How Not To Get Killed at the Airport

This is a discussion on How Not To Get Killed at the Airport within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting read How Not To Get Killed at the Airport | Active Response Training...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: How Not To Get Killed at the Airport

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

How Not To Get Killed at the Airport

StormRhydr likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I got that handled. I dont fly so Im no place near the planes and not in the controlled area if im picking someone up or dropping them off so I can be armed to the teeth.

Key here is I DONT FLY. Personally Id rather deal with terrorists than get on another airplane. At least on the ground I have some control.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    With over 5000 hours in the cockpit I abhor flying as a passenger; I have not flown since I retired in 1991 and do not plan to.
    USM1976, OD*, archer51 and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I only flew three times, once before 911 and twice after (the last time was in 2007), and I hated the experience more each time. I never really got used to it, as I thought I might, and now I see the whole process is even worse then ever before.

No thanks... the best way for me to avoid airplane/airport tragedy is to not be there in the first place if at all possible. I don't care much for placing my life and safety as well as others in the hands of a scant few whom I do not know, cannot see, and where the slightest mistake could mean an unsurvivable instant death.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    In the 'NO GUN ZONE' = use your Tactical Pen! - to heck with the shooter, just take them out! Rush them. Heck, they are going to shoot you if you don't.

We all know the TSA ain't trained to do it for you.

Point! Now we are supposed to arm these TSA Idiots!? THEY ARE NOT OFFICERS. They are not trained as you Feds or LEO, they are morons.

That will surely make us safer.......... cannot wait for that......
    Last edited by ANGLICO; November 21st, 2013 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Spellin = Thank you Unionized Public Education
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    In the 'NO GUN ZONE' = use your Tactical Pen! - to heck with the shooter, just take them out! Rush them. Heck, they are going to shoot you if you don't.

We all know the TSA ain't trained to do it for you.

Point! Now we are supposed to arm these TSA Idiots!? THEY ARE NOT OFFICERS. They are not trained as you Feds or LEO, they are morons.

That will surely make us safer.......... cannot wait for that......
    That's what airport police are for. Took out the LA gunman quickly enough.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I haven't flown since 9/11 and have no real desire to. However I suppose I will probably have to do so; I am planning to attend some training in Vegas, and it's probably not going to be practical to drive there. Oh, joy...time for colonoscapy from TSA.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I bet that dead TSA agent would argue the semantics of "quickly enough". You know, if he wasn't dead, I mean.
    Bad Bob, blitzburgh, OD* and 3 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    No, not quickly enough for the one killed and those wounded.
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I fly so frequently that keeping track of how many times would be pointless and easily forgotten. I do just about everything on that list except carry a medical kit and avoiding large groups of people (good luck with that, anyways). I always arrive at the airport two hours before my flight (sometimes earlier, depends on the airport and/or if it's a holiday), I check my bags at the curb and already have my ticket printed out. I know I'll have to empty my pockets, take off my shoes, belt, etc. so I make sure I have as little as possible in my pockets and dress in a way that I can get through security quicker (slip on shoes or laces that don't need to be untied and retied). Once through security, I head towards my gate and find a place close to it to sit down and eat and have a drink or two while waiting.

All in all, I'm a fan of flying and visiting new airports. It's always an interesting experience for me. I've also yet to encounter any of these ever so invasive and violating TSA agents I always read and hear about.
    sfreed, Ksgunner and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

What bothers me is ,,, many airports have no real armed security, or on site response units. NY, L/A, D-C, and other major airports have dedicated police that are trained for such incidents... What does everyone's local airport have ?

I live in Broward County Fla... Our airport has depity sherif's. From what I can see they are mostly concerned with traffic. There may be plain clothes people bit I never spoted one. No armed security. An occasional ICE, or Border/customs officer.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    How not to get killed? Just walk in there, do your business and walk out. The odds of being shot in an airport is ASTRONOMICAL. We are talking like 1 in a billion. The drive to the airport is many many orders of magnitude more dangerous. Taking a shower before getting in the car is way more dangerous. Food poisoning before getting in the shower is more likely.

Agreed, OutWestSystems. While at an airport, I've never thought of "what will I do if an active shooter/terrorist starts blasting away?". It's just not something I worry about happening. Some may call me out on/for this thinking, but oh well. I don't completely throw my SA out the window while at an airport, but I do feel pretty safe and comfortable while there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    What bothers me is ,,, many airports have no real armed security, or on site response units. NY, L/A, D-C, and other major airports have dedicated police that are trained for such incidents... What does everyone's local airport have ?

I live in Broward County Fla... Our airport has depity sherif's. From what I can see they are mostly concerned with traffic. There may be plain clothes people bit I never spoted one. No armed security. An occasional ICE, or Border/customs officer.
    At Myrtle Beach International, all the LEO's seem to care about is if you've been parked at the curb for longer than 5 minutes, so traffic. I've seen them walk drug/bomb dogs throughout it, but maybe only two or three times out of like 50 times of being there. It's actually the most lax on security airport I've ever been in and it's quite small.

Pittsburgh International is the exact opposite and a completely different story.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I hate flying, but do so more often than I want. I don't worry about it until the wheels leave earth. But I've found that a quick stop at the lounge and a few shots of Kentuckys best calms me.

Sometimes, despite all your preparations, training, and precautions, it's just your time to go. Get your head around that, and it makes life itself less stressful.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links