it pulled in and parked a fair ways behind me. They just sat and watched me. I had a feeling they weren't there to strech their legs, but just coming out of Texas where my permit from Minnesota is not honored my pistol was locked in the trunk. I slipped my holster on in the car, then got out and took my pistol out of the locked case in the trunk, out of their line of sight. As I holstered my pistol I turned sideways toward them so they could plainly see what I was doing. As soon as they saw this they drove past me and parked on the shoulder halfway down the exit road. I walked the dogs, keeping them in site the whole time. They never exited the pickup the whole time. After I got the dogs back in the car and drove past them they followed me down the highway for several miles before they turned off.
    I think that if I hadn't made a point of letting them know that I was armed, things would have gone south for me. Sure was glad that I had my pistol with me for the trip.
    "We've already run the misfits out of our country." Matthew Quigley

Sounds as if you handled it well. Out of curiosity, do you know why Texas does not have an agreement with Minnesota? Hope the rest of your trip went well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Sounds like you did well. While not walking thru life paranoid, we DO need to pay attention to our gut instincts. If you have not read The Gift of Fear, by Gavin DeBecker, I HIGHLY recommend it!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    if they really wanted to do you harm then you may have lost the element of surprise by letting it be known you were armed. glad it worked out.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Actually in Texas under the "Motorist Protection Act" you can legally have a loaded concealed handgun in your car with no permit even non residents
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I learned the hard way to always listen to my gut. By following it, I've been right far more than I've been wrong.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    if they really wanted to do you harm then you may have lost the element of surprise by letting it be known you were armed. glad it worked out.
    Good point. Though, the surprise was already gone, essentially. They knew the OP had seen them. The OP knew it was very likely to occur. Sure, they happened to now know he was ready and waiting. They'd then have to fight it in, each step of the way. They might well have come armed, then. But nobody but an idiot would do such a thing unarmed. Might well have grabbed a rifle, if they had one. But it seems being armed got them thinking about ramifications, and thwarted the plan, at least in this case.

I'm with you, however. I'd prefer to be heavily armed and under the radar. I'm fully up for them knowing I see them, and I'd keep them in view at all times, working my way to a defensible place with some chance of cover (if I could).

Have had a couple of dicey situations at dark, remote rest stops at night. Never directly threatened, but clearly it was with folks whose mental wheels were spinning about options. Never went anywhere, thankfully ... I'd like to think because I handled it much like the OP did, with being aware, "eying" them, arranging for some nearby cover, remaining armed, etc.

Best options, for me: don't get out of "screaming" distances from others; don't stop at remote, unseen rest stops, particularly at night; don't go anywhere, ever, unarmed, else don't go there; and, no matter the cost, hold it until I can get to a proper spot, even if that's just at the side of a busy road.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Well good job all around by the OP. One thing to consider is that a firearm is a high value target. All it would take by someone truly desperate would be to use a pit maneuver and spin you off the road and then rob you of your handgun. Unlikely, since it's risky, but part of the lesson of this story, perhaps. Glad the OP is ok.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Never advertise, its last ditch life insurance...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I learned the hard way to always listen to my gut. By following it, I've been right far more than I've been wrong.
    Same here. Wife sometimes looks at me funny when I (for no apparent reason) change carry pieces and/or ammo, and/or include BUG in ankle holster...or the one or two times I've awoke from light slumber, grabbed a shotgun and walked the perimeter of our place of living.
    Most of the time I have found nothing, however, a handful of times there really was something that needed my attention lest it evolve into more sinister.
    "Gut Feelings" are worthy of being listened to.

Regards,
    OR53

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO now Free
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Just want to disagree. Evasion, leaving, driving away--you name it--as far as I am concerned if SA pops into my head I am outtathere! I am not about to stare down anyone let them know I mean business per this thread when I have an alternate that requires nothing but staying in my car/truck and driving away.
    Bmoliv66 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Just want to disagree. Evasion, leaving, driving away--you name it--as far as I am concerned if SA pops into my head I am outtathere! I am not about to stare down anyone let them know I mean business per this thread when I have an alternate that requires nothing but staying in my car/truck and driving away.
    Hummm. I must think on this disagreement a while. At face value it seems we are comparing apples and oranges. Hummm

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO now Free
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

That's one way to think of it.

Depends on the location, proximity of the folks, proximity to cover, whether you're armed and capable of holding someone off at that spot, as opposed to having to drive a car while attempting to do so.

As the OP's situation shows, driving away is no magic cure by itself. They followed, and they could easily have done "the deed" wherever.

Depends on circumstances.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    If I carried a Keltec, I would feel exactly the same way. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The OP's dogs needed a pit stop, so he didn't have many options. Maybe he could have pulled out of the rest area and stopped along the side of the road a few miles down, but I guess the need to go was urgent! Consider this - the the two guys were just taking a break and were keeping an eye on the OP because their SA was on high-alert. And when they saw him holster his pistol, they moved away and were ready to take off if anything went south for them!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links